Android port

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Android port

Post by pelya »

New version available - Google Play, direct download.

- Fixed two dialogs not fitting the screen.
- Fast forward button now works better, by doing frameskip.
- Fixed music clipping, once again.
- Fixed stylus not highlighting construction area.
- Lists will now scroll slower.
- Fixed zBase and NightGfx graphics sets not working.

Next feature I will implement: cloud save, using Google Play game services. It requests embarassingly long list of permissions to access Google+ on first use, and I do not know how to trim that list down, but if I'll disable cloud saving by default, users will never know it's there. Decisions, decisions...
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

pelya wrote:Next feature I will implement: cloud save, using Google Play game services. It requests embarassingly long list of permissions to access Google+ on first use, and I do not know how to trim that list down, but if I'll disable cloud saving by default, users will never know it's there. Decisions, decisions...
Ask users in a poll...?
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

I guess I'll just show that login dialog once, and if user cancels I'll disable the cloudsave option.
tomas.lizner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tomas.lizner »

Cloud save sounds good as a backup. But it would be absolutely great if saves could be compatible with win ottd saves. You can play od android in bus, save it into cloud and load it home from cloud with win openttd
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Unfortunately that can't happen since the Android version is a modified/patched version of OpenTTD.

My bad, I thought the android port was compiled with patches. Oops, carry on!
Last edited by kamnet on 24 Jul 2014 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

not all changes make savegames incompatible. the savegame interface is more stable than the multiplayer interface.

and ideally, this (or any) "port" should make neither savegame- nor multiplayer-incompatible changes.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

If there is a way to get the savegame out of the cloud from a (Windows) computer, then I guess it will work. I don't think this port changed the savegame format.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Android savegames are fully compatible with PC version.
It won't be possible to play cloud savegames on PC, because Google Play services save them to Google Drive in such format that the user cannot view or download them, only delete, apparently to prevent cheating, and I definitely won't implement generic Google Drive client, just to make them downloadable.
So if OpenTTD on PC wants to use them, it must use Google proprietary Play Services library, which is available only for Android, iOS and web games anyway.
Just plug your phone into PC and copy them from SD card.
tomas.lizner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tomas.lizner »

pelya wrote:Android savegames are fully compatible with PC version.
It won't be possible to play cloud savegames on PC, because Google Play services save them to Google Drive in such format that the user cannot view or download them...
No stress:) There are 3rd party programs for classic synchronizing mobile device and desktop. So the easiest way is to set choose right files/directories and to set right path to those savegames to synchronize...
Anyway I would like to report a bug with world map. As you can see the beige menu is stretched over the screen and there is no way how to shrink it and stretch the map window.

I have galaxy note 2, android 4.3 rooted, resolution 1280x720. I tried 1920x1080, 320x240, 640x480... all the same. No matter what graphic settings I choose (first with zBase and some other 32-bit mods, then only zBase and finally only OpenGFX. I can move the window to the left or right or down but I cannot change its size

Attachments
2014-07-24-21-21-57.png
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

Alberth wrote:This happens when you have lots of industries, the bottom part is always big enough to be able to display all tabs. With many industries, you need a lot of room to display all text.
I think I'll just butcher that legend area for map window, or make it into another widget, because it's definitely huge.
tomas.lizner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tomas.lizner »

One more thing - could be possible make the pause button "floatable" or somehow configurable for moving it to the right panel? Pause is very used button so if you hold the phone in one (usually left) hand, you have to very often move your right hand always over the screen and for the moment hide the game. For those who hold the phone and control the game with both hands would nothing change with pause on the right side but it would help for players with one-hand-control...

Absolutely great would be make those panels fully configurable so everyone could make his own control panel (position, size...). But for start just that pause thing would be nice. Just idea ;-)
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

I usually hold my phone in my right hand, because it's my dominant hand, so less chance to drop it while walking.
I guess we need a vote, to know which hand majority is using :)
Anyway, it's trivial to do button reordering using some kind of string with numbers in advanced settings, but it's complicated to create proper dialog for rearranging buttons, especially with togglable right panel. I would love to have this feature implemented by official devs, but I don't think they will agree, because it won't benefit PC version as much as Android port.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Might it benefit Windows 8 touchscreen users, though?
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

No. Those Windows 8 tablets are huge, starting at 8 inches, so playing PC version of OpenTTD on them is easy.
And I doubt that UI changes from my port will ever go into official OpenTTD anyway.
tomas.lizner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tomas.lizner »

pelya wrote:
Alberth wrote:This happens when you have lots of industries, the bottom part is always big enough to be able to display all tabs. With many industries, you need a lot of room to display all text.
I disabled all industries, played the map 64x64 with two towns, no AI and still the same problem..
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

"many industries" here means a NewGRF that provides many different types of industries. No industries on the map is irrelevant, as all types available to the game are still displayed in the legend.
The issue here is the spacing of labels, they are very far apart (due to the button size setting I suppose).
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

did you try selecting all the tabs, to see what text is the largest? One of them should be the limiting factor.
pelya
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by pelya »

I think the best solution would be a button to show/hide the whole legend area. Even if it will be made small, it will take 1/4 of screen anyway.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

pelya wrote:I think the best solution would be a button to show/hide the whole legend area.
That would be an interesting feature for other platforms as well!
fizze
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fizze »

FooBar wrote:
pelya wrote:I think the best solution would be a button to show/hide the whole legend area.
That would be an interesting feature for other platforms as well!
+1 for that
I think that would make the map window actually useful on Android devices. :)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”