[patch] trees growth reduced

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Gigigonzalez
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [patch] trees growth reduced

Post by Gigigonzalez »

Both solutions could imo work, one is just more complicated to fabricate than the other.
Sankeyao
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sankeyao »

The tree mechanics as of now are currently my only issue with the eyecandy of OTTD. Having no compromise between either "original" generation (barren land after 50 years) or "improved" generation (whole map is a nature reserve after 50 years) really bums.

How does tree spreading work? Why does the "original" tree algorithm end up with barren landscapes, even though there are still a respectable number of trees planted on the map at the start?
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Gigigonzalez wrote:Meh, interesting but still doesn't really solve the trade off between having no trees at all or having a sh*tload of them after 25/50 years and nothing in between. Its a killer for multi player games.
I already tested it on multiplayer server and in my opinion it solves above problem - keeping trees and map size on reasonable level.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Gigigonzalez
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gigigonzalez »

Ehm... Differences in GRF? FIRS? Tropic?

All tested and working?

I doubt this trick will fix all the problems without concessions etc.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Gigigonzalez wrote:Ehm... Differences in GRF? FIRS? Tropic?
In case of tropic, there is no tree issue in my opinion, because trees are limited to rainforest area.
If FIRS or ECS are used, you would have just two independent wood sources - original forest and logging camp.
One have low productivity (without supplies) but is stable, the second offer higher productivity albeit with risk of closure, if run out of trees.
Your choice.

For further discussion related to logging camp newgrf concept I invite to this thread:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=71330
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

The ECS sawmill already displays this behaviour,
if you dont deliever wood or dont deliver enough wood it will chop down nearby trees to create wood products,

Return to “OpenTTD Development”