Patch: Rating in Town Label [v13-r18684]

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Patch: Rating in Town Label [v13-r18684]

Post by Terkhen »

The existing patch can already be turned on or off. I don't see how allowing to turn a feature off solve the problems of said feature.

I mentioned colour blindness because it is a problem (IIRC) not already mentioned in this thread. Check it to see that people without any kind of colour blindness also find showing town rating by colours confusing. Besides, there are a lot of grades of colour blindness (check wikipedia); I was referring to the common ones, not total colour blindness.
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PouncingAnt »

I'm colour blinded myself - yellow and green can be very hard for me to distinguish (everything else is fine). This made managing power in C&C Tiberian Sun very confusing! Still, my personal opinion is that colour blindness should not be an issue in this debate, since as you mentioned, you can turn the patch off!

I'm not sure on the amount of coding required, but you could make a little smiley face for each rating
Outstanding :lol: Excellent :D Good :) Mediocre :? poor :( very poor :x appauling :evil:

I'm thinking of a simple outline, not anything particularly artistic, not much -if any- bigger than the height of the label text. I'm guessing that would require some GRF'ing too, so things could get awkwardly inter-disciplinary!
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!
Try the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge
Or even better, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 2
Or better still, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 3
Or, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 4

Or try my scenario instead!

-(A lazy) OpenTTD Japanese Translator-
-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-
"You get what you pay for, so pay attention!"

Patches:
Company Station Stats
BenTrein
Engineer
Engineer

Coloured town names

Post by BenTrein »

Somewhere on this forum I found a patch that changed the colour of the town names depending on the rating in that town. This patch doesn't work anymore on 1.1.0:

Code: Select all

town_cmd.cpp:356:51: error: ‘struct Town’ has no member named ‘Label’
make[1]: *** [town_cmd.o] Error 1
And more along the same lines.

I do know a lot of people who liked this feature though. Would it be possible to have this implemented as optional in the advanced settings menu? I'm sure many people will turn it on!
Greetz,

Ben Trein

The internet isn't a highway. It's a swamp: the more you surf, the more it draws you in!
Arie-
Director
Director

Re: Coloured town names

Post by Arie- »

I'm sure the devs would consider this if
- it's a proper patch
- without bugs
- conforms to the code style guidelines
- is tested properly
etc.

As that patch currently doesn't even work it definitely will not be included in its current state. You could however fix it to try to get it included.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Coloured town names

Post by planetmaker »

BenTrein wrote:Somewhere on this forum I found a patch
Next time you want to discuss a patch, please post in the topic dedicated to that very patch. Don't let others do the dirty work to find the context of what you are referring to. Your own issues should be worth you at least as much time to actually find the appropriate thread.

- No need to start a 2nd thread which does contain zero new information
- Going back to this thread immediately shows why it was eventually NOT included, in particular the game needs to stay accessible to those people who have difficulties to distinguish red and green (10% of the male population!). Just coloured text as here makes that impossible
- If you have issues with a patch, give both the OpenTTD version you compile, and link to the patch you use.
- Also simple bumps along the lines of "please update this patch"... are not particularily well received either.

An implementation with a smiley face as suggested in the last real contribution here, might be worth considering an advanced option. But it needs more work in other places which this patch currently does not touch yet. And it'd need those sprites.
xmirakulix
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xmirakulix »

updated to apply cleanly against current trunk
Attachments
town-rating-label_r22502.diff
(6.57 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
xmirakulix
Engineer
Engineer