Town Replacement

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MrRB
Engineer
Engineer

Town Replacement

Post by MrRB »

Hello all,

Just a question that popped up, when I was searching for town replacement in ottd. I get a bit tired from the frivolous colors from the total town replacement set. So I searched for more realistic, but still modern city buildings.

Does anyone know whether such set exists (I couldn't find anything useful) or whether such thing is in development by someone?

Thanks a lot in advance for any answers you can give me!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Town Replacement

Post by planetmaker »

I doubt there can be a 'more realistic' set than TTRS - as it was already modelled with realism in mind. But maybe your towns are a bit more boring than those the TTRS was conceived after.

However there's a number of different house sets and you're definitely invited to give a try whether they're more to your liking. Notably there are the UK houses and the swedisch houses and the japanese houses - though there surely are some more which I forgot.
MrRB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrRB »

planetmaker wrote:I doubt there can be a 'more realistic' set than TTRS - as it was already modelled with realism in mind. But maybe your towns are a bit more boring than those the TTRS was conceived after.

However there's a number of different house sets and you're definitely invited to give a try whether they're more to your liking. Notably there are the UK houses and the swedisch houses and the japanese houses - though there surely are some more which I forgot.

Thanks Planetmaker, for your reaction.

I don't really know what you mean with "But maybe your towns are a bit more boring than those the TTRS was conceived after.". Because every town develops differently...

Plus I'm not talking about the form of the buildings by the way, but rather, the colors. When a city grows big, it becomes a blur of bright colors. I'm all in favor of some bright colors, this is a bit too much for me. Plus the repetiveness of the buildings a little bit, but that's only natural, because you'd have to have way more building designs to ban that.

I'm also not complaining about the smaller cities and towns, those building designs are just great I think. It's really the final stage, the big cities.

Yes, I saw the other sets, but the UK set I find a bit dull and hoar. Also the Swedish, now I have downloaded the Japanese set, and I'll look what that has to offer.

Is there a (simple) way to add existing building designs, be it by themselves or in existing sets, into the TTRS? So you have a more diverse supply of buildings?

Thanks again!
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

You could try the North American City Set, its buildings are much more dull and bland-colored than TTRS.

Examples (from screenshots by the talented ISA):

Small screenshot
Medium screenshot
Huge screenshot 1
Huge screenshot 2
Huge screenshot 3

[To get this grf, you'll need to download the OTTDCoop grf bundle, it contains the NACity grf under town_buildings.]
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I rarely use TTRS anymore for the same reasons you mentioned. Here's samples from the town sets I use the most:

Swedish Houses has some nice bland modern buildings (and some lovely old style row houses too)

Also try Japanese Buildings, it does share many graphics with TTRS, but overall I find the colour schemes to be more tasteful, even with the addition of the flashy Japanese neon signs. Also it limits some of the bigger, more prominent skyscrapers to one per town so your cities don't become littered with those giant green skyscrapers like they do in TTRS.

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Supercheese wrote:You could try the North American City Set, its buildings are much more dull and bland-colored than TTRS.

[To get this grf, you'll need to download the OTTDCoop grf bundle, it contains the NACity grf under town_buildings.]
You don't have to. There is a Web Archive of Aegir's work. http://web.archive.org/web/201203171848 ... ing%20Sets
MrRB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrRB »

Thanks all!

The North American set I don't quite like it, but like Emperor Jake mentioned, the Japanese and probably the Swedish set are worth a try. I thought the Swedish set was kind of like the English set, with old and dull looking buildings, but I quite like the screenshot. Also the advantages mentioned about the skyscrapers in the Japanese set, I absolutely agree with. It doesn't become such a mess of big, bright colored buildings.

Thanks all for your help.

One more question remains:
Can I add (in a relatively simple way) separate building designs/buildings of other town replacement sets in a singe set. So sort of put together your own town replacement set.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

MrRB wrote:Can I add (in a relatively simple way) separate building designs/buildings of other town replacement sets in a singe set. So sort of put together your own town replacement set.
That's basically creating a brand new town replacement set - just borrowing the graphics from other sets to create your own. The graphic development section of this board is the right place to discuss how to go about it. I see that at least Swedish set, Japanese set, UK set and TTRS are available as opensource here.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

You can add more than one town grf and most will play nicely with each other. I use the UK townset and Swedish houses at the same time. I'm not too worried about how it looks as I find myself making building transparent so I can see other things. (but I think it looks fine).

I do sometimes set out to play an eyecandy game but it ends up being a game where I'm moving as much cargo as I can... :(

Return to “OpenTTD Development”