OpenTTD for Windows Store

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Seven11
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD for Windows Store

Post by Seven11 »

Could OpenTTD be available for the Windows Store? During Christmastime I switched out my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700 for a Surface 2 with Windows RT 8.1, and I realized that OpenTTD wasn't available for the Windows Store, and since my Surface is an RT tablet, it can't download online EXE files. So I think that OpenTTD, in its next update, should come out for the Windows Store, so I can download it on my Surface RT. Can the OpenTTD techs do that? That would be appreciated. :D
Last edited by Seven11 on 25 Apr 2015 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
Sylf
President
President

Re: OpenTTD for Windows Store

Post by Sylf »

Looking at threads like this and this, it look like there aren't enough demand from Windows RT users (and thus no official support) and no volunteers stepping up to make it happen (as opposed to the Android version, which is currently maintained by an independent volunteer, and not a part of official OpenTTD release).
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

If you wait for Windows 10, they (MS) says that applications there are universal and can run on any Win10 device. Hopefully that means that OpenTTD exe will run on your device when you get the free Win10 update.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

WinRT will get an update but not to win10
Seven11
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Seven11 »

I know about the update for Windows 10. I had signed up for further notices about updates and release. Hopefully the update will come out soon! :lol:
Seven11
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Seven11 »

Actually, is there enough support to get OpenTTD for Apple devices that are iOS 4.2.1 or later? That would be great. :)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Seven11 wrote:Actually, is there enough support to get OpenTTD for Apple devices that are iOS 4.2.1 or later? That would be great. :)
There's a lot of support, but it doesn't matter. Apple does not allow open source software in the app store, and OpenTTD cannot change its license to accommodate app store terms in any way.
minexew
Engineer
Engineer

Post by minexew »

kamnet wrote:
Seven11 wrote:Actually, is there enough support to get OpenTTD for Apple devices that are iOS 4.2.1 or later? That would be great. :)
There's a lot of support, but it doesn't matter. Apple does not allow open source software in the app store, and OpenTTD cannot change its license to accommodate app store terms in any way.
VLC made it.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

VLC also changed licenses and worked with a third party commercial developer in order to do so. The OpenTTD developers cannot do this because it would require the consent of those who contributed previously, and some of those individuals are no longer around to give consent. OpenTTD developers refuse to compromise themselves because of Apple's inflexibility. There is also the additional costs of not only maintaining an Apple App store account, but for the annual developer license required in order to generate a valid installation certificate. Considering that (as far as I know) the OpenTTD development team doesn't have an individual dedicated to iOS development, it seems like too much work for no valid gains at all.

If you're willing to root your iOS device, though, you could take the OpenTTD source code and compile it yourself, and even offer it with the GPL license in-tact through an alternative repository.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”