Signals in tunnels and on bridges V3.02 r24031

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Steijn
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Signals in tunnels and on bridges V3.02 r24031

Post by Steijn »

MasterMeNL wrote:Thanks for verifying this.
I decided to test all of my builds to find the culprit and it is ATC Speed Control, turning it off fixing the problems even in the latest builds!

I'll try to fix this problem, but I may not be able to.
ATC Speed Control doesn't like checking those "weird" signals on "impossible" places I guess.
Aha, well at least the problem is now known. :) Hope you can fix the problem!
P.S. Want to play co-op sometime?
I guess that is multiplayer? Nah, I think my OTTD playing style is not so well suited for multiplaying. I just like to build complex traffic systems and scenario's and I don't play it as a game trying to build the best performing company. ;)

---------

About the problems I have with patching the current trunk with the signals-patch, I still haven't been able to solve them. I'am just lacking the programming skills to correctly identify the problem I guess. :x So if there is volunteer to make the patch compatible with current trunk I would appreciate it very much. :)
MasterMeNL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MasterMeNL »

Steijn wrote:I guess that is multiplayer? Nah, I think my OTTD playing style is not so well suited for multiplaying. I just like to build complex traffic systems and scenario's and I don't play it as a game trying to build the best performing company. ;)

---------

About the problems I have with patching the current trunk with the signals-patch, I still haven't been able to solve them. I'am just lacking the programming skills to correctly identify the problem I guess. :x So if there is volunteer to make the patch compatible with current trunk I would appreciate it very much. :)
I play very similar to you if I read that, I like just building some complex systems and making it look a bit realistic by using all kinds of vehicles.
Just chilling while building some cool stuff basically.

I'll update it to trunk when I get back on my desktop, should be up here within a few hours.

Edit: Updated, but the difference was only 2 lines.
Did you get the patch from the opening post because the only things different from signaltunnel_V3.03.r25593.patch compared to r25799 are savegame versions. ;)
I attached the updated file.

Regards,

Melvin.
Attachments
signaltunnel_V3.03.r25799.patch
I didn't compile this but it should work.
(36.01 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
RoLa
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Signals in tunnels and on bridges

Post by RoLa »

I dont know how or if it could or is implemented, but wouldnt it be easy and realistic to have automatically two way block signals on every tile in tunnels and on bridges. They dont need be displayed. The ottd engine could handle every bridge and tunnel like this and there could be a setting to turn this behavior on.
Steijn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Steijn »

I'll update it to trunk when I get back on my desktop, should be up here within a few hours.

Did you get the patch from the opening post because the only things different from signaltunnel_V3.03.r25593.patch compared to r25799 are savegame versions. ;)
I attached the updated file.

Regards,

Melvin.
Little late :oops: , but thank you for the update. :bow: Works like a charm!
Steijn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Steijn »

Hi, it's me again, I was using the patch updatet by Melvin (MasterMeNL) on trunk r25800, everything works fine. But I tried to use the VAST graphics set, but then OpenTTD crashed. So I tried to open the VAST graphics set in an unpatched version of trunk r25800 and experienced the same crash! So I tried to use the VAST graphics set on current trunk r25866, and it worked nicely. But, as you might guess, now patching the Signals on bridges/tunnel-patch again gives an error. :evil: :) It seems there is again a problem with the saveload.h and saveload.cpp file. So can someone repair this patch so it can work again with current trunk? :oops:

Melvin, you wrote earlier:
I guess it is the same problem again this time, and it's probably easy to solve. Can you describe what changes/steps you made previously? I'll try to fix the above described problem this time myself. :) I hate to ask it every time. ;)
Steijn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Steijn »

I plucked up my courage, decided to dive into the code on my own, and I think I succeeded in making the patch compatible with current trunk (r25867). :shock: Now compiling... :D
Attachments
signaltunnel_V3.03.r25867.patch
(36.01 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

Any chance this patch can be updated against the latest trunk?
beginner2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by beginner2 »

aantono wrote:Any chance this patch can be updated against the latest trunk?
Sure, why not. Here you go.
Attachments
signaltunnel_V3.04.r26730.patch
(36.19 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

Thanks, will give it a try.
lostwizard
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lostwizard »

beginner2 wrote:Sure, why not. Here you go.
It definitely applied to the latest trunk (r26765) and built. It works for the most part except for the most critical component. Trains simply stop and wait for the bridge or tunnel to clear even with signals enabled (and a spacing of 2). It seems something changed in the mainline code so that the patch isn't behaving as expected. I poked at it a bit to see if I could figure out what but I quickly realized I had no idea what I was looking at. I might take another look when I have some more time.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there used to be a bug where the signals on the bridge wouldn't work if a path signal was nearby (which basically makes the patch pointless for me)
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

Because of the way track reservations work, path-based signals don't consider the "simulated" signals inside the tunnel to be a safe stopping point and therefore try to reserve a path all the way to the next "real" signal, therefore considering the entire tunnel to be one signal block. The workaround is to place a block signal before the tunnel entrance, if you really need a junction before the tunnel pre-signals work fine. More of a feature than a bug imo, you don't really want a multi-headed diesel idling in a tunnel for too long.

Edit : attached update to latest trunk (r26911)
Attachments
03_signaltunnel_V3.04.r26911.patch
(35.69 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

that is easily the worst justification for "it's not a bug, it's a feature" i've ever heard...
KeldorKatarn
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by KeldorKatarn »

Eddi wrote:that is easily the worst justification for "it's not a bug, it's a feature" i've ever heard...
Here I have to agree. While in general you can work with this code I had several problems in it during my let's play so it is everything but final. If you don't place the signals very carefully around these bridges or tunnels you get bugs where trains will no longer move, be stuck in front of such a bridge or other stuff so it is neither user friendly nor feature complete. It should be possible to put any number of signals of different types at the end of a bridge and the signal distance on the bridge itself should be changable per bridge with the normal signal UI not as a setting in the options screen.

The idea is great but it should be optimized and redesigned maybe to make these simulated signals work like regular ones. I think the author of this should cooperate with the people working on "new map features". This stuff is just as much a needed improvement as diagonal roads and different diagonal rail types on the same tile but those features are so important that they have to be done right and designed well. Stuff like making changes to the map and the way signals work are basically touching the core game mechanics and you can't rush such a thing, that needs to work 100% well both from the inner workings AND from the usability point of view.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

This work-around seems quite useful. However, I'm puzzled. It seems OpenTTD and TTD Patch are separate programmes, so does this created work-around partner only with TTD Patch? Also, I thought somebody thoughtfully shared a link to the patch manual somewhere throughout this very thread yet I cannot find it again, so would somebody please share it here?

Lastly, this whole game is very new to me, so might I be missing anything else here as far as preparation(s) go at adopting this work-around at stringing faux signals along bridges and tunnels? If so, what other steps should I execute?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

All the threads in this subforum are about sourcecode changes for OpenTTD ("patches"), and have absolutely nothing to do with the TTDPatch project.
.//Hack
Engineer
Engineer

Post by .//Hack »

Hi all!

I have updated this patch for 1.5.0-Beta1 (r27112) and add a russian translate
Attachments
Tunnels and bridges signals for 1.5.0-Beta1 (r27112).patch
(37.99 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
TGVfan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TGVfan »

Sorry if this has been asked hundreds of times before. But how do I get this patch in my OpenTTD?
zooks
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by zooks »

TGVfan wrote:Sorry if this has been asked hundreds of times before. But how do I get this patch in my OpenTTD?
See the sticky: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=21678
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

zooks wrote:
TGVfan wrote:Sorry if this has been asked hundreds of times before. But how do I get this patch in my OpenTTD?
See the sticky: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=21678
There's a much more detailed explanation here.
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]

Return to “OpenTTD Development”