Patch: Upgrade airports

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

smurfix
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Patch: Upgrade airports

Post by smurfix »

Well, if a simple and obviously-useful patch like this languishes YEARS before it gets included (if ever), that kindof kills my motivation to do my own enhancements.

A shame, that.
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

smurfix wrote:Well, if a simple and obviously-useful patch like this languishes YEARS before it gets included (if ever), that kindof kills my motivation to do my own enhancements.

A shame, that.
Makes me wonder how long before an "OpenTTD Redux" fork will be formed... ?( Not that I think this would be a good thing for the community and the great game. :(
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It will continue to be included in patch packs until the point that Cirdan feels the code is ready to be submitted to the devs for review and inclusion. And then the devs will continue to pick it apart and expose its flaws until it reaches a point where they believe it will be both an improvement to OpenTTD and stable for the majority of players.

It's an intentionally difficult thing to have patches included in the main OpenTTD releases. The dev's meticulous dedication to clean code and no crashes is what's made OpenTTD one of the most popular open source projects.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

aantono wrote:Makes me wonder how long before an "OpenTTD Redux" fork will be formed... ?( Not that I think this would be a good thing for the community and the great game. :(
Want to try my fork? It includes this patch and then some more.
kamnet wrote:It will continue to be included in patch packs until the point that Cirdan feels the code is ready to be submitted to the devs for review and inclusion. And then the devs will continue to pick it apart and expose its flaws until it reaches a point where they believe it will be both an improvement to OpenTTD and stable for the majority of players.
You are joking, right? I did that almost seven years ago, I ironed out every single bug that they reported and, when they could not find any more bugs, they ignored the patch.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Perhaps it is time to pester them again, then? Now that the Close Airport patch has been implemented, I can't see any reason why they would not want to give it more serious consideration for inclusion.
hpfx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hpfx »

kamnet wrote:Perhaps it is time to pester them again, then? Now that the Close Airport patch has been implemented, I can't see any reason why they would not want to give it more serious consideration for inclusion.
No, project is like dead.
Today devs don't give any change to new devs to join the project.
Devs are probably tired to implement new feature, that we can understand. That's why they must let new devs to join !

It's like they forgot how they did join ottd themself.
original devs give them this chance before leaving.
sad...

Return to “OpenTTD Development”