Station Efficiency Rating

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

maddy_
Engineer
Engineer

Station Efficiency Rating

Post by maddy_ »

I like to optimize my small pickup stations so that they always have 1 train waiting for cargo (no less and no more).

I needed a way to quickly see an overview of all my stations, and to see where I need to add new trains, and where I need to remove trains, based on production changes of the industries.

Here is a quick-and-dirty patch which introduces a concept called "efficiency rating" for stations. The concept is extremely simple: look how many trains each station has once per day, then take an average from a longer period (180 days by default).

The efficiency rating ranges from -100 to 100. If the value is negative, it means the station has had days with no trains and is "under-served". If the value is positive, the station has had days with more than 1 trains, and is "over-served". A value of 0 roughly means that the station has always had 1 train in the given period.

I did not want to break savegame compability with this, as it is not needed for my purpose, but that means you have to run the game for a while before the values make sense. There is also a setting which allows you to change the period used to calculate the rating.
efficiency_rating.png
efficiency_rating.png (9.22 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Attachments
EfficiencyRating_r26436.diff
(7.55 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Station Efficiency Rating

Post by Pyoro »

Interesting idea. "Under-served" station are easy to spot since cargo will pile up, but over-served ones are indeed more difficult to spot.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”