Player Faces development?

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kamnet

Player Faces development?

Post by kamnet »

I realize that this is probably one of the least important parts of the game, but lately it's just come to irk me a lot.

The biggest thing that irks me is that the settings are not consistent. For example, here's how all the faces look when setting is set to "1".
faces.png
faces.png (30.31 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
The only consistency is with the jacket and collars. I would at least think that all the facial features would be the same, the only difference being skin tone. Would it be possible, in theory, to get all of these settings to align equally and logically?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Player Faces development?

Post by planetmaker »

kamnet wrote:I realize that this is probably one of the least important parts of the game, but lately it's just come to irk me a lot.

The biggest thing that irks me is that the settings are not consistent. For example, here's how all the faces look when setting is set to "1".
faces.png
The only consistency is with the jacket and collars. I would at least think that all the facial features would be the same, the only difference being skin tone. Would it be possible, in theory, to get all of these settings to align equally and logically?
Yes. Those are only sprites with numbers in the base set(s). If you go and put them in a (more) logical order, it's something we can start talking about and re-arrange them in the base sets we have rights to modify.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

OTOH, do the OpenGFX faces currently correlate to the original faces? If you change the order, are (silly) people going to complain that "their" face now looks completely different to people using different base sets?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Kinda... sorta? (BTW, whoever did the OpenGFX faces, THANK YOU! They look much nicer than original TTD faces!
Attachments
faces2.png
faces2.png (24.97 KiB) Viewed 7518 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

PikkaBird wrote:OTOH, do the OpenGFX faces currently correlate to the original faces? If you change the order, are (silly) people going to complain that "their" face now looks completely different to people using different base sets?
That may be and I don't know by heart the amount of similarity. But I'm willing to risk breaking that. They look differently anyway, so looking differently different won't change much really while it can improve the average user experience.

The faces in OpenGFX were drawn by Ben Robbins, Zephyris and Jonha
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Also curious if you can expand on some features. For example, more earring and eyeglasses designs? And could you have more than just European or African faces available simultaneously?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

kamnet wrote:Also curious if you can expand on some features. For example, more earring and eyeglasses designs? And could you have more than just European or African faces available simultaneously?
yes, under the same condition as applies to every feature which adds new sprites to OpenTTD: you write the corresponding patches and provide the necessary sprites, the patches for grfcodec and nml, and the necessary patches to integrate the sprites in at least openttd.grf (also OpenTTD) and ogfxe_extra.grf (OpenGFX). This may now sound more difficult than it actually is, though; each task is not very big and e.g. is done each time a new GUI sprite is added.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

... or you go all out and make a "faces" feature for NewGRFs, so arbitrary styles can be added without touching the base set.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

There's a couple out there already. It's not that difficult to do, but I don't think it would hurt OpenTTD to have a more multicultural face within the game (no pun intended). I think there's something to be said of the fact that you can play the game in several Asian or Central/South American languages, but there is no cultural representation for those people in the game.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

But take town names as example. we have some builtin ones, that we drag around for legacy reasons, but any new ones should be added by NewGRFs.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I would suggest that OpenTTD stopped being a legacy game a couple of years ago.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

that doesn't mean we can just drop loading all existing savegames and start over.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

kamnet wrote:Expanding the faces UI would break savegames?
the player face settings are a per-company setting and as such part of the savegames. Thus if it would need some conversion code in the saveload section, if the meaning of the values, which describe the faces, are changed.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

That's not what I was talking about. We've already seen how that works though. OpenGFX nose style #1 isn't he same style as TTDX Nose style #1, but both of them are still nose style #1. So, that wouldn't change.

I'm speaking specifically about changes in the UI, such as expanding from two styles of figures (European or African) to more than two selectable styles at once. Would having the option of three or four face styles break older OpenTTD or TTD save games?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

kamnet wrote:OpenGFX nose style #1 isn't he same style as TTDX Nose style #1, but both of them are still nose style #1.
We're in the position to reorder OpenGFX sprites, so if the OpenGFX faces are somewhat consistent with the TTD ones, that isn't much of a problem.

More face styles breaks savegames as with any new feature that needs to be stored in the savegame: you cannot open the savegame in an older version of the game, but new game versions can still open old savegames.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

kamnet wrote:expanding from two styles of figures (European or African) to more than two selectable styles at once. Would having the option of three or four face styles break older OpenTTD or TTD save games?
It would not break them. Yet it still would require to add all new options as new (higher) values to the existing options. If you re-order them to a more logical order as you suggested above, that would require some conversion in the saveload code.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Phew, good! I'm not about to suggest a feature that stops old OpenTTD and TTDX games from loading, but no need to hold back if you don't have to.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Revisiting an old topic.

1. How horrible would it be to replace the toggles for male/female and European/African to a drop-down list with more options?
2. How difficult would it be to switch gender-specific items (tie/earrings) to something else?
SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

Why did this topic never specifically mention the JapanSet faces? Or the older face set that I can't recall the name of? If someone already did it, then why so much conversation about adding a feature that already exists?
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”