[Patch] Windows touch support (v1)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

[Patch] Windows touch support (v1)

Post by CommanderZ »

This patch tries to improve user experience when playing on Windows touchscreen devices (desktop Windows needed, Windows 8 RT is obviously not supported). For now, the focus is to achieve full comfortable playability on medium sized devices (10"+), smaller handheld tablets are not the priority.

(Planned) features:
  • Two finger panning in viewports. DONE
  • Tap-and-hold to open toolbar menus. DONE
  • Hide mouse cursor when using only touch. NOT YET
  • Two finger scrolling in scrollable lists. NOT YET
  • Make UI elements bigger. NOT YET
  • Improve on-screen keyboard. NOT YET
How to achieve best touchscreen experience (based on default settings):
  • Get the "OpenGFX BigGUI 2.0.0" GRF.
  • Increase font size at your own discretion (depends on screen size, about 50% bump works fine for me on a 13" screen).
  • Enable "Advanced Settings -> Interface -> Touch -> Open toolbar menu on long tap".
  • Increase "Advanced Settings -> Interface -> Interaction -> Map scrollwheel speed" to make the pich-to-zoom gesture more responsive (I like 10).
  • Enable "Advanced Settings -> Interface -> Interaction -> Reverse scroll direction".
The patch is against trunk r26400. Windows Platform SDK for Windows 7 or newer is required for the touchscreen support to be included in a build.

I will provide binaries upon request.

I welcome any feedback!
Attachments
windows_touch_r26400_v1.patch
Patch
(35.97 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [Patch] Windows touch support (v1)

Post by FLHerne »

You might want to co-ordinate with pelya, who created the unofficial Android port - the UI behaviour changes would be quite handy for that. Assuming you haven't done so already. :wink:
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [Patch] Windows touch support (v1)

Post by Wolf01 »

FLHerne wrote:You might want to co-ordinate with pelya[...] :wink:
and with me too (you can find me in the official IRC channel) as I'm still thinking about a good way to get rid of the CTRL key when on touch screen :wink: :wink:

Return to “OpenTTD Development”