Android port

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ZestHusky
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Android port

Post by ZestHusky »

pelya wrote:My first Android tutorial is ready. It covers touchscreen basics and creating a bus service.

Youtube link, video file for download, video editor project file, subtitles file.

It does not have an audio track, so I would like to ask you to narrate it in your favorite language, and upload to Youtube. I will then put all Youtube links into the next Android OpenTTD release, in two-three weeks.
You don't need to strictly follow my subtitles, they are just a suggestion.
Youtube has a video editor that can do that, however it re-compresses the video, so the resulting video loses a bit of quality.

Feel free to post feedback and suggestions. Some details in video can be re-done, like scenes duration or effects.

Next video will probably be railroad building, but don't expect it until next month.
I'll voice over the videos for you and post some MP3's your way :)

Click for my YouTube channel!

pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

That would be really nice, thank you.
Does anyone have any comments about this video? Remember, it's going into the next OpenTTD Android release, so speak now.
ZestHusky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ZestHusky »

pelya wrote:That would be really nice, thank you.
Does anyone have any comments about this video? Remember, it's going into the next OpenTTD Android release, so speak now.
It seemed sufficient for me! I've made this for you, I just ripped the Video from YouTube using a converter and added the commentary over the top. Below is a link to the YouTube video I uploaded which includes the commentary, as well as a link below that to just the MP3 by itself, should you want to download it and create a Higher Quality version of the video. If you need anything else let me know!

http://goo.gl/7ikaA1 - Here's a Google Drive link to an MP3 file just containing the Commentary.

Click for my YouTube channel!

coteyr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by coteyr »

Is there any way to use the in game on screen keyboard instead of the pop up the android keyboard? It's nice that it's there, but it "pauses" the game and typing for a long time, will kick you from a server. If we there is a way to use the on screen keyboard only that would be great.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

I've published an update 1.4.4.37 on Google Play, .apk and sources.
  • Video tutorial is live! I've edited video a bit near the end, to match ZestHusky's narration about green light button in the depot menu. I didn't know what does this button do until I've listened to the voice-over, because I'm a noob. :mrgreen:
  • Mostly fixed scenario editor.
  • Main toolbar menus will now close when you click anywhere outside the menu, the bug oberhümer was talking about.
  • Fixed Ctrl/Shift keys not working on external keyboard, and right mouse button not working on external mouse. I've tested only keyboard, the mouse button might still not work.
  • Preparing new branch for 1.5.0 release and migrating patches, currently UI is broken. I guess the next Android release will be 1.5.0.
Anyone wants to contribute more tutorials? We still need trucks + description of industries, trains + signals, ships, airplanes, and how to add AI. And maybe some general talk on game strategy.
coteyr wrote:Is there any way to use the in game on screen keyboard instead of the pop up the android keyboard? It's nice that it's there, but it "pauses" the game and typing for a long time, will kick you from a server. If we there is a way to use the on screen keyboard only that would be great.
I'll fix that kicking bug in the next version. Android keyboard will stay, because OpenTTD built-in on-screen keyboard cannot compare to something like Swype.
Crusader58
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Crusader58 »

is it possible for you to include the patch daylight into your next build of openttd
as I used it extensively in the PC Version and it would be great to have it back.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Crusader58 wrote:is it possible for you to include the patch daylight into your next build of openttd
as I used it extensively in the PC Version and it would be great to have it back.
Sorry, but no, I'm only using the official OpenTTD codebase, and this patch will break compatibility for online servers.
Crusader58
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Crusader58 »

Any idea when you will have 1.5.0 available for download?
better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not :wink:
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Crusader58 wrote:Any idea when you will have 1.5.0 available for download?
A week or two after final version of 1.5.0 will be released.
Crusader58
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Crusader58 »

pelya wrote:
Crusader58 wrote:Any idea when you will have 1.5.0 available for download?
A week or two after final version of 1.5.0 will be released.
Great, can't wait. BTW thanks for all the work you've put into this port so far, it runs great on my 8.3inch tablet using Zbase baseset and RAWR Absolute World Replacement ( as a static newgrf ) along with other 32bpp newgrfs.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

I've created a pre-alpha Android build of OpenTTD 1.5.0-RC1, for the impatient among you.
Don't bother reporting bugs that are on the screenshots below, I already know about them ;)
Sources are here in branch '1.5'.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Crusader58
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Crusader58 »

pelya wrote:I've created a pre-alpha Android build of OpenTTD 1.5.0-RC1, for the impatient among you.
Don't bother reporting bugs that are on the screenshots below, I already know about them ;)
Sources are here in branch '1.5'.

I don't see any screenshot links
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Do you have imgur.com blocked?
Attachments
tmp_31622-Screenshot_2015-03-31-17-29-06-372519564.png
Them screenshots.
(857.49 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Crusader58
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Crusader58 »

pelya wrote:Do you have imgur.com blocked?
Imgur was not loading, must have been a server issue as I can see the screenshots now
Crusader58
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Crusader58 »

is it possible to have more than one build installed at a time on android (like you can with PC)
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Nope. Apps must have different package name to be installed in parallel. You can save all your games to cloud before uninstalling old OpenTTD, but all your NewGRFs will be lost.
Crusader58
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Crusader58 »

pelya wrote:Nope. Apps must have different package name to be installed in parallel. You can save all your games to cloud before uninstalling old OpenTTD, but all your NewGRFs will be lost.
Damn..lol. ..I backed up the newgrfs, saves and scenario folders and my cfg file, installed 1.5.0 and copied them back , had to make a few edits to my old cfg as some settings weren't compatible.. like the changes they've made in this build now just need the bugs ironed out.

btw thanks for making rc1 available.
Crusader58
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Crusader58 »

1 Million

I see you've reached 1 million downloads on the Google Play Store - Congrats :bow:
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

One million installs happened on 28th of December 2014. I probably should have celebrated somehow.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Here goes my weekend. I think I'll release it in two weeks, as there are many UI bugs yet.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”