OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - Revived

Post by LordAzamath »

As requested, I coded it...I have to admit two things though...The sides of the roof don't have enough contrast in between them and maybe the company colour is too bright... I set the cc to yellow in-game so you could see it in screenshot.

Again, any tweaks or stuff is very welcome :)
Attachments
muhaw.png
muhaw.png (133.6 KiB) Viewed 5981 times
OpenGFX_-_newInfrastructure_-_railDepot_v0.2.grf
(4.12 KiB) Downloaded 1231 times
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

The cc stripe does look a bit out of place... I'm thinking making them narrower might solve it.
#################
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

The walls could use some more texturing. And yes, now it's in game, the roof definitely needs darkening in my opinion. The shape is good, you just need to tweak the colours a bit. And yes, colours is the most difficult part of designing something. It takes a lot of trial and error to get it just right.

I also made a less modern bus station. Here's both in one screenshot. I think that the modern one needs to have some grey stripes on the roof, just like the not-so-modern one. Also, the not-so-modern station might be considered a derived work; although I drew it completely from scratch, the shape of the roofs is almost identical to the standard bus stop roofs. Maybe it doesn't matter if we tell nobody :mrgreen:

The stations still lack shading on the ground tile, but I won't do that untill I get Zephyris' proper base tiles.
Attachments
bus-stations-2.png
bus-stations-2.png (3.66 KiB) Viewed 5895 times
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Zephyris wrote:Re: Ben_K - I don't really like the tunnels myself, but they are about the best I can do. Feel free to modify them!
Well, I'd offer you the BK Tunnels but sadly I don't think they are generic enough to fit the OpenGFX project. If I get enough time I will take a look at them. Im a bit short at the moment though. :(
lordazamath wrote:...[modern depot]...
I think the roof needs more definition and contrast. I also think the CC is way too prominent. Id recommend just adding 2CC signs or doors rather than large areas. Sometimes smaller is bigger... ;)
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

i've been toying around with pax and mail wagons today, and tbh, it's a b**** to make them when you don't have an engine to model it after. Atleast to make it look good in both _ and / views... getting the windows proper tinted, as well as a nice color to the wagon, and not let it be too pale.
Member of the
ImageImage
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Zephyris wrote:OpenGFX - newInfrastructure v0.2
[...]
looking at the road tunnel, i can see they still have the weird difference of size between entrance and exit

i think is not sufficient to repaint all the old graphics to have open new ones, they should be redrawn from scratch
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

7of9: Can you give a try to align the NS view one pixel to the right. It might look better.
lordazamath wrote:baahh...I knew somehow I can't draw...
Come on. Your Bank is great. You may need some hints though. Now I consider this WIP, but check the contrast of shading on the brick walls. There is no difference at all. Both sides are the same. So if you lighten the sunlight side the roof might not need darkening. And let me raise a thumb for the grey part of the wall. I was going to use that in the road depot, finally I dropped it, but now you use it. :]
lordazamath wrote:Athanasios..you should update toyland road depot... And Zephyris your latest Toyland terrain shares GrfID with your latest OpenIndustries release...
I suppose we do not need to bother as these are test versions, as Zephyris explained...

A concern about maglev: Maglev track is cut into the ground. Stations are elevated from the ground. So how do passengers get into the train? If you check the train in the station in looks like that for one side they have to go through the roof :lol: . It seems as if a mismatch is created between the 2 sides. ?( Maglev train must have an in the track part and above the track part. And these have to fit properly in stations. Need to lower the stations' base because the distance from platform to track base is too much? I am confused how to solve this glitch. Any idea?

Foobar: I also thought the bus station looked too modern. Because I like both, I vote for both versions depending on era. Also the roof of the modern structure, to my opinion, should be 1 or 2 pixels higher. Don't want to bump my head. :lol: [EDIT: NO. This is just a joke. Don't take it seriously. It is in scale. Just gives the illusion it is short, because there are not enough pixels to draw a decent bench.]

w0lv3n /2: Already something similar requested and answered. If possible, yes.

Sorry if I skipped something. This thread is skyrocketing :]

A point of view: Seems that we already have some extra graphics. Why to go for sprite to sprite replacement only? Then we would be infringing copyright laws. The extra sprites will help us differentiate the grf from the original one. In case someone argues: You used the same code and just replaced the sprites...
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: FooBar
Base tiles for bus/truck stop. These are generated in the same way as teh paved roads, so should match perfectly. They are simple 32bpp conversions, so may need some pixel tweaks...

Re: athanasios
The reason the maglev looks underground is because the edge of the platform has a fainter white line than the original. The dimensions of the new platform are the same as the old, but the shading at the edge is less sharp => lower contrast at the point of overlap of train and platform => less obvious overlap => looks too low. A solution would be to make the platform 2px wider, or the white line whiter. Or just leave it, it is a very minor perspective blip...
Attachments
stationcomparison.png
stationcomparison.png (28.33 KiB) Viewed 5495 times
Bus Stop Ground Tiles preview.png
Bus Stop Ground Tiles preview.png (4.69 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
Bus Stop Ground Tiles 8bpp.pcx
(5.04 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Nice looking road Zephyris, however, the dashed white lines go all the way up to the parking bays. If the bays are full, a bus might get stuck! ;)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

:P
And that station comparison really shows off how much better the new stations are :)
Attachments
Bus Stop Ground Tiles 8bpp.pcx
(5.03 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Bus Stop Ground Tiles 8bpp.png
Bus Stop Ground Tiles 8bpp.png (3.24 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Much better without the last dashed line! 8)
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I have been searching through my massive WIP folders and found the following train sprites which may be useful. They were designed for the "generic train monorail and maglev set" which I never got round to making. The zip contains wagons, with and without cargoes, cargo graphics, some trains and WIP sprites. They may be useful as a base for new graphics - I tried some in game and they are currently too low contrast imo.
Attachments
Trains.zip
(112.14 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Trains preview.png
Trains preview.png (13.2 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

here are a test of the pax/mail wagons i've been workin on. Well, the ones ive worked on have all been tossed in the bin as they looked wierd, but this is something that i've come up with.

Rather plain, rather simple, but they might just get the job done...???

1. Should i make them "all" connected? |_______||_______| and not |______| |______| if you get me, there are now 1px "magic blue" inbetween them.

Attached are the wagons with red CC and the original pcx in png-form
Attachments
pax1.PNG
pax1.PNG (18.54 KiB) Viewed 5353 times
8bbp-pax.png
8bbp-pax.png (7.47 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
Member of the
ImageImage
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

tbh I think they need a lot more shading, and less formulaic shading which takes into account the curvature of the roof, see attached.
Attachments
pax carriage demo.png
pax carriage demo.png (495 Bytes) Viewed 5320 times
pax carriage demo large.png
pax carriage demo large.png (1.13 KiB) Viewed 5320 times
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

thanx ;)

i'll add more shading/noise to it :)
Member of the
ImageImage
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Attached is the shading guide I used for my generic road vehicles, it may be useful...
Attachments
shading guide.png
shading guide.png (2.07 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

well, i dont think my shading issues are in the different views, but more the general "noise" or "texture" on the views... Not makeing them so surgical clean or sterile so to speak.
Member of the
ImageImage
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I'd stick with the 1px 'magic blue'. That makes more sense to me, as wagons need to have some space between each other in order to be able to make turns.

Anyways, how's this for a truck station? There's a small office and a storage shed. The office is equipped with a shotgun, to keep intruders away, because the fence needs to have an opening to allow trucks to get in. Intruders might also use that opening to get in. The sign reads 'intruders will be shot; survivors will be shot again'. Anyways, I'm drifting off. I think there needs to be something on the 'sidewalk', as that's quite empty now. Maybe steetlights? Maybe in CC, as it might use some more of that, too.
Attachments
rv-stations.png
rv-stations.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 5254 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

A sign? like the stations...
mph
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mph »

Maybe the bus station shelters could go right around the corner. Or maybe a little building or something. I think it looks a little strange as it is. Would those shelters look good on the drive through road stops?
A sign in the truck stop would look good i think. I really like that fence. (its a little bit like my railway fences. I've been trying to get round to using a fence like that for a building for ages!)
previously known as daylight

Return to “Graphics Development”