Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:37 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:19 pm 
Offline
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 8:33 pm
Posts: 144
Hi all,

After reinstalling my computer I obviously needed to install and configure MinGW.
Small note: I'm not a specialist on this matter and thus any noob-like mistakes should be ignored, or better yet corrected.

So since this low level of knowledge I'm obliged to follow the wiki page and try to comprehend as much as possible.
(http://wiki.openttd.org/Compiling_on_Mi ... ing_libpng)

First problem I encoutered is during the installation of the libpng package.
When executing "wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/ ... z/download" in the Msys console it doesn't seem to find the file. This I could fix by downloading it myself and moving it to the correct folder.

However when I try to perform the ./configure command the error message Zlib not installed gets displayed.
Does anybody have any idea how to overcome this? I've done the Zlib part again twice, there seem to be no errors.

On a sidenote, but highly related, there seem to be newer version of the packages. Can it be the wiki page is outdated?
And does anybody know how to copy from the Msys console? :-) I would've attached the output but I can't seem to find how to do it...

Thanks in advance!
Nicolas


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:26 pm 
Offline
Engineer
Engineer

Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:42 pm
Posts: 20
try PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib ./configure

helped for me, also i believe later on i removed libz.a from /lib since there were two, one in /lib one in /local/lib


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:40 pm 
Offline
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 8:33 pm
Posts: 144
Thanks for you quick reply! It doesn't work however :-)
I tried it, still the same errormessage...

Checking for zlibversion in -lz... no
Checking for z_zlibVersion in -lz... no
Configure: error: zlib not installed


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:15 am 
Offline
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:32 am
Posts: 1031
Location: Spain
kotssmurf wrote:
First problem I encoutered is during the installation of the libpng package.
When executing "wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/ ... z/download" in the Msys console it doesn't seem to find the file. This I could fix by downloading it myself and moving it to the correct folder.


I can execute "wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/ ... z/download" fine here. Sometimes sourceforge is laggy and wget might not download the file. In that case just try again or, as a last resort, just download the file with your browser as you did.

kotssmurf wrote:
However when I try to perform the ./configure command the error message Zlib not installed gets displayed.
Does anybody have any idea how to overcome this? I've done the Zlib part again twice, there seem to be no errors.


Most of the time, when OpenTTD configure can't find a library you already compiled and installed, it's because you missed the first line of the Setting_up_MSYS step of the MinGW tutorial. If your /etc/fstab file is missing that additional line then you should reinstall all libraries after adding it.

kotssmurf wrote:
On a sidenote, but highly related, there seem to be newer version of the packages. Can it be the wiki page is outdated?


The packages at the wiki can be outdated, and will be most of the time. The newest versions of the libraries are usually not required to compile OpenTTD correctly, so I don't update the tutorial whenever a new version comes out. Personally I only update the tutorial when I have to reinstall MinGW again. That allows me to test the new libraries in a "clean" MinGW installation to be sure that no new problems occur. Other people have occassionally updated the packages too, which is fine as long as they test that they work as intended and they don't forget to update all appearances of the library version in the tutorial.

kotssmurf wrote:
And does anybody know how to copy from the Msys console? :-) I would've attached the output but I can't seem to find how to do it...


The options of the MSYS are identical to those of the regular Windows console. Just do a right click at the title of the window, select Options, go to the Options tab and enable "QuickEdit mode". After doing this you can select text with the mouse and a right click will allow you to copy the selected text. IIRC there is a way to copy text without enabling QuickEdit, but this is simpler :)

_________________
Spanish translation of OpenTTD
Extended heightmaps

Have fun, don't quarrel too much and add as many advanced settings as you can.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:14 am 
Offline
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 8:33 pm
Posts: 144
Terkhen wrote:
Most of the time, when OpenTTD configure can't find a library you already compiled and installed, it's because you missed the first line of the Setting_up_MSYS step of the MinGW tutorial. If your /etc/fstab file is missing that additional line then you should reinstall all libraries after adding it.

That was it... I feel stupid now :roll:
Thanks a for clearing everything out!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:39 am 
Offline
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:32 am
Posts: 1031
Location: Spain
I'm also forgetting that step most of the time. I just made the text bold to make it more noticeable.

_________________
Spanish translation of OpenTTD
Extended heightmaps

Have fun, don't quarrel too much and add as many advanced settings as you can.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000-2013 phpBB Group

Copyright © Owen Rudge/The Transport Tycoon Forums 2001-2013.
Hosted by Zernebok Hosting.