New map features

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Arieuitalkmaar
Engineer
Engineer

Re: New map features

Post by Arieuitalkmaar »

Cirdan, what does "your fork" mean?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

... some people call it "fork", other people "patch pack"... it's really the same thing. a development branch that deviates from the "official" branch, usually without any obligations or ambitions to merge those changes back.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

Eddi wrote:... some people call it "fork", other people "patch pack"... it's really the same thing. a development branch that deviates from the "official" branch, usually without any obligations or ambitions to merge those changes back.
This one does differ somewhat in that it's a group of interdependent changes that have never been made separately against plain trunk, whereas most 'patchpacks' are collections of patches that were originally developed independently to apply to the trunk and only later bundled together with some tweaks to avoid conflicts.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Arieuitalkmaar wrote:Cirdan, what does "your fork" mean?
A fork is a new development branch started off a project.

This is unlike what people here call a patch pack in that patch packs are branches that are either not developed further once created (essentially a collection of patches) or updated by rebasing onto a more recent trunk revision. This easily ends up being a maintenance nightmare (I should know—I maintained custom bridgeheads this way for a year and a half), up to the point where the patch pack is abandoned (MiniIN and ChillPP come to mind).

My branch takes a different, more natural approach: it has fully independent history and its forking point remains at revision 25808 of openttd trunk. Also, I solved the problem of savegame compatibility by redesigning the saveload code to keep full backwards compatibility both within my branch and with openttd trunk.
Hafting
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hafting »

The game crashed.
I was building a new pier. I clicked, holding down ctrl so I could merge it into an existing station. The menu for "nearby stations" popped up. when I clicked on the station "Austnes nord", the game crashed. The crash image shows what was going on, a train was leaving the station at the moment. The game was not paused. If you load the savefile, it shows where I tried to build the pier - the sea is brown there.

The game is restartable. It is not possible to retry making the pier immediately - the town became angry because trees was cut down in the previous (crashing) attempt to place the pier.

The crash log:

Code: Select all

*** OpenTTD Crash Report ***

Crash at: Tue May  5 12:13:08 2015
In game date: 1958-06-11 (71)

Crash reason:
 Signal:  Aborted (6)
 Message: Assertion failed at line 751 of /usr/src/openttd/src/command.cpp: res.GetCost() == res2.GetCost() && res.Failed() == res2.Failed()

Binary:
 Version:    g124faa8e (0)
 NewGRF ver: 15006a29
 Build date: Apr 21 2015 15:19:40
 Flags:      64-bit little-endian

Stacktrace:
 [00] /usr/local/games/openttd() [0x6004e8]
 [01] /usr/local/games/openttd() [0x6ddef8]
 [02] /usr/local/games/openttd() [0x600473]
 [03] /usr/lib/libc.so.6(+0x33540) [0x7f8d4aa85540]
 [04] /usr/lib/libc.so.6(gsignal+0x37) [0x7f8d4aa854b7]
 [05] /usr/lib/libc.so.6(abort+0x16a) [0x7f8d4aa8688a]
 [06] /usr/local/games/openttd() [0x603d10]
 [07] /usr/local/games/openttd() [0x539427]
 [08] /usr/local/games/openttd() [0x5399f8]
 [09] /usr/local/games/openttd() [0x77293e]
 [10] /usr/local/games/openttd() [0x70a07d]
 [11] /usr/local/games/openttd() [0x74fdbd]
 [12] /usr/local/games/openttd() [0x61c180]
 [13] /usr/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf0) [0x7f8d4aa72800]
 [14] /usr/local/games/openttd(_start+0x29) [0x4a99e9]

Operating system:
 Name:     Linux
 Release:  3.18.6-1-ARCH
 Version:  #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Feb 7 08:44:05 CET 2015
 Machine:  x86_64
 Compiler: GCC 4.9.2 "4.9.2 20150304 (prerelease)"

Configuration:
 Blitter:      32bpp-sse4-anim
 Graphics set: zBase (251)
 Language:     /usr/local/share/games/openttd/lang/norwegian_bokmal.lng
 Music driver: extmidi
 Music set:    NoMusic (0)
 Network:      no
 Sound driver: null
 Sound set:    NoSound (2)
 Video driver: sdl

Fonts:
 Small:  DejaVu Sans
 Medium: DejaVu Sans
 Large:  DejaVu Sans
 Mono:   sprite

AI Configuration (local: 0):
  0: Human
  1: CluelessPlus (v37)
  2: OtviAI (v418)
  3: RoadRunner (v9)
  4: OtviAI (v418)
  5: DictatorAI (v169)
 GS: Renewed City Growth (v5)

Libraries:
 FontConfig: 2.11.1
 FreeType:   2.5.5
 ICU:        55.1
 LZMA:       5.2.1
 LZO:        2.09
 PNG:        1.6.16
 SDL:        1.2.15
 Zlib:       1.2.8

---- gamelog start ----
Tick 0: New game
    Revision text changed to g124faa8e, savegame version 22, not modified, newgrf version 0x15006a29
    New game mode 1, landscape 1
    Added NewGRF: GRF ID F1250005, checksum 955C122CEFCC91F1EDAB646F7DF7D141, filename: firs_industry_replacement_set-1.4.4/firs.grf (md5sum matches)
    Added NewGRF: GRF ID 52571201, checksum 9548AAA21E5B7E8168B3B19EF8290A83, filename: grvts32.grf (md5sum matches)
    Added NewGRF: GRF ID 4F472B31, checksum 21377D78803A5BB9C57DE4C918A534B3, filename: ogfx-trains.grf (md5sum matches)
    Added NewGRF: GRF ID 33325A43, checksum 8767596EEC0C25A41B060D834C356402, filename: 32bpp_ez-0.1.grf (md5sum matches)
    Added NewGRF: GRF ID 44440A01, checksum FCEEC76CF44EC23E7FE9C88048CF11CC, filename: av8_aviators_aircraft_set-2.21/pb_av8w.grf (md5sum matches)
    Added NewGRF: GRF ID 4A430002, checksum 332F5EE83BB1A8F7C1766E610B48A222, filename: indstatr_32.grf (md5sum matches)
    Added NewGRF: GRF ID 43415000, checksum 4DA9FE9A87DD330EBAD43916771BAF21, filename: opengfx_airports-0.4.2/ogfx-airports.grf (md5sum matches)
    Added NewGRF: GRF ID EC0D9110, checksum D1510A1006B03BCDAAFE562D5D05BACF, filename: raise_landscaping_costs.2/raise_landscaping_costs.grf (md5sum matches)
    Added NewGRF: GRF ID 48530101, checksum EC17E22A38C037D156BD22A96F4A8523, filename: reduced_passenger_payment.1.0/reducedpassengerpayment.grf (md5sum matches)
    Added NewGRF: GRF ID 414E0201, checksum 0551E1BD6EB3100574B0474EAF3DE462, filename: fish_2-2.0.0/fish.grf (md5sum matches)
    Added NewGRF: GRF ID 54670901, checksum F3699B81A7B2BB59EABD49164AE53796, filename: TGrandom.grf (md5sum matches)
    Game started
---- gamelog end ----

*** End of OpenTTD Crash Report ***
Attachments
crash.png
Game window when it crashed
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
crash.sav
Game saved during the crash, shows where I tried to build.
(300.5 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Thank you for your bug report. The crash is triggered when you build a dock on a tile with trees near a town if your rating with the local authority is barely enough to allow you to build a new station. I have a fix in the works, and will push it after some testing. In the meanwhile, you can work around the bug by removing the trees from the tile in advance, and then raising your town rating (plant a few trees) if necessary.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

A new update is available at the repository, featuring:
  • Selective station refits: When telling a vehicle to autorefit at a station, you can now choose which cargoes to allow refitting to. This provides finer-grained control over station refits and helps work around some infelicities in the interaction between cargodist and station refits (discussion here).
  • Fixed a crash when building a dock on a tree tile under certain conditions (reported by Hafting).
  • Fixed a bug with smart pointers and MSVC that could lead to a crash in debug builds.
  • Synced with openttd r27220, including the ability to load savegames made with recent openttd trunk or 1.5.
TrueSatan
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TrueSatan »

And here is the Ubuntu version :)
Thanks for the new update Cirdan, will test it right away.
Cheers
Attachments
openttd-custom-ga56c67e8-UNIX.tar.xz
Version: ga56c67e8
Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit
(4.63 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

cirdan wrote:A new update is available ...
:bow: ... and here is the Wndows binary:

Enjoy :mrgreen:
Attachments
OpenTTD-ga56c67e8-Win32.7z
unguaranteed
(5.44 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Hafting
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hafting »

cirdan wrote:A new update is available at the repository, featuring:
  • Selective station refits: When telling a vehicle to autorefit at a station, you can now choose which cargoes to allow refitting to. This provides finer-grained control over station refits and helps work around some infelicities in the interaction between cargodist and station refits (discussion here)
I have started a new game to test this. So far, it works well. That game has not yet reached the complicated stage, but the selective refits would seem to solve all the problems I have experienced.
The new user interface with checkboxes for allowed refits is nice. :D
Hafting
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hafting »

Now and then, I seem to get strange deadlocks.

Normal deadlocks are my own fault, with too many trains entering a circle. Then all wait on each other, forcing me to improve the rail network.

The strange deadlocks are when two trains wait forever, but there is nothing in their way. The deadlock can be resolved by forcing one train to go against red lights. There is no crash, the train just moves and when it is gone, the other train will move normally. And then, quite a few trains stuck behind the deadlock starts moving.

I have attached two savefiles showing such deadlocks. In the first, (strangelock) trains 32 & 76 wait for each other. 76 is in a depot near a mine station. 32 waits at a path signal before the same depot, holding up 17 other trains. :-( There is no reason for this waiting. 32 can roll into the depot if I force it - no accident and the deadlock will end. Forcing 76 out of the depot is another option, the mining station has 3 empty platforms ready for it. (and the platforms are properly terminated with more path signals.) I believe this is a bug, as forcing either (but not both) train to move is safe.

strangelock2 is a similiar case. Same game, two game years later. Train 15 waits inside another depot, even though it has a clear path into a station. Train 2 waits at a path signal outside the same depot. This time, I noticed the problem before there was a line of stuck trains. Forcing either of the two trains to move is safe - but I don't think that should be necessary. If my understanding of the signal system is correct, the game should pick one of the trains and move it.
Attachments
Rosenfjell Transport, 3. Feb 1976 strangelock.sav
Strange deadlock, trains 32 & 76 (in depot) block each other. Forcing either to move, resolves the deadlock safely.
(401.3 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Rosenfjell Transport, 6. Nov 1978-strangelock2.sav
Trains 2 and 15 wait unnecessarily for each other.
(421.73 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

I have good news for you (and everybody else): I have finally squashed this nasty bug that would create a stale depot reservation that rendered the depot unusable (trains inside cannot exit, other trains cannot enter) unless you used force-proceed. I am pretty sure that it is the same elusive bug that romazoon reported a few months ago and that I had not been able to track down. I have just pushed a fix for this to the repo.

Please note that this fix will not, by itself, remove any existing stale depot reservations in your games; you will have to do that manually by telling a train inside to proceed. But the fix will, hopefully, prevent any such stale reservations from appearing again.

Thanks!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

cirdan wrote:I have just pushed a fix for this to the repo.
:bow:
And here is the Windows 32 binary :D

Enjoy 8)
Attachments
OpenTTD-g118d39e2-Win32.7z
no guarantees
(5.44 MiB) Downloaded 38 times
TrueSatan
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TrueSatan »

And the Ubutntu 14.04 version.

Thanks for fixing the depot bug, never was sure if it wasn't my fault :)

Cheers
Attachments
openttd-custom-g118d39e2-UNIX.tar.xz
Version: g118d39e2
Ubuntu 14.04 64bit
(4.63 MiB) Downloaded 25 times
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

I'd like to express my genuine gratitudes to all of you involved in this project, especially Cirdan for obvious reasons but also Wally and TrueSatan for providing Windows and Ubuntu versions, not to mention all of you testing out NMF and reporting bugs and other issues that needs fixes... :))

Absolutely great work! :bow:
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
te_lanus
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane

Post by te_lanus »

SAC wrote:I'd like to express my genuine gratitudes to all of you involved in this project, especially Cirdan for obvious reasons but also Wally and TrueSatan for providing Windows and Ubuntu versions, not to mention all of you testing out NMF and reporting bugs and other issues that needs fixes... :))

Absolutely great work! :bow:
I like to echo SAC's sentiment :bow:
TrueSatan
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TrueSatan »

Thanks SAC, but my part is only the small one to compile and every now and then to give Cirdan some bug reports like many others do.
I for myself can say, I would never go back to the "normal" OpenTTD version again, because the signals in tunnels feature
is something I don't want to miss ever again.
Thanks again Cirdan for your hard work.

I really would like to see at least the signals in tunnels feature in trunk, but I guess it will never happen.

And seeing SAC on this topic, Many thanks to all graphic artists and developers as well :)

So now waiting for the next update on Cridan's branch :D

Cheers
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Well, thank you all. I am also very grateful to all the people that are contributing to the endeavour in various ways: testing, reporting bugs, providing binaries, making suggestions... I really appreciate the help, and this project would not be the same without them.
TrueSatan wrote:Thanks for fixing the depot bug, never was sure if it wasn't my fault :)
It was tricky to hit, at least as I found it. It required a station or waypoint not immediately followed by a signal (which is rare enough, I think) and then a train in a depot trying to reserve a path through and past the station when another train had already left the station but had not reached the next signal yet.

I am glad we finally nailed this one down.
TrueSatan
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by TrueSatan »

Funny thing is Cridan I usually build a station with path signals two way to enter the station and one way for the lines.
and the depot is in between. So this bug triggered every now and then, but I could never repeat it after releasing
the first train. Good thing its finally tracked down and squashed :)
Hafting
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Hafting »

cirdan wrote:It was tricky to hit, at least as I found it. It required a station or waypoint not immediately followed by a signal (which is rare enough, I think) and then a train in a depot trying to reserve a path through and past the station when another train had already left the station but had not reached the next signal yet.

I am glad we finally nailed this one down.
Thanks a lot! That game had a lot of such lockups. I often put a depot in front of a station where there is uneven production. I may need lots of trains to transport steel or building materials - and production vary due to uneven availability of engineering supplies or because a large ship comes in every other year. This arrangement lets me have lots of trains for transporting peak production. And when production is low, they queue up inside the depot instead of forming a long line into the station. Long lines tend to block other trains sharing the line. Waypoints is something I use to make a train take a specific path. Then, the waypoint goes anywhere on that line - not necessarily close to a signal. Stations usually have signals close by, but not always. I might move signals out a bit so the full steel train leaves a steel mill station before the empty ore train reach its signal. This gives the full train some priority.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”