Patches, what to do with them? (New Policy November 2007)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Patches, what to do with them? (New Policy November 2007)

Post by TrueBrain »

Dear Patch Developers,

From today, we will be having a test to see if we can improve the way patches are handled. Currently you need to send them to FlySpray, but this isn't really useful for the developers. You can't see to which patches you replied, if the user replied back, what the status is of any given patch, and so on, and so on. For that reason we have been looking for an alternative.

By looking how other software handles patches, we found a way that might just do the trick for us: a simple maillist. So, from today, we urge you all to send in your patches to the maillist created for this job: patch@openttd.org. For more information about the list, please check:

http://mailman.openttd.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/patch

Or read the text at http://www.openttd.org/dev.php.

Please remember to sign up for the maillist first, before sending in patches.
Because the maillist is mail-based (dah), it should be much easier for us, developers, to reply (faster) to your patches, and to track what is going on. Only time will tell if it really is useful, but we can always try :)

If you have any questions or suggestions regarding this matter, feel free to ask.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Patches, what to do with them? (New Policy November 2007)

Post by Michi_cc »

For all people using Thunderbird, there's a neat little extension that makes reading diff mails a lot nicer. It colours the diffs and allows to view them as unified, context or side-by-side diffs.

Homepage is http://colorediffs.mozdev.org/.

-- Michael Lutz
-- Michael Lutz
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

As of today, the maillist closes again, and all patches should be posted at FlySpray again. This for the simple reason that I am retiring from OpenTTD, and no other developer currently had the time to handle the volume passing by on the maillist.

I have to say personally I liked the maillist, as it allowed me to reply to things much faster and gave a better overview. Nevertheless, without a developer behind it replying to all the emails, it is useless. So, thank you all for your effort, and I hope FlySpray isn't that bad after all ;)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

TrueLight wrote:From today, we will be having a test to see if we can improve the way patches are handled. Currently you need to send them to FlySpray, but this isn't really useful for the developers. You can't see to which patches you replied, if the user replied back, what the status is of any given patch, and so on, and so on. For that reason we have been looking for an alternative.
Hmm ... the mailing list is now closed ... perhaps modifying the flyspray to show these things would help?
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”