MacOS X unofficial builds

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

argotron
Engineer
Engineer

MacOS X unofficial builds

Post by argotron »

Tired of crawling the forums for Mac OS X builds after each release, I've decided to made my own OpenTTD builds. They are made for personal use, using vanilla OpenTTD code and they are available here. I hope I can maintain this page, for every new stable release in the foreseeable future. Let me know if I can contribute with a better build, since I'm a newbie when it comes to programming and compiling. But I'm open to any suggestion that may help me create better builds.
Last edited by planetmaker on 14 Nov 2010 15:02, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: offered packages don't comply to license - link removed
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: MacOS X unofficial builds

Post by petert »

I get an error 404 when opening that link.
argotron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by argotron »

Fixed. Sorry for that.
camuns
Engineer
Engineer

Post by camuns »

Hi all

Can you help me, I received allways this error message:

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libicui18n.43.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/spiele/OpenTTD-1/OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS/openttd
Reason: image not found
Anon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Anon »

Have you compiled and installed icu? Also, the official guide.
camuns
Engineer
Engineer

Post by camuns »

ok, I know not exactly what, but I did yesterday something wrong. Now it works.

Thanks
Echo51
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Echo51 »

1.0.2 32bit fails to start under OS10.6.4 on a 13" white macbook, early-2010 model
ttfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ttfan »

this only works on x86-macs, is there any new version of openttd for older ppc macs?

greetings
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

The 32bit version doesn't appear to be a 32bit version. I get the following error on my 32bit Mac on Snow Leopard (10.6.3):
-bash: /Applications/OpenTTD/OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS/openttd: Bad CPU type in executable
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
ryangs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ryangs »

Thanks for tackling this task! It can certainly be a thankless one.

When I try to run the 64-bit version on 10.6, I get:

Code: Select all

dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libpng12.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /Applications/./OpenTTD.app/Contents/MacOS/openttd
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
Probably most of us who don't have macports installed are going to be missing a bunch of these libraries. They can be compiled in, right?
Wintersoldier
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wintersoldier »

ryangs wrote:They can be compiled in, right?
In what?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i think he means statically linked.
ryangs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ryangs »

Eddi wrote:i think he means statically linked.
Exactly! I am not exactly a developer, but I have built OpenTTD for Mac before. I'd do it now, but I don't have space for Xcode and everything else on my tiny laptop hard drive.
KingRobot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KingRobot »

argotron wrote:Tired of crawling the forums for Mac OS X builds after each release, I've decided to made my own OpenTTD builds. They are made for personal use, using vanilla OpenTTD code and they are available here. I hope I can maintain this page, for every new stable release in the foreseeable future.
Thanks for your page! I've added it to a growing list of folks who are working on OS X builds:
http://openttd.eisbox.net/
argotron wrote:Let me know if I can contribute with a better build, since I'm a newbie when it comes to programming and compiling. But I'm open to any suggestion that may help me create better builds.
Universal binaries, support backwards to 10.4, and no dependencies on non-standard libraries (i.e. macports), are a great place to start. Keep it up.
Last edited by planetmaker on 14 Nov 2010 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link in quotation removed - binaries there don't comply to license
achjay
Engineer
Engineer

Post by achjay »

G'day Argotron, et al. I'm a complete newbie here but have been reading about the problems of maintaining a Mac OS X build. The discussion I saw resulted in all versions for Mac being withdrawn for the download site. I don't understand this and must admit confusion. I'm running OpenTTD 0.7.5 on Mac OS 10.6.2. I've been running this for a long time and never even considered a new version when I updated to Snow Leopard. When I did update to Snow Leopard, everything kept working just like it did under Leopard. So:

- if it works, then why withdraw it?
- what are the newer versions about. Do they offer new features?

Sorry if these observations sound dumb. I'm not a programmer and I'm new to this forum, but I've been playing TTD since DOS days. It's the greatest game on earth and I like playing it on Mac, where it seems to work just fine.
Arie-
Director
Director

Post by Arie- »

Read this: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=45247

Answer to first question.
- The problem is, there are not longer official OpenTTD releases for MAC by the OpenTTD dev team from OpenTTD.org. Reasons are in the thread posted above.
Answer to the second question.
- However, as OpenTTD is open source software, everyone can compile their own binaries from the repository with the source code. New features in trunk or releases of OpenTTD are also available through this repository. Features through patches are available trough the forums. So MacOS users still can compile their own binaries, those binaries may or may not work. New versions do no longer come from through openttd.org.

ps. Take a look in the OpenTTD wiki at the release pages, or scroll through the release changelogs to get an idea of features introduced through time.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

achjay wrote:- if it works, then why withdraw it?
It highly depends on your point of view whether it works or not.
For example, some combinations of hardware and Mac OS X fail to provide 8 bits rendering possibilities. Which exact combinations that are is unknown, so for ALL Mac OS Xes past 10.4 (IIRC) the significantly slower 32bits rendering has been enabled. There have been several reports about OpenTTD not being playable anymore because of that "minor" change on their computer where it ran perfectly with the 8bits rendering. Does that person consider the Mac OS X port to still work?

At the point of release (and actually still) the Mac OS X port fails to provide support for entering most non-Latin characters, making it almost unplayable for anyone not using the Latin alphabet exclusively. Does such a person consider the Mac OS X port to work?

Under certain situations the host OS' cursor/pointer still shows with OpenTTD, hover it stays stationary, or when using the SDL backend OpenTTD is totally unplayable. Is that to be considered working?

Mac OS X crashes when the music of OpenMSX is played. Is that to be considered the expected and desired behaviour? Would you consider OpenTTD to be working if it crashed due to music playing?

For some people going to full screen crashes OpenTTD, would you consider that to be the correct working of OpenTTD?

Some of these issues are over 2.5 years old. Roughly 1.5 years ago we started finding someone who wanted/could maintain the port within the people regularly visiting IRC, we found no-one. So about a year ago we made a big announcement of the website that unless the list of Mac OS X specific bugs would be resolved we would drop support, although technically the support was already dropped as we had nobody to actively fix the bugs. A month or so before the release the final decision was made based on the fact that (at that time) 75% of the open bugs for the 1.0 branch were Mac OS X specific! Would you consider something to be "working" if 75% of the bugs are caused by that part?

In any case, without a maintainer there *is* no way for us to give it the predicate: "officially supported" as it simply is NOT true. If we were to still compile those binaries that would be seen as us "officially supporting" the Mac OS X port, which simply is not possible.

And don't come up with suggestions how we could alleviate the problem, such as suggesting to use another visual backend like SDL or QT. That has to be developed and tested on a Mac, which requires someone with knowledge of the platform and that person could be way more productive by fixing the actual bugs. Furthermore it is known the OpenTTD doesn't run in Parallels which throws that suggestion out of the window as well.

In any case, 99% of the suggestions you have have already been suggested in the other thread and the only proper suggestion is: I'm going to maintain the Mac OS X port together with a bug fix for all open Mac OS X bugs and after we let some (other) people (with a Mac) test that we'll consider giving you access rights and actually making you the maintainer (Oh yes, there have been people claiming to maintain it without ever showing up again, people "fixing" bugs but only introducing more, people supplying bug fixes that simply don't even compile... so yes, we really want to see your work and have it tested).
achjay
Engineer
Engineer

Post by achjay »

Rubidium I am very sorry that my question made you angry. It was innocent and certainly not accusing anyone of anything, just looking for enlightenment. Lots of games are available for purchase and don't run on lots of hardware combinations. I have a cupboard full of them. That doesn't stop those folks from selling them . So I was just wondering why the plug was pulled totally instead of making old versions available to folks that can use them. ........ I really do (ABSOLUTELY) appreciate the efforts to fix bugs and maintain hardware support, and I am grateful that you have stepped up to undertake that job, especially since such work is well outside my expertise.

Please keep up to good work and be assured that it is GREATLY APPRECIATED :-) I nearly cried when TTD died first time around and sang for joy when it was resurrected as OpenTTD. I wish I could help, but it's not within my skill set to even understand the issues :-(

Once again, sorry for upsetting you.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

I'm not angry.

And what others do doesn't really matter much to me. If you kill someone, should I do as well? The same for releasing stuff; if others release crap/buggy stuff, should I do as well? If someone else says something is officially supported when it is clear they can't back up that claim, should I do as well?

It's also not in our skill set to really maintain the Mac OS X port, which kinda means we can't do it either. And that then is the whole point again; no one with a (love for) Mac(s) cares enough to fix the bugs / take over maintainership (skill sets can be acquired as long as there is a will for acquiring it).
argotron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by argotron »

KingRobot wrote: Thanks for your page! I've added it to a growing list of folks who are working on OS X builds:
http://openttd.eisbox.net/
Thanks!

I've updated my builds to the latest 1.0.3.

I'm sorry for all of you who gets errors while running my builds. I'm not a programmer and I cannot help you all. I hope that in the future I can refine my build methods and deliver better builds. I have three Mac OS X machines: one with Leopard, one with Snow 32b and one with Snow 64b. My builds works on all three of them, respectively.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”