New map features

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New map features

Post by romazoon »

that s not what you need ? but that s all i ve got when the game crash (the crash.png+crash.log+emergency save). :lol:

And about the crash, yes it did happen when i built a signal on that exact tile showed on the screenie, and the tile before is a waypoint.

Me wonder if the problem is not coming from the depot located behind that freight train loading, and being connected to all the freight's station tracks...i suspect it cause i ve seen the depot act a bit strange lately with pathfinder...

sorry for not reporting this before actually, i m just never able to reproduce exactly those strange behavior :

the 1st strange behavior i talk about is that some trains stay locked inside the depot waiting for free path (happens usually after a train visit a depot and try to exit, if there is no free path at the exact time the trains tries to come out i ve seen train staying locked until i tell them to ignore signal).

The other strange behavior is concerning trains that have an already reserved path to a depot (let s say to go for service). Now, if i try to give them the order to stop inside depot by clicking the train's depot icon , trains say there is no depot accessible (on stable it works)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

no, the debug file must come from the person who compiled the .exe

but you should also have a crash.dmp file.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Eddi wrote:no, the debug file must come from the person who compiled the .exe
that would be wally then i believe.
Eddi wrote:but you should also have a crash.dmp file
yes you are right, i also have crash.dmp, i hope you don t need it though cause it got "replaced" since that other day with a new and unrelated "crash.dmp" (my savegame got corrupt(message) and crash on loading, probably cause i ve modified a couple newgrf so i m not reporting it neither complaining or anything...)

now the good news into my broken savegame is that now I will restart a game, and this time will try to keep the newgrf shorter and avoid to mess to much with newgrf ;)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

romazoon wrote:
Eddi wrote:no, the debug file must come from the person who compiled the .exe
that would be wally then i believe.
:twisted:
Recompiling with --enable-debug
I should have it up later today.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

The debug version is compiled and available here.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

romazoon wrote:And about the crash, yes it did happen when i built a signal on that exact tile showed on the screenie, and the tile before is a waypoint.
Thanks. I will see what I can do, but keep your expectations low, since the bug is not reproducible and I have no usable stack trace.
romazoon wrote:the 1st strange behavior i talk about is that some trains stay locked inside the depot waiting for free path (happens usually after a train visit a depot and try to exit, if there is no free path at the exact time the trains tries to come out i ve seen train staying locked until i tell them to ignore signal).
I cannot reproduce this on my own. A savegame where this is happening (the train in the depot is stuck) would be useful here.
romazoon wrote:The other strange behavior is concerning trains that have an already reserved path to a depot (let s say to go for service). Now, if i try to give them the order to stop inside depot by clicking the train's depot icon , trains say there is no depot accessible (on stable it works)
This one I can reproduce and has been appended to my bug queue.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Branch updated.
  • There are many changes in the network code that deals with multiplayer. Ideally, the only user-visible change should be a slight reduction in network bandwidth usage, but there may be bugs lurking.
  • A bug regarding sending a train to a depot when it was already halfway into one has been squashed (reported by romazoon).
  • I have fixed this openttd bug, since it also affected my branch and it looks like it will not be fixed there.
As always, any feedback is welcome.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

sounds great ;) and thanks for the fix as usual.

a small question, up to wich revision of trunk your "version" is compatible ? (it s just to know wich trunk version i can safely use to create scenario and then play them with your version)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

cirdan wrote:Branch updated.
Thank you and here is the latest unguaranteed Windows binary:
OpenTTD-g93693d36-Win32.7z
(5.44 MiB) Downloaded 41 times
Question: Did anybody attempt to download the debug version of the previous release which I linked to above?
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

Thanks Wally for the binary, will use that right away :D

and about the debug version, i did downloaded it, but i haven t tested it much, i tried a bit to reproduce the "signal" crash, but with no success.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

romazoon wrote:Thanks Wally for the binary, will use that right away :D
:bow:
and about the debug version, i did downloaded it,
Excellent. It was too fat for these forums so I tried something new to me: Google Drive. I'm glad it worked.

It takes a while to compile and almost as long to upload to the drive, so I'll only be doing it if there is a need, but do not hesitate to ask.
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

Here is a Windows 64-bit binary
OpenTTDnmf_g93693d36M_win64.7z
(5.27 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Also here's a binary with applied daylength patch
OpenTTDnmf_g93693d36M_daylength_win64.7z
(5.28 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
TrueSatan
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TrueSatan »

And here is the Ubuntu 64bit compiled version of g93693d36
Attachments
openttd-custom-g93693d36-UNIX.tar.xz
Ubuntu 14.04 64bit
Version: g93693d36
(4.62 MiB) Downloaded 29 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Eddy Arfik wrote:OpenTTDnmf_g93693d36M_win64.7z
you should probably double check that. it shouldn't have "M" in the version.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

want some feedback on latest version ?

It is Lovely !! there is a noticable performance improvement ! I can't quantify it exactly but here is how i see it :

with revision g8bebb0db, i load a very busy game (around 1000 trains, over 2500 RV, 389 ships, map 2048x1024, 750K unit delivered per trimester), on the two latest zoom it s lagging so much that i had to desactivate the x8 and x4 zoom (out) so i would not by mistake take the laggy zoom mode (it became really almost frozen)

with the latest revision, i tried same savegame and with both the 32bits from wally, and the 64 bits from Eddyarfik, and both run smooth on zoom out level x4 and x8, and i mean really smooth.

so I guess i have got to say thanks for that ;) you just gave me many more hour of enjoyment on a game i cherish ;)
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

Eddi wrote:
Yes, since it isn't modified in any gameplay way it probably shouldn't have the M, but it appears automatic since MinGW requires changes to win32.h and strings.cpp in order to compile 64 bit binaries. Maybe next time I'll manually edit rev.cpp to avoid confusion.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Eddy Arfik wrote:
Eddi wrote:
Yes, since it isn't modified in any gameplay way it probably shouldn't have the M, but it appears automatic since MinGW requires changes to win32.h and strings.cpp in order to compile 64 bit binaries. Maybe next time I'll manually edit rev.cpp to avoid confusion.
You should use the exact same version information each time you compile. It even creates less confusion :roll:

Honestly: submit the modifications to make it compile as patch sot that you do not need a modified source!
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

planetmaker wrote:Honestly: submit the modifications to make it compile as patch sot that you do not need a modified source!
Ok, it's a dirty hack and may break someone else's build, but I'll put it here anyway. Also worth noting is the exact same changes are required to build regular OTTD trunk on my system.
nmf_MinGW_64bit_compile.patch
(1.15 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Eddy Arfik wrote:
planetmaker wrote:Honestly: submit the modifications to make it compile as patch sot that you do not need a modified source!
Ok, it's a dirty hack and may break someone else's build, but I'll put it here anyway. Also worth noting is the exact same changes are required to build regular OTTD trunk on my system.
nmf_MinGW_64bit_compile.patch
Looking at that patch, you remove stuff guarded by

Code: Select all

#if defined(__MINGW__)
- however that guarding seems not enough or not applicable to your MinGW version. I suggest you try to find an additional symbol which you have defined (maybe LP64?) but which the other MinGWs don't and adjust the #if defined directives accordingly. It would instantaneously make it to a proper and useful patch.
The code referenced in your 2nd hunk in string.cpp is not part of OpenTTD anymore for 10 months already (as of r21476).
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane

Post by te_lanus »

I've also found that the current (win32) build is faster than before.

@wallyweb found a missing "feature". Accidentally changed me language to Arabian (since it's just below Afrikaans), and it complained:
Clipboard02.png
Clipboard02.png (1.85 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
Doubt anyone uses it here, since I've yet to see someone complain, but thought a mention would be warranted (

Return to “OpenTTD Development”