Patch: small timetable usability improvements

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

lcd_47
Engineer
Engineer

Patch: small timetable usability improvements

Post by lcd_47 »

The attached patch makes five changes to the functionality of the timetable windows:
  • Ctrl+Click on Change Speed Limits sets maximum travel speed for all relevant orders
  • Ctrl+Click on Clear Speed Limits clears speed limits from all orders
  • Ctrl+Click on Change Time sets time limits for all relevant orders
  • Ctrl+Click on Clear Time clears time limits from all orders
  • Disables time limits for conditional orders.
Setting and clearing speed limits for all orders at once is useful f.i. when upgrading locomotives: set maximum speed to the maximum speed of the old engines, run the upgrade, then clear limits when the upgrade is finished. This makes the new vehicles run temporarily at the same speed as the old ones, which avoids traffic jams caused by the "stutters" of faster trains trapped behind slower ones. The patch reduces the pain of applying this trick to trains with long list orders. :)

Ideally, being able to set and clear global speed limits should be a feature of vehicle groups rather than shared timetables, but the "obvious" user interface for it seems awkward. But being able to do it per shared timetables is still a lot better than having to do it per order.

On the other hand, the times in timetables refer to either waiting times at stations, or to scheduled travel times.

Setting and clearing waiting times at stations for all stations at once is, of course, useful when doing separation for PAX vehicles. Setting travel times to the same value for all orders is probably less than useful, but it comes free with the other features. And being able to clear all travel times at once however is useful, and is a quick way to reset the timetable.

Last but not least: it's currently possible to set and clear time limits to the conditions in conditional orders. This seems to be a bug, or at least I can't think of any situation when such limits would make sense. Thus the patch simply disables the time buttons for conditional orders.
Attachments
multi_speed_limits.diff
(7.52 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Last edited by lcd_47 on 09 Nov 2015 18:01, edited 3 times in total.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Patch: small timetable usability improvements

Post by Eddi »

what i always missed was a distinction between "this section is not timetabled" and "this section takes 0 days/ticks"
lcd_47
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Patch: small timetable usability improvements

Post by lcd_47 »

Eddi wrote:what i always missed was a distinction between "this section is not timetabled" and "this section takes 0 days/ticks"
True, but that would be more of a data structure change. The itch I was trying to scratch was about applying the same change over and over again to a few dozen orders. Different scope...

Return to “OpenTTD Development”