Patch: Left click scrolling

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Patch: Left click scrolling

Post by FooBar »

'Scroll' seems a proper English definition for 'moving around on the map'.
According to the Free Dictionary:
To cause (displayed text or graphics) to move up, down, or across the screen so that a line of text or graphics appears at one edge of the screen for each line that moves off the opposite edge
We already also have a 'Reverse scroll direction' patch option, which uses exactly the same definition for scroll as this patch.

But maybe it's best to wait and hear from a real native English speaker, than us arguing about something we both don't know for sure :mrgreen:
andrewas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by andrewas »

'Scroll' is the term Ive always used for this function, and if you look up the manuals for any RTS, they use the same term.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

It's "to scroll", all right.

"To translate" has to do with languages or encodings, unless modified by "address" or a trademark (e.g. "Google", "Windows Live"), or you've clearly established a geometric subject.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

"To scroll" or not "to scroll": that is the question.
grl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by grl »

Can somebody send me patched openTTD for PocketPC?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Yes. The people who make it.

OpenTTD for PocketPC is not supported here, at least partly because no one has donated a PPC to any of the developers.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

DaleStan wrote:OpenTTD for PocketPC is not supported here, at least partly because no one has donated a PPC to any of the developers.
Make another fundraiser :mrgreen:
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

I have no time (ok, I have some) and I don't have enough knowledge to mantain the PocketPC patch, but if you want I can send you my binary (rev before 10000)
Before doing that I must say that the only places where that binary was tried are: 1) my pda 2) TrueBrain's (was you? I can't remember :P ) VC80 virtual device, maybe others tried it but I don't know
The game takes about 2 minutes to load, max 128x128 maps, excessive battery draining, but it is playable (except for some gui)
I tried to update the patch more times, with more or less good results (never better than the original one) and now it needs to be rewrite from scratch 'cause significant changes on trunk

[Back in topic]
The left click scrolling can be really useful, I want to purchase a digital graphic board and I think the best way is to use the left click scrolling, since I'll need to press the trigger to use the right click, which can be used to "drop" the active tool instead
Maybe a setting like left/right hand but applied to other devices
In DS and PDA I know it is possible to separate moving and dragging by tracking the pressure of the touch (if you have a homebrew-enabled DS you might want to try Colors, which is a paint drawing tool really well done, with a pressure controlled width of the brush), in graphic boards you can hover over the board to move the pointer without clicking, so dragging and moving are already separate
Many ergonomical mouses/trackballs for disabled people I found have only one button or they are split in 2 parts to be used with two hands/eyes etc and they might need to achieve the most basic function without doing too much actions or press more than one button

If you can add this behavior with a setting you have my plenty agreement, you added the inverse scrolling, why not the inverse button too? :D
aapo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by aapo »

Is there updates for this patch? (Or is this in main trunk?)
I checked this against r14655 and there almost ten FAILED chunk.

That "scroll on boards" are good, but if window is only 480px width, the upper and bottom of window is full of toolbars, so scrolling is impossible. And if mouse has only one button, your patch is only solution.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

DaleStan wrote:Yes. The people who make it.

OpenTTD for PocketPC is not supported here, at least partly because no one has donated a PPC to any of the developers.
I offered them mine and they ran away from it like it was a talisman of destruction and despair.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Brianetta wrote:

I offered them mine and they ran away from it like it was a talisman of destruction and despair.
Isn't it?
I thought that it was because it's trying to steal PPC away from PowerPC, which is really confusing :?
aapo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by aapo »

I updated the left-mouse-button-scroll-patch. Credits to the original author.
Now it is against svn14657.
Attachments
left_btn_scroll_r14657.diff
(13.11 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Brianetta wrote:

I offer mine for testing too, I already have an old revision made by TrueLight/TrueBrain which worked but was really heavy and drained the battery quickly

Return to “OpenTTD Development”