Patch: New passenger destinations

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eisenbaehr
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Patch: New passenger destinations

Post by Eisenbaehr »

can I use this (or any) patch on another build than the one mentioned in the patch name?
Try it ;)
as
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by as »

Win32 binary for people who can't compile it themselves for whatever reason.
Attachments
paxdest_r11754.zip
(2.99 MiB) Downloaded 295 times
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

squishycube wrote:Thank you so much for this patch. I converted to OpenTTD recently (mainly because I wanted to play multi with a friend) but I had doubts whether I wanted to stay. But discovering this section of the forums where I can download all kinds of fixes for things I missed from TTDPatch and lots more, like this great patch. Thank you.

I have one question, can I use this (or any) patch on another build than the one mentioned in the patch name?
You can always try, but as the patch is made against that version, you can be sure that version works. If you have a version not too different (like 11730 instead of 11754, big chance it will work.
squishycube
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by squishycube »

Allright, everything seems to be like I thought :-)
Do I understand it correctly that it will keep working if nothing the patch changes or depends on is different in the two builds? So if a patch changes something minor to a very established feature it might keep working for a long time?

And if it doesn't work, how can I expect OpenTTD to fail? Random crashes after years of play, or not starting at all or anything in between?
I heard the stories that they tell of how they labored for this company which sold it's soul to hell

It's my alter ego in my avatar, not me!
sickie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sickie »

Hi squishycube. I'd say it wouldn't even compile with a mismatching version. But I could be wrong.
One other thing: Your avatar is the best avatar I have ever seen.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

squishycube wrote:Allright, everything seems to be like I thought :-)
Do I understand it correctly that it will keep working if nothing the patch changes or depends on is different in the two builds? So if a patch changes something minor to a very established feature it might keep working for a long time?
Yes
squishycube wrote:And if it doesn't work, how can I expect OpenTTD to fail? Random crashes after years of play, or not starting at all or anything in between?
Any of: compilation failures, failures to start, failures after days, failures after weeks/years, failures that 'appear' random, the patch not working at all, other stuff not working as it is supposed to be, thrashing of your operating system.
squishycube
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by squishycube »

All right, thanks for your answers.
@Sickie: thanks, I try :-) FYI, I drew my avatar in M$ Paint and animated it with flash.
I heard the stories that they tell of how they labored for this company which sold it's soul to hell

It's my alter ego in my avatar, not me!
Youri219
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Youri219 »

squishycube wrote:I have one question, can I use this (or any) patch on another build than the one mentioned in the patch name?
If the relevant code in trunk has not changed you can. Just try BuildOTTD (or other way to compile) and see what happens.
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

ive been using this pach for a while now and i like the way it works,
but for some reason it takes a very long time for a station to generaate any passengers.

a station with the patch off that would gernerate mabie 300 passengers in a few minutes often struggles to generate 10 passengers in the same time.

also a good idea would be to show destinations in demand that are not yet served/not connected so that you can guage wether to build a station there in the first place.

mabie somthing on the local authority window.

destiations in demand but not served
cityX x ppm
cityy y ppm
cityz z ppm
etc.
Eisenbaehr
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Eisenbaehr »

a station with the patch off that would gernerate mabie 300 passengers in a few minutes often
The passengers get off trains and wait for other trains. They change. Because of this many passengers are "produced" in short time.
This patch has some feature which user must understand first :)

As second the patch needs some time to understand which connection exists. A good overview offers the new function "pax Network" on the general map.
If the patch has found a connection then it draws a line between all stations which are networked.

I hope this is understandable :|
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

It plays again nicely, but maybe I've found a bug (or at least: unintended behavior ;)). Please note that this savegame was created with 2 revisions of the paxdestpatch ago, and loaded again in the latest version. Maybe this has something to do with it.

Look at the screenshots: many people want to go from Bobenvliet to Bobenvliet Zuid, Centraal or Oost. I've changed these routes from bus-only to tram-only (screenshot 2). The problem is, people don't change from the old route to the new route. At first I thought that this was just a matter of time (waiting a few months most of the time solves 'oddities' with this patch), but even after 4 years people don't go with the tram. Savegame (tram-only) also attached.
Attachments
Veendam Transport, 1 Mrt 1957.png
Screenie 1
(294.85 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
Veendam Transport, 13 Jan 1962.png
Screenie 2
(321.37 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Veendam Transport, 15 Jan 1962.sav
(345.28 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

Sorry to say that, but I don't think I'll be able to contribute a lot to this patch until about April. I just have too many other things to do.
The guy on the picture is not me, it's Alonso.
Reto
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Reto »

I've updated the patch to the latest revision. It compiles, it runs, but I can't guarantee anything further :).

Reto
Attachments
passenger-dest-11810.patch
(116.95 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
CSL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CSL »

Reto wrote:I've updated the patch to the latest revision. It compiles, it runs, but I can't guarantee anything further :).

Reto
Anyone can post a binary for this?
Many thanks!
fjb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by fjb »

CSL wrote: Anyone can post a binary for this?
Many thanks!
Ofcourse!
Attachments
openttd.zip
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 186 times
Regards
Frank
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

I just had an idea on how to solve some problems that led to the paxdest patch in a much simpler way. So how about that:

- Stations not only generate a fixed (by houses near them, rating ... just as before) amount of passengers per tick, but also consume only the same (or a similar) fixed amount. So if you dump 1000 passengers in a small village they won't just disappear but instead patiently wait until they are picked up again (possibly by the same vehicle going to the next stop).
- Patience is limited. Passengers don't actually disappear at the time they are unloaded but at each tick, according to the consumption capacity of the station. This is easy to implement and realistic enough.
- In order to avoid stations consuming their own passengers, locally generated passengers get a "local flag". As soon as they travel to a different place, the flag is cleared. This means round trips are allowed, but I don't care. And round trips aren't the most unrealistic thing, anyway.
- As an additional optional measure capacities for stations could be introduced. A single bus stop can hold 20 passengers, a rail station tile perhaps 40, an airport tile maybe 100. If the station is full, no more passengers can be unloaded or generated there.

At least the first two points should be easy to implement and enable fairly realistic Metro-Systems, passengers hubs and vehicles passing through places of different sizes. I don't have the time to code this ATM, but I thought I should share this idea.
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

That would solve some of the unrealistic behavior, but IMO is transporting passengers a LOT more fun when they've got destinations to take care of. I like it when I make a network and see that some extra lines are needed to bring passengers from X to Y. If the choice is between old behavior and your proposition it's clearly better, but if it's possible to get paxdest into trunk that would be preferable.

On the current state of the patch: I have had only 1 crash in the last 2 games I played (at least 40 years each), which is a lot less than before. Replacing busses with trams did work this time (passengers didn't keep waiting for the bus but took the tram instead). The only odd behavior I see is that when you add a stop to an existing route, all passengers get unloaded the first time that station is reached.
Can't comment on desyncs in multiplayer though, haven't tried that.

Also, the binary provided a few posts ago didn't work for me on WinXP so here's a new build:
Attachments
trunk_r11810_passenger-dest-11810.patch_23-1-2008_18-07-13.rar
(2.42 MiB) Downloaded 195 times
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

The current visible state of the patch is one thing. The internal state is another ... If you look at the code for long enough, you'll realize that there is quite some nontrivial work left before this can be merged into trunk. The idea I proposed, however would be far less work, consist of much less code and wouldn't need to change the save game format (at least not as dramatically). But it's up to you now ... I'll show up in April again and depending on what has been done by then, I'll take one route or the other.
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

fonso wrote:The current visible state of the patch is one thing. The internal state is another ... If you look at the code for long enough, you'll realize that there is quite some nontrivial work left before this can be merged into trunk. The idea I proposed, however would be far less work, consist of much less code and wouldn't need to change the save game format (at least not as dramatically). But it's up to you now ... I'll show up in April again and depending on what has been done by then, I'll take one route or the other.
Hehe, can't comment on that (wasn't my intention to do it as well). I do see your point, which is why I said that it's better (a lot actually!) than 'nothing'. I didn't want to sound negative about your idea, since a somewhat similar system works quite well with industries. Well, we'll have to see what the future brings...
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

have anyone tried this patch in multiplayer?
Member of the
ImageImage

Return to “OpenTTD Development”