Patch: Upgrade airports

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Patch: Upgrade airports

Post by Gremnon »

Yes the new patch works without a problem, on clean trunk and with all the extra patches I stuff into my build.
Thanks!
MJS
Director
Director

Post by MJS »

The error of 'another airport nearby', might it have been caused by the Noise Limit switch? That always gives (me) this error when you try to build a noisier airport than the local authority is prepared to accept.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Updates against both 0.7.0 and trunk.
Attachments
airport-upgrade-v6-0.7.0.patch
(11.36 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
airport-upgrade-v6-r15911.patch
(11.36 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Updates against both 0.7.1 and trunk.
Attachments
airport-upgrade-v6-0.7.1.patch
(11.42 KiB) Downloaded 767 times
airport-upgrade-v6-r16442.patch
(11.35 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
xZise
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xZise »

Could you update your code to the newest revision?

Sincerely
xZise
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

I am currently away from the system I usually code with, which makes updating patches a little harder.

In spite of the above, I have tried to manually bring this patch to date--see the attached file. However, I have only tested it for compilation errors, so you may come across bugs. Please report them if you do.
Attachments
airport-upgrade-v6-r17162.patch
(10.72 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Update against current trunk.
Attachments
airport-upgrade-v6-r17481.patch
(15.01 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Update against current trunk.
Attachments
airport-upgrade-v6-r18028.patch
(15.15 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

The patch requires a update after r18807 changed the way airports work (mostly the modifications of AirportFTAClass). I'm attaching a version I have been updating until r18705, in case it helps.

Edit: Corrected a wrong statement.
Attachments
upgrade_airports_r18705.diff
(14.05 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Last edited by Terkhen on 17 Jan 2010 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Terkhen wrote:The patch requires a update after r18807 changed the way airports work (mostly the removal of AirportFTAClass). I'm attaching a version I have been updating until r18705, in case it helps.
Just to avoid confusion: AirportFTAClass wasn't completely removed, only a few variables were moved out of it (like airport size).
Valentijn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Valentijn »

Great patch. Should be in trunk I think. Is there any (technical) reason why it's not?

http://bugs.openttd.org/task/1562
and
http://bugs.openttd.org/task/877
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Valentijn wrote:Is there any (technical) reason why it's not?
Yes. As the first post in this topic already says, it's most useful when coupled with a patch to close airports.

I think about a year ago I've looked at merging a close airport patch, but there where several problems. One of them was that the eisting implementation of the close airports patch is not a proper one, it works, but it uses airport flags that are meant for the statemachine to check if the airport is closed. Second problem was a discussion about the functionality: should it be implemented and if yes, only for airports or also for docks/road stops/train stations.

There is another reason not to implement the upgrade airports patch in trunk, and that is my current work on newgrf airports. There are some ideas on how to implement overbuilding airports for newgrf airports, but nothing final has been decided. I'd rather implement overbuilding airports after newgrf airports is in trunk, so avoid doing the work twice or making newgrf airporrs harder.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Yexo wrote:I think about a year ago I've looked at merging a close airport patch, but there where several problems. One of them was that the eisting implementation of the close airports patch is not a proper one, it works, but it uses airport flags that are meant for the statemachine to check if the airport is closed.
Doing it the "proper" way would require adding a new variable to the airport part of a station, which would have to be saved, and this would in turn require increasing the savegame version number. This would result in increased maintenance burden for the patch for as long as it remains off-trunk, and savegame incompatibility with vanilla trunk. As such, this is a change that I am unlikely to do unless and until it is the only remaining obstacle to merging.
Yexo wrote:Second problem was a discussion about the functionality: should it be implemented and if yes, only for airports or also for docks/road stops/train stations.
Well, since the functionality is repeatedly asked for, I would say it should. But I am probably biased on this one, since I wrote the patch because I felt a need for it.

While at it, here is another update to the airport upgrade patch. Enjoy.
Attachments
airport-upgrade-v6-r18984.patch
(15.34 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Sarvesh50
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sarvesh50 »

There arent nice people around here who want to patch this and then compile this than uploaud it so i can play?
i am a total noob in this :S

Is it possible to add some patches in the main build the user will have optoins to turn the patches on or off?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Yexo wrote:... functionality: should it be implemented and if yes, only for airports or also for docks/road stops/train stations.
I think there's one reason to allow airports only: it's relatively easy to block trains RV and ships from getting to their station by removing tracks or road and ships are slow, one can stop them. Aircrafts otoh don't queue and are quite quick, thus putting all planes into a holding pattern is tedious
cirdan wrote:Doing it the "proper" way would require adding a new variable to the airport part of a station, which would have to be saved, and this would in turn require increasing the savegame version number. This would result in increased maintenance burden for the patch for as long as it remains off-trunk, and savegame incompatibility with vanilla trunk. As such, this is a change that I am unlikely to do unless and until it is the only remaining obstacle to merging.
This in turn, of course makes the patch unlikely to be picked up when the time seems proper. Sounds like catch 22.
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

planetmaker wrote:This in turn, of course makes the patch unlikely to be picked up when the time seems proper. Sounds like catch 22.
Well, this point is not really important as long as there are other issues with the patch, such as the developers' still wondering whether it should also apply to other station types (see your point above).

In any case, I do not care much about whether the patch is merged into trunk or not. I keep it up to date for my own personal use, and post it here for others' benefit. In fact, I have assumed that there is not much interest in the patch, since the last time a developer made a post in the flyspray task was a year and a half ago.
Attachments
airport-upgrade-v6-r19171.patch
(12.68 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Vaulter
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vaulter »

silly try to upgrade the patch to 1.0.0-RC1
please, check it very well
Attachments
airport_upgrade_RC1.patch
(13.45 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Sarvesh50
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sarvesh50 »

Could somebody patch this too the last version and upload it for me that would be be very nice.
:bow:
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

There you go.
Attachments
airport-upgrade-v6-r19375.patch
(12.5 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

Updates against 1.0.0 and current trunk.
Attachments
airport-upgrade-v6-1.0.0.patch
(14.78 KiB) Downloaded 568 times
airport-upgrade-v6-r19740.patch
(12.54 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

Return to “OpenTTD Development”