S60v3 port

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

wolf
Engineer
Engineer

S60v3 port

Post by wolf »

Hi.
I have made openttd port for S60v3 (symbian) devices. Obligatory screenshots: http://team.pld-linux.org/~wolf/symbian/openttd/.
All the fancy features found in PC openttd version are here, ie. nothing has beed cut out.

Port uses SDL for audio and video support and unix backend for startup, threading, etc.

Required libraries can be downloaded from: http://team.pld-linux.org/~wolf/symbian/support/. PIPS provides POSIX layer on symbian, ssl includes required zlib library and stdcpp is the standard C++ library implemetation.
You will need to put original ttd data files in e:\openttd\data\ directory. Memory card is required.

Game controls are simple: directional keys control the mouse, left/right soft key is left/right mouse button, * is ctrl, 0 is shift. Mouse pointer is not limited to screen, as sometimes windows do not fit in small phone resolutions and going out of screen is the only way to close such windows. 1 and 3 keys function as left mouse button, 7 and 9 keys coupled with directional keys allow map scrolling. 5 key resets the mouse pointer to the center of the screen. Camera zoom in and out buttons allow zooming in and out in game.

Hope you enjoy it.

Game installation file can be downloaded here: http://team.pld-linux.org/~wolf/symbian/openttd.sisx
Required libraries: http://team.pld-linux.org/~wolf/symbian/support/ (UPDATE 28.07.2008!)
Previous changelogs: http://team.pld-linux.org/~wolf/symbian/CHANGELOG
Latest patch: http://team.pld-linux.org/~wolf/symbian ... 4.patch.gz

Update (20.03.2009)
List of changes:
- Updated to rev 15770.
- Enabled network support. Content download works. Multiplayer is not supported.
- Simplified graphics handling (SDL fix).
- Added support for scaled down high resolution modes (SDL fix).
- Added support for S60v5.

Update (04.12.2009)
List of changes:
- Updated to rev 18404.
Last edited by wolf on 04 Dec 2009 22:20, edited 12 times in total.
Draakon
Director
Director

Re: S60v3 port

Post by Draakon »

will this work on Sony Ericsson Walkman W550i? :P (i know its an ancient phone)
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

if it use symbian6.0 as operative system...
Member of the
ImageImage
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

You can find all the supported phones at http://www.s60.com/life/s60phones/brows ... RD_EDITION.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Looks nice, though some screens need to be modified to be able to cope with lower resolution.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Draakon
Director
Director

Post by Draakon »

My phone does not support S60v3 port :( Hopefully someone makes a port that my phone can use.
PhantomLord
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PhantomLord »

Hi

I have Nokia N80 and I was trying to run OpenTTD for Symbian (phone is S60v3).
OpenTTD starts, but while trying to generate any map it show massage "Aplication Closed" and stay at 0% of World Generation :/. I've installed all libraries, and I really don't know what to do. Any sugestions? Please
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

PhantomLord wrote:Hi

I have Nokia N80 and I was trying to run OpenTTD for Symbian (phone is S60v3).
OpenTTD starts, but while trying to generate any map it show massage "Aplication Closed" and stay at 0% of World Generation :/. I've installed all libraries, and I really don't know what to do. Any sugestions? Please
Hmm ... is there anything like gdb for S60v3?
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

PhantomLord wrote:I have Nokia N80 and I was trying to run OpenTTD for Symbian (phone is S60v3).
World generation process seems to be a bit quirky right now. I'd say there's about 50% chance that openttd will hang and you will have to restart the phone, as openttd will be unkillable.
So, how to deal with this? Either try 2-3 times to generate new map or prepare one on PC, upload to phone (e:\openttd\save) and load it there.

I haven't got this "Application Closed" message however, could you be more specific when does it happen? Is it displayed and then the game continues to run (but without any progress)?
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

Bilbo wrote:Hmm ... is there anything like gdb for S60v3?
http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.noki ... 811cd.html

You can do on device debugging using non-free version of carbide c++ (21 day trial is available). It mostly works, but not always.
You can also use "emulator" for debugging, but it's just an implementation of symbian os on top of windows and it has little in common with real phone hardware, its limitations and problems.
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

I only seem to get a gray screen after starting Openttd for a few seconds, then it returns to the menu. Read the instructions twice though :) Nokia N95 (Classic) with the right Symbian. Any idea?
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

bokkie wrote:I only seem to get a gray screen after starting Openttd for a few seconds, then it returns to the menu. Read the instructions twice though :) Nokia N95 (Classic) with the right Symbian. Any idea?
I would be interested in contents of e:\openttd.txt file. It doesn't get cleared between runs of game, so delete it first, then run openttd, and after it crashes download the file from phone.
PhantomLord
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PhantomLord »

Hi wolf,

Thanks for advices how to deal with maps. I'll try it after phone restart, because I tried to run TTD ;).

And for your question I give more details about "App. Close"
It appear when TTD is trying to generate terrain.
Whole message is "App. Close: 02a00a0047a8238f KERN-EXEC 3"
After I click 'ok' I see green grass in the background and also the standard TTD 'Generating world' window where is '0% complete' and it doesn't move, also there is 'World generation 1/2' and 'abort' button, which doesn't work. ;) Well...I think that is all I noticed, if you have any question - keep asking :)

I add that there is no difference if I use TerraGenesis or Original Land Generator nor different options to generate world. Everytime after clickin' 'Generate' button 'app.close' appeares and I have to restart the phone to 'shutdown' hanged application.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Sounds interesting, an S60 port was the last thing I ever expected to see out of OpenTTD. UI wise, it'll be interesting to see allongside the Nintendo DS port whether some form of standard way of dealing with small screen resolutions can be worked out.

However, I do fear that my n95 needs not another thing to chew through all of it's battery life :mrgreen:.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

New build has been uploaded, details in the first post.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I'll check it out on my n95 (Running v20 firmware) now. Good effort :).

miksuh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by miksuh »

7of9 wrote:if it use symbian6.0 as operative system...
No. S60 is not the same as Symbian 6.0. S60 (formerly known as Series 60) is Nokia's own software platform on top of Symbian. S60v3 is S60 3rd Edition on top of Symbian 9.1. Similarly S60v3 fp1 is S60 3rd Edition with featurepack 1 on top of Symbian 9.2. Nokia has licensed the S60 to other manufacturers too.
Draakon wrote:will this work on Sony Ericsson Walkman W550i? :P (i know its an ancient phone)
Sony Ericsson does not use S60, they use UIQ which is another platform on top of Symbian. S60 applications don't work on Sony Ericsson mobile phones. Ofcourse it's possible to port application/game from S60 to UIQ.
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

PhantomLord wrote:OpenTTD starts, but while trying to generate any map it show massage "Aplication Closed" and stay at 0% of World Generation :/.
I think I have found solution to this problem. Turns out that 1MB stack is too small for generate world thread needs. When stack is increased to 2MB all seems to be working. I will do additional testing and upload new build soon.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

The world generation fix sounds swell, I can't wait for it :).

Also, loading saved games from the same revision seems to crash OpenTTD, might be your stack issue again, might not be.

If you can let me know how to get useful bug reports to you (openttd.txt?), I'll be happy to give this port a thorough beating.

Now I just wish the N95 had a VGA screen instead of QVGA. But then again, theres always the Maemo port, I am looking very very intently at an N810 (next week's pay ;))

wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

Aegir wrote:If you can let me know how to get useful bug reports to you (openttd.txt?), I'll be happy to give this port a thorough beating.
Yes, contents of E:\openttd.txt (or rather just the few lines from end of it) would be helpful. In case of your savegame load failure I suspect that not enough memory is available and it should be shown in openttd.txt. Running OpenTTD with -d 9 parameter logs much more debugging information and would be prefered if bug is reproducible.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”