Road vehicles and overtaking

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Trippynet
Engineer
Engineer

Road vehicles and overtaking

Post by Trippynet »

Put bluntly, why are faster road vehicles so hopeless at overtaking slower ones?

Elaborating, I'm currently going for an all-road-vehicle company for a change and have been building up nice big highways and whatnot whilst using the TTS grf for towns and GRTVS for lots of nice road vehicles. Unfortunately, I'm still ending up with far too much congestion when running fast busses with slower mail trucks on my highways. The two problems I've seen are:

1) Bus starts to overtake a mail truck. Gets about a third of the way along side it, then suddenly stops and tucks back in behind the mail truck again instead of finishing the overtaking manoeuvre. This is despite there being no bend or junction on this stretch of highway.

2) Sometimes, a bus will just not bother to overtake resulting in a chain of busses all driving along slowly behind the mail truck despite there being an empty overtaking lane sitting there.

Is this something which may be looked at in future builds of OpenTTD? Only I've actually found building up a road vehicle empire to be quite good fun and unfortunately the hopeless overtaking kind of puts a spanner in the works when looking at large road networks really.
zypa
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Road vehicles and overtaking

Post by zypa »

I've just tried to reproduce this problem. Unfortunately all vehicles uvertook each other perfectly.

However. Maybe oneway roads solve your problem.
I'm not quite sure, it might be that one way roads are not in 0.5.3 or 0.6.x beta.
I'm sure that they are in the latest nightly.

See openttd's wiki. URL: http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Road_ ... -way_roads
jaybud4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jaybud4 »

One-ways are available in all 0.6 versions as far as I know.
If you're bugged by anything I say/do: Please send me a PM. I don't always watch every thread I post in after I do so.
Trippynet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trippynet »

I am using one way roads and have a fairly recent nightly (r12059).

I've attached a couple of screenshots showing the problem. In image1, you can see the huge queue of busses which has formed behind the slower mail truck. These busses have driven all the way along this road and none of them have tried to overtake the mail truck.

In the second screenshot (image2), you can see (1) another mail truck with several busses all behind it, none of which are overtaking it. On the other carriageway (2), there is a bus overtaking a mail truck. This overtake may or may not work as sometimes the bus will get to where it is in that screenshot, then suddenly stop and tuck back in behind the mail truck. If another bus has caught up such that 2 busses are now nose to tail, then none of those busses will attempt to overtake the mail truck again and a big tailback is the result.
Attachments
image1.png
image1.png (158.52 KiB) Viewed 276 times
image2.png
image2.png (168.75 KiB) Viewed 3150 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”