Speed limits for Road vehicles

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Limit speed outside the towns like in real life?

Poll ended at 21 Dec 2007 17:34

Yes
43%
No
39%
I don't care
4%
Other, I'll write to topic
13%

Total votes: 23

SergeS
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Speed limits for Road vehicles

Post by SergeS »

Bilbo: not by country , but by constuction of track ... limit 160 km/h is maximal in Czech republic - that mean that level croassing have actualy no limit ... Pendolino have limit 160 km/h or lower for all tracks - excepting test mode - when it can go maximally 230 km/h - but empty or on one or two places in CR where is limit as far as i know 220 km/h for Pendolino ;-)
Sir A. Boey
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sir A. Boey »

Trainskier1406 wrote:Is there a chance trains could also be speed limited like in real life? This would be a significant improvement in the realism side of things.
Train speed limit in towns? If I'm not mistaken than there's no such thing in Belgium...
Like I said I could be mistaken, I take the train everyday to work for about 125km
and I pass several big and several small cities and I really don't think that trains
slow down in cities [there's a global speed limit on the tracks though], I even know a level-crossing in Belgium in a city where the trains
pass at their max speed... I guess it all depends from country to country.
I for one would love this patch because I never liked that coaches/trucks to drive through
my villages at 128km/h where in real life (here in Belgium) we have a speed limit of 50km/h
in town centers and where there's a school or playground there's a 30km/h speed limit.

But I agree to make this a patch option so everyone can decide for them selfs wheiter to
use this feature or not...

As for the point of profit I really don't think this would be a great influence, cause in my opinion
it's far to easy to make a profit in this game, but this doesn't botters me I LOVE this game...
_____________# If you believe in it, you can achieve it" # ____________
__________________# Check out My Closed Platform #___________________
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

this patch is to limit road vehicle speeds, and it does. so if you want to limit train speed, make another patch for that
Sir A. Boey
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sir A. Boey »

pavel1269 wrote:this patch is to limit road vehicle speeds, and it does. so if you want to limit train speed, make another patch for that
I can't agree more with you... Love this patch
_____________# If you believe in it, you can achieve it" # ____________
__________________# Check out My Closed Platform #___________________
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

SergeS wrote:Bilbo: not by country , but by constuction of track ... limit 160 km/h is maximal in Czech republic - that mean that level croassing have actualy no limit ... Pendolino have limit 160 km/h or lower for all tracks - excepting test mode - when it can go maximally 230 km/h - but empty or on one or two places in CR where is limit as far as i know 220 km/h for Pendolino ;-)
And construction of the track includes absence or presence of level crossings (amongst other things like quality of the switches, radius of turns, signaling system, etc ... ). I heard that the crossings are the main reason why the speed limit is only 160 km/h on the track (singaling system may be upgraded perhaps quite easily, building a bridge/tunnel to avoid level crossing is perhaps not so easy.)
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Hmm, I wrote a patch to implement this over a year ago. Somehow, it never made it from my hard disk to the Internet, though. Ah well, it seems somebody else has done it now, too, and actually managed to upload it. ;)
XoIN
Engineer
Engineer

Post by XoIN »

can some one toss the source to my head... cant get those darn svn to work... :roll:
andrewas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by andrewas »

Go here:
http://hg.openttd.org:8000/svn/trunk.hg/summary

And hit the .gz2, .zip or .gz link at the top, according to your preference.
fabca2
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fabca2 »

pavel1269 wrote: I made a check if any house is present in 5x5(2tiles to each directory from vehicle) from vehicle position. And too if it's on "city land".
Hum, I really love this concept of speed limit, but I have a remark about town detection...
I think checking for house is not a good idea (speed limit is not the same "down town" and in the suburb).
I think there is something easier to check...
did you already notified there is a CIRCLE OF TREES that grow up with town. I think we can limit speed inside this circle. and as town is growing the circle is growing too.

For thoses who never notified this strange circle, take a look at this screenchot I found in the forum (I'm at work, no ottd here)
http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=24242
This screenshot was not made to demonstrate this circle, but you can look at town Oberstadt, the circle start at 2nd bridge (south)
you can see such a circle also at uberstadt town too...

I really think it's a better idea than checking for any house around vehicule.
Please consider to evaluate my suggestion and tell me what you think about it,
Thank you,
Best Regards.

edit: typo
Last edited by fabca2 on 07 Jan 2008 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

that's not a 'strange circle of trees' it's one of the city zones.

there are four zones in a city:
zone 1: with plain roads
zone 2: with city roads (and no decoration)
zone 3: with city roads and trees
zone 4: with city roads and street lighting.

cities start off only as the first zone, then as a city grows larger, zones move outwards in a circle from the center tile (the tile beneath the town name). the zones not only define what roads look like, but also which building can be built there (the inner zone builds only large buildings, the outer zone only small buildings).

theoretically it should be possible to trace in what zone a vehicle is moving. It's certainly a much more elegant solution than scanning 25 tiles around the vehicle.
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

i tryed that, but there is problem ... last circle is just what i use atm with that 5x5 tile check, here can spawn houses too i think ... next one is wher small houses spawn, if i use this one, cars will slow down sooooooo faaaaaaar before big town, next one is trees and thats almost town centre ... and then centre, yeah, there is like 7 or 6 circles, maybye more, but noone is good choise for this :? or you want to stop car like 15tiles from town or just already in city?
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

in a big city, the 'tree' zone is pretty far out from the center. I don't know if that would work well with a speed limit. you try releasing a version that does that and see if people like it ;)
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

New version, see first post. I will create requested version in near future ;) i hope.
t0mcioo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by t0mcioo »

my 2c:
maybe possible to detect by zones (circle of trees) in that way is better:
if 3 titles ahead are zone 3 or 4 we're restricting speed, if not (or less than 3) we are going on full speed (limited by road type : oneway, twoway, etc)
also we can add separate limit for zone 3 and zone 4 (urban) and give separate options for one way, two ways
So, we can set up limits like ie:
zone 4 - 30kph (one and both ways)
zone 3 - 50kph(one and both ways)
both ways (out of city) - 90 kph
one way (out of city) - 130 kph
or some one else can set up like this (imo me)

zone 4 - 30kph (one and both ways)
zone 3 - 70kph (one way) / 50kph (twoway)
both ways (out of city) - 90 kph
one way (out of city) - n/a

Also if we are building highway in city (two next to each other one way roads) speed limit in city should not applays, or we can add another stich - highway.

Edit: typos.
Last edited by t0mcioo on 27 Feb 2008 04:54, edited 1 time in total.
~/ ):( gallery
"...sometimes the sound of goodbye is louder than any drum beat..."
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Before even talking about road_veh speed limits there should be a realistic acceleration/hill climbing done for them done.
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

It should be raised over time I think.
Hmm, what should I put here...
zypa
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by zypa »

bug speed on bridges

See attached image.

Vehicles driving from A to B do not have any speedlimit. The do not change the speed on the bridge.
Vehicles from B to a DO have a speed limit. They drive 49km/h on the whole bridge.

I guess the speed limit is only calculated once per bridge.
It's not a real bug. However, maybe you want to fix it ;)

By the way: Thanks for this really cool - and realistic - patch!
Attachments
speedlimit on bridges.png
speedlimit on bridges.png (93.34 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
Hairysteed
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hairysteed »

What if speed limits inside/outside towns were determined by whether it's a road that has a concrete sidewalk? (the urban road tiles) Then again, it shouldn't affect freeways
Gedemon
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gedemon »

Korenn wrote:that's not a 'strange circle of trees' it's one of the city zones.

there are four zones in a city:
zone 1: with plain roads
zone 2: with city roads (and no decoration)
zone 3: with city roads and trees
zone 4: with city roads and street lighting.

cities start off only as the first zone, then as a city grows larger, zones move outwards in a circle from the center tile (the tile beneath the town name). the zones not only define what roads look like, but also which building can be built there (the inner zone builds only large buildings, the outer zone only small buildings).

theoretically it should be possible to trace in what zone a vehicle is moving. It's certainly a much more elegant solution than scanning 25 tiles around the vehicle.
I've made an update to this patch based on this idea.

Now the start of town's speed limitation is paved road.

I've not find a way to test if a vehicle is in a town from a bridge, but else I've added an option to set max speed on bridge or in tunnel (anywhere) :O

edit : If you don't use this last option, speed limit on bridge will now be the bridge limit itself, even in town. You want highway in town ? -> build long bridges :idea:
Attachments
r12661_limit_veh_speed.patch
Speed limits for Road vehicles r12661
(11.43 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Gedemon
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Gedemon »

update to r17420.

by the way, there's a (small) pathfinding penalty for two way roads so that vehicles prefers to use highways.
Attachments
r17420_limit_rv_speed.patch
(15.58 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

Return to “OpenTTD Development”