Chill's patchpack v14_7

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Chill's patchpack v14_7

Post by FLHerne »

marek17 wrote:The stable version of this graphic bug not discovered yet.

Unfortunately makes me angry that thing when you want to play the map to distinetion 16384x16384 game crashes and shows a warning screen will be. It does not have enough free memory. (Out of Memory).
That is a limitation of your computer (or possibly OS), not the game.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
marek17
Engineer
Engineer

Post by marek17 »

My PC assembly:
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
CPU: Intel Core I5 3570K
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 DRAM
GPU: ATI Radeon 7950
Monitor: Eizo 24 "1920x1200

I was seamlessly run Crysis 3 at higher detail. I do not think OpenTTD will be more difficult than Crysis3.
Motherboard:ASUS P8Z77-V CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K RAM: 4x8GB Crucial BLT8G3D1608DT1TX0CEU GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7950 Boost
PSU: Enermax 525W Pro82+ HDD: 3x WD 3TB SATA3.0
DVDROM: Bluray LG BH16NS40,LiteON iHAS 124E Monitor: Eizo 24" EV2436WFS3-BK EcoView Case: BitFenix Colossus Red Bigtower
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

marek17 wrote:My PC assembly:
Mainboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
CPU: Intel Core I5 3570K
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 DRAM
GPU: ATI Radeon 7950
Monitor: Eizo 24 "1920x1200

I was seamlessly run Crysis 3 at higher detail. I do not think OpenTTD will be more difficult than Crysis3.
FPS games such as Crysis make very heavy use of 3D graphics acceleration, but relatively little RAM and CPU time (particulary per-core). Trying to determine performance in one game from a completely different one doesn't work. :wink:

Generating a 16384^2 map in OpenTTD uses a ridiculous amount of RAM - not far off 20GB IIRC, and definitely more than 8GB. The game wasn't really designed for maps that large. Don't forget that a 16384^2 map is 16x the area of the largest map available in normal OTTD, and no less than 64x bigger than those available before 1.4.0-beta5.

This patchpack also doesn't have MJP's patches to reduce RAM usage during map generation, which were one of the reasons 4096^2 maps were accepted in trunk.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
marek17
Engineer
Engineer

Post by marek17 »

I agree, Crysis 3 is not OpenTTD.

What about virtual memory? Free disk space in GB? I could magnifies the virtual memory on the disk, but whether it will be effective. How much may address OTTD original data and Chillpack147? Old version of TTD has its restrictions concerning 8bit MS DOS.
Motherboard:ASUS P8Z77-V CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K RAM: 4x8GB Crucial BLT8G3D1608DT1TX0CEU GPU: Sapphire Radeon 7950 Boost
DVDROM: Bluray LG BH16NS40,LiteON iHAS 124E Monitor: Eizo 24" EV2436WFS3-BK EcoView Case: BitFenix Colossus Red Bigtower
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

marek17 wrote:I agree, Crysis 3 is not OpenTTD.

What about virtual memory? Free disk space in GB? I could magnifies the virtual memory on the disk, but whether it will be effective. How much may address OTTD original data and Chillpack147? Old version of TTD has its restrictions concerning 8bit MS DOS.
Assuming you're using the 64-bit ChillPP build, memory addressing limitations won't be a problem.
Using virtual memory/swap space is unlikely to be useful - it might work (eventually), but it'll be incredibly slow: HDDs are thousands of times slower than RAM.

Just use a map size that your computer can actually generate and play. :P You'd need some enormous professional workstation to even generate the crazy-big maps, let alone play on them with a reasonable amount of infrastructure.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Trying to play on a 4096x4096 map with an Intel Core i3 w/ 8 GB RAM and 5000+ vehicles is challenging enough, and playing on that map for THREE YEARS I didn't even come close to filling up even half the map or taking advantage of all the resources.
marek17
Engineer
Engineer

Post by marek17 »

OK

Problem with the map I solved.

Now looking for a good patch that will be able to read a saved game from 1.3.0-1.3.3 and will work with patch Build templates.
I found this some packs you able to read the stored position 1.3-1.3.3 games but did not allow Save template with the extension *. Tmpl.
I am concerned the Chilli pack can not read the saved game from version 1.3-1.3.3.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

marek17 wrote:OK

Problem with the map I solved.

Now looking for a good patch that will be able to read a saved game from 1.3.0-1.3.3 and will work with patch Build templates.
I found this some packs you able to read the stored position 1.3-1.3.3 games but did not allow Save template with the extension *. Tmpl.
I am concerned the Chilli pack can not read the saved game from version 1.3-1.3.3.
It will not work with anything as new as 1.2.0 even. And it will also not work with a lot of NewGRFs due to lacking support for many new NewGRF features introduced in 1.2
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i'm pretty sure this patchpack cannot even load 1.1.x savegames.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It should be able to open OpenTTD 1.1.0 games, not sure about 1.1.1-1.1.5 though.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

kamnet wrote:It should be able to open OpenTTD 1.1.0 games, not sure about 1.1.1-1.1.5 though.
these are all the same (savegame) version, if it were able to load one, it would be able to load the others as well.

Chill's Patchpack was branched off somewhere between 1.0 and 1.1, with trunk changes being regularly merged back in until halfway through 1.2. but savegame compatibility to trunk was lost. so while the patchpack has all the features of 1.1, it cannot load 1.1 savegames. and if it were further updated (which it won't), it could still not load the savegames (or it would lose the ability to load savegames made by the patchpack)
archy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by archy »

It's sad that this patch pack got left behind - it featured many components that, if properly polished and ported to trunk, could make OpenTTD an even better game than it already is.

In case any devs are reading this, here's the list of chillpp components that I miss the most when playing OpenTTD 1.4.1, with some notes on what made them useful/cool:
  1. More height levels
    Mountains rock! (No pun intended :P)
    I once created and played a mountainous sub-artic scenario using this patch pack, where a huge ice-covered mountain ridge separated two towns from the rest of the map. The goal, of course, was to deliver passengers+mail+food+goods to those isolated towns... :) It was probably the most fun single-player OpenTTD game I played so far.
  2. Signals in tunnels and on bridges
    Vital for building high-capacity train lines through mountainous terrain. The way this patch is implemented is a little quirky and inflexible, so I understand that it is not considered ready for trunk - but it is much better than having no way at all to let multiple vehicles drive behind one another in the same tunnel/bridge.
  3. Tree line height
    Just eye candy, but wow it's effective. It makes sub-arctic maps look much more beautiful and realistic; in particular, high mountains will look much more majestic.
  4. Automated timetable and separation
    Vital if you're running lots of passenger services that you don't want to micro-manage, especially with buses. Note: The "CTRL-click to set cumulative start-time offsets" feature that made it into trunk is pretty useless IMO and by no means a substitute for real auto-separation like this chillpp patch provided.
  5. Town rating colors
    It's nice to get instant feedback on how your actions affect your rating with the town authorities, rather than having to open two dialogs just to see your rating for a given town.
  6. Copy & Paste
    I understand that the devs are against this because it could be used unfairly/annoyingly in competitive multi-player games, but for single-player games with huge train networks it's really nice to have.
  7. Measurement tool
    Not vital, but helpful for example for finding matching start & end points for tunnels and bridges in hilly terrain, or for starting to build a long train track from both ends and making sure it will connect in the middle.
PS: Oh, and chillpp also had additional transparency options for showing what goes on inside tunnels and for showing the catchment/coverage area of all stations - those were pretty useful too.
vtk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vtk »

Yeah, I too miss the extra height levels. That made for some true pathfinding challenges in mountainous terrain. Like when your start and end points are 100 tiles apart horizontally, at a difference of 20 height levels, and you want to build a track that only steps up one height level every 8 tiles. Fun times…

I also miss how ctrl+cloning a vehicle would suppress opening the new vehicle window.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

vtk wrote:I also miss how ctrl+cloning a vehicle would suppress opening the new vehicle window.
That's in trunk now (since 1.4) if ctrl+clicking the 'clone' button of a vehicle stopped in a depot.
vtk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vtk »

FLHerne wrote:
vtk wrote:I also miss how ctrl+cloning a vehicle would suppress opening the new vehicle window.
That's in trunk now (since 1.4) if ctrl+clicking the 'clone' button of a vehicle stopped in a depot.
Does that only work with the clone button in the existing vehicle's window? I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with the clone button in the depot window, which is what I usually use.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

why wouldn't you use that button? it's way more effective when cloning more than one vehicle, which is the only time where it even matters whether a train window pops up or not.
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

Is there any on-going patch pack that is currently available/maintained? Searching this forum does not seem to yield any results. :(
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Some of the reddit servers use a patched OpenTTD with Daylength and some smaller things more.
http://www.reddit.com/r/openttd/
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

There's also the Spring 2013 Patch Pack and Vaulter's Hard Game Pack. Neither have been updated in awhile, but the OpenTTD source code used isn't missing any significant gameplay or feature enhancements, and all the included patches haven't had many/any significant changes either.
vtk
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vtk »

Eddi wrote:why wouldn't you use that button? it's way more effective when cloning more than one vehicle, which is the only time where it even matters whether a train window pops up or not.
Doesn't that button change to something else when the vehicle isn't in a depot? If a button isn't always there, but another button that does the same thing is, I tend to forget about the former.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”