YAIM - (Yet Another) Infrastructure Maintenance Patch (V3.1)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: YAIM - (Yet Another) Infrastructure Maintenance Patch (V

Post by Eddi »

i'd just rename it to "maintenance cost", that implies both vehicles and infrastructure
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

So I'm playing with this now and there's two things I'm wondering about:
Station costs
I currently am playing a "aesthetics" game. I'm using station additional tiles for eye candy, however these do count towards station tiles, is it possible to split this? Or somehow make it beneficial to include eyecandy tiles (lessen the ammount of cargo which decays e.g.).

Infrastructure costs in the "big picture"
The infrastructure window contents I understand, however, where is this reflected in the finance window. My guess would be "Property maintenance" ("Eigendomsonderhoud" in Dutch), why not name these two fields the same?
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Arie- wrote:Or somehow make it beneficial to include eyecandy tiles (lessen the ammount of cargo which decays e.g.).
It already is beneficial: it improves the area over which your station can accept/get cargo.
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

But I can also use station tiles with tracks for that.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

As far as the GRF spec wiki goes, there's no NewGRF "maintenance cost" property for station tiles yet. (As far as the patch goes, ...)
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i think that's by design. station tiles are supposed to be visual only (not that i agree with that)
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

IMO, introducing different maintenance cost for station tiles would be over the top. In this case you´d like to have them not only for track tiles vs non-track tiles, but also for station hall tiles vs bare platform tiles, passenger station tiles vs freight station tiles, etc, pp.

regards
Michael
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

That's why I said "NewGRF".
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

But even then.

regards
Michael
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

oberhümer wrote:As far as the GRF spec wiki goes, there's no NewGRF "maintenance cost" property for station tiles yet. (As far as the patch goes, ...)
A maintenance factor per (station/airport/whatever) tile would be totally impractical. For calculating the infrastructure costs this would mean either (1) a complete map walk each time, or (2) an unlimited-sized array that stores the number of tiles per different maintenance factor.

-- Michael Lutz
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

Instead of counting station tiles, why not make the maintenance costs based on the size of the catchment area? Wouldn't punish people as much who like use cosmetic tiles, but people who needlessly expand their reach of a station gets some expensive maintenance. Should also make people think twice before expanding their catchment area to cover a huge area.

I had a quick try with it in a nightly testgame. Adds a layer of challenge, but it quickly got way too expensive so I had to turn it off the combination of NewGRF's I used led to a stagnated economy. I really like the signal maintenance cost though, as the signalspam you see in the average OpenTTD game is actually slightly ugly. Forced me to space them apart a bit further in a more decent looking fashion.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

W.r.t. signal maintenance, I use a signal tile spacing of 4. Would that be prohibitively expensive with this patch, or are only spaces of 1 or 2 massively expensive?
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

My guess would be no, but I'm not sure whether this patch scales with the map dimensions. To give you an idea, in r23444 on a 128 * 512 map. The costs of the stations are waaaaaay higher than the costs of the signals: 160k vs 6k. Signals on approximately every 6 tiles.
screenshot-02.png
screenshot-02.png (37.75 KiB) Viewed 607 times
screenshot-01.png
screenshot-01.png (13.54 KiB) Viewed 4697 times
screenshot-00.png
screenshot-00.png (22.75 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

Bug or feature, for you guys to decide. I've two types of tracks, maintenance is in that case lower than when I would convert all tracks to the lower cost type.
one-type.PNG
one-type.PNG (50.22 KiB) Viewed 607 times
two-types.PNG
two-types.PNG (26.05 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Arie- wrote:Bug or feature, for you guys to decide.
Not a bug per se, just a side effect because NuTracks isn't setting a custom maintenance factor, so all new types inherit the cost of plain rails.

-- Michael Lutz
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Michi_cc wrote:
Not a bug per se, just a side effect because NuTracks isn't setting a custom maintenance factor, so all new types inherit the cost of plain rails.

-- Michael Lutz
But probably there is still small funny effect
1) 100k normal tracks, huge nonlinear effect
2) 50k normal tracks, 50k expensive tracks, with higher maintenance cost, smaller nonlinear effect, in result it may be less expensive.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Frank327
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Frank327 »

First of all, awesome patch! This is exactly the sort of economic balancing the game needed.

Now on the subject of balancing the early game vs. the late game, I think one of the best ways to do this would be by making maintenance costs dependent on distance from your HQ. Let's say a square of 40x40 around your HQ the maintenance is only 0.25 of what it would normally be. In a square of 80x80 it would be 0.5, in 160x160 it would be 0.75 and from then onwards it would be full price. That way you can make some good early money by building close to your HQ, and then later when you start building vast networks you feel the full force of maintenance costs. It would also balance out those ridiculous early coal lines that span half the map and earn you millions in the first few years of the game.

It would probably be either difficult to program, or difficult for the CPU to handle. But if it would be possible I think this would be the most organic solution. Keeping maintenance costs non-linear is probably still a good idea.
Torrasque
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Torrasque »

Kogut wrote:
Michi_cc wrote:

-- Michael Lutz
But probably there is still small funny effect
1) 100k normal tracks, huge nonlinear effect
2) 50k normal tracks, 50k expensive tracks, with higher maintenance cost, smaller nonlinear effect, in result it may be less expensive.
Perhaps you could take the mean of the different maintenance cost, and then apply the nonlinear effect?

Exemple: if you have 300 tracks at 10$ and 700 at 20$, you calculate the nonlinear effect on 1000 tracks at 17$[1]

[1](0.3*10+0.7*20)/2 = 17
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

It works, Ai with crazy duplication of tracks was changed from moneymaker into barely sustainable company.
Attachments
AIAI.PNG
AIAI.PNG (185.96 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

First, let me say thank you for this patch! I've been playing the nightlies (currently r23591) for a few days now, and I have to say this is one of the best improvements to the gameplay so far. It adds the challenge the game has needed!

With that said, I found a little money exploit (bug?) with it too. If you build e.g. a rail depot, then convert it to maglev, it remains "seen" as a rail tile, but if you destroy it the game will deduct from the maglev tiles (resulting in a very large number), and the game will actually start paying you for these 'negative' tiles.

Don't know if it's known or not (couldn't find anything), just thought I'd mention it. :wink:

EDIT: Also, saving said game and re-loading seems to reset everything back to the correct values...untraceable money cheat? :P

Return to “OpenTTD Development”