OpenGFX - Graphics Base Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [8bpp] Graphics Replacement Project - Revived

Post by LordAzamath »

Roujin wrote:@Gonozal: Thanks for information, so it seems to be a code issue rather than a grf issue. Well i'm positive that the devs will sort it out in no time :D

@lord: looking good as always :) I like it better than the original. Thanks @Red*Star for your permission i assume :)

ps: little comment about rail depot - at first sight it seems a little dark for me. One would have to test it in the game though to see how it really fits in.
ps2: is it tileable? meaning long depots for eyecandy? seems to be "the" thing nowadays, so... ;)
Yes Red*Star gave permission :)
About the Rail Depot, it indeed is tileable....64px wide and square (although isometric :D )

I updated the first post.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

New day - new goodies from 'arts team'. ;)

Roadmap for OTTD 0.7 used to contain graphics replacement.[0] Perhaps it is time to put it there again?

[0]: This sentence is made entirely of OTTD manual links... yay :D
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Re: Roujin
Hmmm... The temperate cost tiles are fine in my version (0.6 beta 2). The graphics for the coasts are done, and because the grf code is simple I would suggest it is a peculiarity of removing lepkka's water. Try starting a new game with just newterrain v0.2.

Re: lordazamath
Ahhh, glad to see that ship depot, I do love it :D
I like your train depot, two suggestions:
Add more highlights to the roof - the original is fairly light with very distinct highlights.
Add some "arches" to the side - again this is a distinctive feature of the original, and it would be good to imitate it.

Re: buttercup
Road depot is looking good (and better than the original :D) depending on the comments made in reference to the all round company colour I shall include in the next newinfrastructure...
*edit* Thanks to athanasios, lordazamath, Gonozal_VIII and buttercup for the graphics...

Re: pavel1269
Not sure what you mean by the black snow, presumably the strong shading... I like it so I am loathed to change it. All terrain is heavily based on the original shading/colours, and this is required for good compatibility with existing grfs, I'm afraid I won't change this either :(

Re: Mchl
Given 1756 of the ~6000 sprites are already drawn and coded in the newterrain/newinfrastructure/newindustries grfs then a complete set of graphics for the 0.7 release seems plausible! pm an openttd developer and see if they think this is a realistic aim then put it back in the wiki :)

*edit* Re: lordazamath
Digitalfox showed interest in working on the GUI - you may want to be in touch. We need 20x20 px icons (for build icons and toolbars) for all infrastructure items as they are drawn - work could start on the generic toolbars and completed infrastructure as soon as possible!

*edit* And just to show off the new iron ore mine I am working on. Buildings shamelessly stolen from the coal mine, just like with the original :D
Attachments
real iron ore mine.png
real iron ore mine.png (68.68 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Zephyris wrote:Given 1756 of the ~6000 sprites are already drawn and coded ... then a complete set of graphics for the 0.7 release seems plausible!
Even if it is not a complete set it is large enough to officialy start replacing graphics from now! OK, in my opinion, it should become part of the trunk after the 0.6 is released.

Zephyris: Your work is amazing. I suggest you add some more dirt/noise to your sprites. They are very smooth to what we are used. If it is not easy due to lack of time proceed and do this later. As I 've already said first we should work to finish the sprites and if something needs improvement we can do it later. (I volunteer for such work. I may be lazy to draw a whole sprite, but tweaking it is my pleasure. :)) ) I admire the new factory. Ten times better than original.

lordazamath: Proceed with the train depot. It looks somewhat rough. Makes a contrast with Zephyris work. :lol: We should go for the middle. Ship depot is superb.

Gonozal_VIII, buttercup: Good ideas. Pity we cannot have a middle wall in road depot. Needs new code. I was thinking of that when started tweaking the depot. :( I incorporated your work in a new version with some more tweaks:
1. Walls are no more thin paper.
2. New company color around the building schema.
3. Readjusted position of depot on base tile.
4. Tweaked 2 or 3 pixels to look better when you join 2 depots on the long axis.
5. Resized inner view side walls (were 1 pixel shorter).
6. Changed shading of left inner side wall (was wrong, lacked shadow that is cast from depot's roof).
Improvements from original depot (TTD):
1. Company color displayed on all sides of depot to help identify owner.
2. Depot entrance is taller. So double-decker buses can fit better. (We can increase height if needed. I didn't because it goes out of the gui buttons.)
3. Walls are thinner. (Original seems as if walls are 2 pixels thick. That is too much for the scale used. So I made them 1 pixel thick.)
4. Depot is tileable on the long axis.

So here it is:

OpenGFX - newRoadDepots v0.4
Attachments
road_depots_screenshot.png
road_depots_screenshot.png (19.97 KiB) Viewed 5978 times
OpenGFX_newRoadDep.grf
(4.9 KiB) Downloaded 1071 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

Way to go! The new depot indeed DOES look better than original IMO.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Works like a charm..I think I'll update wiki to set it done.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

athanasios: If we go into 'nit-picking mode', I'd suggest adding a bit of shadow on the floor:
Attachments
Example27.png
Example27.png (4.84 KiB) Viewed 5872 times
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

AndersI wrote:athanasios: If we go into 'nit-picking mode', I'd suggest adding a bit of shadow on the floor:
I already thought about it (err, I recall that the same counsel was given on another thread :wink: ). Also I don't consider it nit-picking. I just worked on existing sprites in the new road depots grf.

If you can code it, you are welcome to add it, cause it looks very cool. I wouldn't do it better.* (Well, you are more experienced than me.) Lordazamath won't say no for sure. :mrgreen:

*Some will argue though for how big the shadow is, since they assume the sun is SE... don't listen to them... :lol:

regards
athanasios
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Athanasios how dare you? :mrgreen:

Anyhow I've got a message...

1. Zephyris, DigitalFox said you'd must confuzed something, he did not want to draw GUI himself.
2. That leads to another thing.. I tried and learned that I can't draw GUI properly, so the market is opened to the highest bidder :) As I understand Zephyris draws other things. :D
3. And I'm away from cpu til Sunday that means I can't draw or do anything in meantime...I expect I can get access to cpu if needed but if not, contact Soeb and Zephyris instead. And ofcourse show us what you have done :)

PS. Athanasios....The GUI isn't so bug than other sprites..What do you think, want to draw?
edit:
*Some will argue though for how big the shadow is, since they assume the sun is SE... don't listen to them...
isn't it east?
edit2 ok I thought over it...it's se :D
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Sooo, toyland.
In the spirit of the replacement effort so far I have made some new 8bpp terrain sprites in the checker board style (ie. not brickland), what does everyone think? They are much lower contrast than the original.

My plan for the new toyland graphics is to make them usable and surreal - an (almost) normal landscape with bizarre buildings, trees and industries. Rough ground will be rough ground, roads and rail will be normal colours... Comments?

Re: lordazamath
Oops, misread DigitalFox's comment, he thought the GUI should have a high priority, not that he was interested himself...

Re: athanasios
The smooth appearance comes from the way I draw the sprites - 32bpp, add 20% noise, convert to 8bpp with dither (max dither, paint.net with pcx plugin). I'll try bumping it up to 25/30% noise and see if it helps. And feel free to tweak any of my sprites, you have a great eye for detail!
Attachments
toyland landscape.png
toyland landscape.png (20.79 KiB) Viewed 5749 times
toyland landscape old.png
toyland landscape old.png (12.5 KiB) Viewed 5742 times
Thalass
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Thalass »

This is all great work!

For the GUI, could you not 8bit-erize the 32bit gui? That would give the two versions some commonality, and would help ease the transition between the two or something.

Also: For the trees in the toyland scenery: I vote for Giraffes growing out of the ground. :p
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Thalass wrote:This is all great work!

For the GUI, could you not 8bit-erize the 32bit gui? That would give the two versions some commonality, and would help ease the transition between the two or something.

Also: For the trees in the toyland scenery: I vote for Giraffes growing out of the ground. :p
hmm..I said I won't do anything..I lied I still got some hours of time ;)
the upper row is 32bpp and lower 8bpp
Attachments
ohoo.png
ohoo.png (29.19 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Iron ore mine for chopping and coding...

The problem with using those icons for the GUI is that it sets a precedence for all the icons to be in the same aqua-like style... Who originally drew them, and could they be persuaded to make all the other icons too?
Attachments
Iron Ore Mine 8bpp 1.png
Iron Ore Mine 8bpp 1.png (39.7 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

A preview grf for the toyland terrain, please say what you think!
Attachments
newterraintoyland.grf
(108.3 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
toyland preview.png
toyland preview.png (68.21 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Everything is super exept coast..I guess you haven't done anything with it?
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention no coasts yet...
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

lordazamath wrote:With the decree of His Excellency, Zephyris, all old Factories everywhere are to be demolished. New ones to be built. Decree is to be committed immedeatly.
You know what, that looks pretty strange. Why not make a big factory that covers the same area, instead of 3 smaller ones? Would look better & more realistic IMO.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

would it be possible to a certain degree expand the available vehicles with this set? i mean, some ID's can be shared over the different climates, so the set actually can contain some more goodies then the original :)

Examples:
Double decker coaches
More interchangebility between similar wagons. (oil/water can use same, all ores can use same, etc)
high capacity subway coaches

and with some programming; add a 5th system so that subways can be made (perhaps in the area of 7 subways from 1920 to 2020 or so, limited to two tilelengths, and at most recent one could have a HIGH capacity, perhaps in the area of 700 ppl, but limited to 120/130kmh or around there as well).

When we are at it, why not improve the whole game as we are at it, just not replace sprite x with slightly cooler and more legal sprite X if you get what i mean. Im no expert drawer yet, and no expert coder either, but i can help if you want me to. I can atleast try.
Member of the
ImageImage
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

This project cannot improve on the original game, as it is simply exchanging the graphics from the original game files. However it will provide a library of freely usable graphics which can be used to make newGRFs to extend the game. The basic game graphics, which had to be copied from ttd on installation are not newGRFs, they are simply GRFs - all the coding done in pseudo sprites is not recognised so no new features can be added without loading a separate newGRF.
Sir A. Boey
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sir A. Boey »

Hey lordazamath love that new bar but will that bar be released as a .tar or .grf file?

great work 8o
lordazamath posted:Image
_____________# If you believe in it, you can achieve it" # ____________
__________________# Check out My Closed Platform #___________________

Return to “Graphics Development”