CAN OPENTTD BE ADDED FOR CHROMEBOOKS?

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Schmeider
Engineer
Engineer

CAN OPENTTD BE ADDED FOR CHROMEBOOKS?

Post by Schmeider »

I just bought a chromebook. I would be happy if there were openttd for chromebook. I tried to download some files but it didnt work. I searched for it in chrome webstore but couldn't find anything.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I love the game and i hope you can add it on chromebook.
kamnet

Re: CAN OPENTTD BE ADDED FOR CHROMEBOOKS?

Post by kamnet »

For just a very general basic stab in the dark, from a user account (not root account), open a command line window and type "sudo apt-get install OpenTTD". That should get you a Linux binary that will run on your system.

If you're receiving errors, then post those error messages, along with the Chromebook model and OS/version you're running.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

I don't think Chromebooks work that way, at least not out of the box. (You can install regular Linux, though.) Have you tried the "Linux generic binaries"? If those don't work, there's always in-browser OpenTTD, although it's slow and out of date.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Mikethk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mikethk »

Sell the Chromebook and get a Computer instead. A Chromebook is NOT a Computer. Its a lie. Just like the cake.

Merry Christmas.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

oberhümer wrote:I don't think Chromebooks work that way, at least not out of the box. (You can install regular Linux, though.) Have you tried the "Linux generic binaries"? If those don't work, there's always in-browser OpenTTD, although it's slow and out of date.
I'm truly taking a stab in the dark, just researching on Google. It looks like options depend on which brand/model of Chromebook you have.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Or, hey, I just saw this come up on Lifehacker, and I saw it as a suggestion in a few other threads but didn't know what it was.

Solution: enable "Developer Mode" on Chrome, install the Crouton extension, and then install any flavor of Linux you like inside that, and then install OpenTTD.

http://lifehacker.com/chromebooks-can-n ... 1676479669
Schmeider
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Schmeider »

I was thinking if they could add it on Chrome web store. There are a lot of apps.
Lifehacker could work 2, ty :wink:
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

No. Your Chromebook basically runs a web browser and nothing else. OpenTTD is not a web-based game.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

petern wrote:No. Your Chromebook basically runs a web browser and nothing else. OpenTTD is not a web-based game.
http://epicport.com/en/ttd/browser ? :wink:
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Supercheese wrote:
petern wrote:No. Your Chromebook basically runs a web browser and nothing else. OpenTTD is not a web-based game.
This. Is. Not. OpenTTD.

Tschö, Auge
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Auge wrote:Hello
Supercheese wrote:
This. Is. Not. OpenTTD.

Tschö, Auge
It actually mostly is.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It is OpenTTD version 1.2.3, using an illegal copy of the original TTD graphics, sound and music.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
planetmaker wrote:
Auge wrote: This. Is. Not. OpenTTD.
It actually mostly is.
OpenTTD is per se able to act as a browser game? Or is this the part, where the counterpart of mostly comes into game? :-)

Tschö, Auge

PS: What the heck is this restriction to maximal 3 nested quotes?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The restriction is so that ridiculously long blocks of text are not simply reprinted again. Three nested quotes should be quite enough to get the gist of the previous conversation in question.

No, OpenTTD itself is not a browser game. There are web-based scripting program which can take any binary, such as OpenTTD, and enable them to run in browsers. Typically either using Java or JavaScript, both of which typically introduce some lag, albeit acceptable in many cases.

The "mostly" was in regards to whether or not the particular website previously mentioned was actually running OpenTTD. See my previous comment for that answer.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”