New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

j0rdax
Engineer
Engineer

Re: New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread

Post by j0rdax »

The ships are still in early WIP stage. Lots to be done.
Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believes...
Mat 10:32 "So I will acknowledge in front of my Father in heaven that person who acknowledges me in front of others.
Mat 10:33 But I will tell my Father in heaven that I don't know the person who tells others that he doesn't know me.
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

The ships look good, but I'd say the renders are currently too dark. Lightening them would improve the detail and clarity significantly
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

I like these ships. I have made a mockup with one ship. I have increased its luminance a bit.
Attachments
Ship.
Ship.
ships.JPEG (117.74 KiB) Viewed 6005 times
Ships and bridge. The train under WIP state.
Ships and bridge. The train under WIP state.
ships2.JPEG (228.06 KiB) Viewed 711 times
Last edited by maquinista on 14 Aug 2009 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

I think that makes the containers too shiny... they shouldn't look all new imo since they're exposed to the weather 24/7 ;)
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Grolsch
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Grolsch »

Indeed, the containers should be less colorful and a bit dirty. Check the images provided by Google:
http://images.google.com/images?q=container+ship
Beer equals power
tsjook
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tsjook »

Time to build my second building. I would like to contribute this time and I'm planning on taking this building: http://wiki.openttd.org/Image:Shopsandoffices.png It's WIP by Gramble, who hasn't posted since March 2008. And tbh I don't really like the 32bbp picture of it on the wiki. Can I take it? Is someone else busy with it?
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

tsjook wrote:Time to build my second building. I would like to contribute this time and I'm planning on taking this building: http://wiki.openttd.org/Image:Shopsandoffices.png It's WIP by Gramble, who hasn't posted since March 2008. And tbh I don't really like the 32bbp picture of it on the wiki. Can I take it? Is someone else busy with it?
Yes, You can take it and start a new building. It doesn't have construction stages, because It is a early building.

If Gramble wants continue their building I can add it to a new GRF file and have both. There are too many buildings in "forever WIP" state, and some of them are almost done.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
cid.67
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cid.67 »

tsjook wrote:Time to build my second building. I would like to contribute this time and I'm planning on taking this building: http://wiki.openttd.org/Image:Shopsandoffices.png It's WIP by Gramble, who hasn't posted since March 2008. And tbh I don't really like the 32bbp picture of it on the wiki. Can I take it? Is someone else busy with it?
i don't think it could be a problem if you want to make this shop.it's still WIP but it seems like many started to make models but
have given up. :rolleyes:

@j0rdax:very nice ships.
tsjook
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tsjook »

And one last thing: what about the scale?

The wiki:
In maximum zoom level one square equals 12,5 m x 12,5 m equals 64px across. This is the basic unit for railway tracks and roads. As the buildings in the original Transport Tycoon look as if they are about 25 m x 25 m per square, many new buildings will occupy 2 x 2 new 12,5 m squares.
So it's ok if I model this building on a 2x2 floor? Would probably work better for a tall building like this. Tried searching for it in the forum, but the last result I got were from way back.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

tsjook wrote:And one last thing: what about the scale?

The wiki:
In maximum zoom level one square equals 12,5 m x 12,5 m equals 64px across. This is the basic unit for railway tracks and roads. As the buildings in the original Transport Tycoon look as if they are about 25 m x 25 m per square, many new buildings will occupy 2 x 2 new 12,5 m squares.
So it's ok if I model this building on a 2x2 floor? Would probably work better for a tall building like this. Tried searching for it in the forum, but the last result I got were from way back.
If you want your building to replace that particular sprite, then you have to respect its size.

Btw, scale in TTD is not consistent in any way, you can adjust the scale ass you need (as long as it look good :) ).
tsjook
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tsjook »

Well, I like building according to scale more.

I'll still manage with 12,5x12,5m I guess, but there will just be little space around the building, but that's just like the original.

Thank you.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

tsjook wrote:Well, I like building according to scale more.

I'll still manage with 12,5x12,5m I guess, but there will just be little space around the building, but that's just like the original.

Thank you.
You can try render the first stages of the model, and place it over a screenshot of OTTD. Also, I use the mouse pointer as reference, It is like a person in height.

Also, You can publish screenshots of Your work, and We can give you some suggestions.
tsjook
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tsjook »

Quick first version. I'm posting it because I would like your opinion on whether I've gone too much astray from the original, and of course whether it's any good at all. :wink: It is still very very much unfinished.

It looks quite different on first sight but I respected the general purpose of the building, and of course the historic building style. Only added one floor to match the originals dimensions a little more, but if I want it to look quite as tall, I guess I need to add another 1-2 large (3 metre) floors.

What I mean with a British store(/pub) front (the image says Scottish): http://www.bagsofchange.co.uk/images/194.jpg (Couldn't find the original Glasgow picture that inspired me)
Attachments
Shops &amp; Offices 1
Shops & Offices 1
shopsoffices1.png (54.15 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

tsjook wrote:Quick first version. I'm posting it because I would like your opinion on whether I've gone too much astray from the original, and of course whether it's any good at all. :wink: It is still very very much unfinished.

It looks quite different on first sight but I respected the general purpose of the building, and of course the historic building style. Only added one floor to match the originals dimensions a little more, but if I want it to look quite as tall, I guess I need to add another 1-2 large (3 metre) floors.

What I mean with a British store(/pub) front (the image says Scottish): http://www.bagsofchange.co.uk/images/194.jpg (Couldn't find the original Glasgow picture that inspired me)
I like it. It is smaller than the original building, but It fits better in game. Maybe a bit bigger could look better (10% or less). Also, You can use a taller ground floor.

There is a mistake in preview: There is colors in the roof, I forgot to remove it before save the image.
Attachments
Preview. Use Your mouse pointer like a person, and &quot;walk&quot; over the image in order to compare the size of buildings.
Preview. Use Your mouse pointer like a person, and "walk" over the image in order to compare the size of buildings.
building in game.JPEG (122.59 KiB) Viewed 5457 times
tsjook
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tsjook »

Yes, I will add at least an extra metre to the ground floor.

And an extra floor could be added quite easily later on.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Someone was saying something about shipping containers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRaWHEnIqbs
http://calculatedimages.blogspot.com/20 ... -maps.html

I have attached a version with low-res textures (400x400px), feel free to used!
Attachments
Container_LowRes_Final.zip
(328.27 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Zephyris wrote:Someone was saying something about shipping containers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRaWHEnIqbs
http://calculatedimages.blogspot.com/20 ... -maps.html

I have attached a version with low-res textures (400x400px), feel free to used!
Thanks! It's awesome.

It can be useful in new stations GRFs or trainsets.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Let me know if you need the high-res textures, those ones should probably juust about do tho...
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

@ j0rdax i think your tanker looks too short and wide
i dont know if there is a limit or anything stopping you
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
lead@inbox
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by lead@inbox »

harmony II
feel free to use :)
0005.png
0005.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
harmony.7z
blender file
(76.33 KiB) Downloaded 159 times