Updated extra-large-maps patch, version 12 (for r23992)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

scififan
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Updated extra-large-maps patch, version 12 (for r20829)

Post by scififan »

willyDK wrote:Hello.
I have tried to compile the file. But had no success with it.
Tried to use TortoiseSVN.
Is the file not downloadable anywhere after it is compiler?
And why are all these patch files. Why not just lie with downloadable files that can be used by novices in computer programming?
Willy
The problem is that the compiled file is too big to simply post it to the forum, so you would need a separate file repository to upload the file and link to it. And you would have to post one version for x86 and one for x64, which doubles the amount of space required.
willyDK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by willyDK »

Many thanks for the reply Scififan.
It gives me an understanding of the problem. But unfortunately not a solution.
If the problem is just the size of the files, it may be a well be solution to lie them on a ftp server.
Or, for example. allow for sending them via email.
But of course I only have this problem, because I'm not familiar enough with computers and have difficulty getting it.
Must just wait and see if there is made a place in the future where the files can be downloaded as ordinary files.
willyDK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by willyDK »

Is not there a simpler compiler than TortoiseSVN.
A compiler which is easier to use for novices?
Willy
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

willyDK wrote:Is not there a simpler compiler than TortoiseSVN.
A compiler which is easier to use for novices?
Willy
Compiling by its very nature isn't for novices. Its not something which can be simplified, if you want to do it, you'll have to learn.
scififan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by scififan »

Leanden wrote:Compiling by its very nature isn't for novices. Its not something which can be simplified, if you want to do it, you'll have to learn.
That is true, but I think that the instructions found at http://wiki.openttd.org/Microsoft_Visua ... s_Editions allows also the not-so-advanced users to give it a shot. I myself had no idea of how to compile a windows application from source before this article (although, I had considerable experience with the use of SVN and patches).
willyDK
Engineer
Engineer

Post by willyDK »

Thanks for the link. I will study.
I'm a little confused.
On the internet I have played "Europe" which is made of "Myfineshrine".
I can play tracks "offline".
But I try to open "scenario extra_large_maps" I get errors.
It is of course because I can not compilers map-1M-20829th
But I do not understand that I can play extra large maps on the Internet and play my saved tracks offline.
But not open scenario.

Do you know if I can use the "day-length-path" along with extra-large-map?
Or if I can regulate the day length in extra-large-map?
scififan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by scififan »

The extra large maps patch has nothing to do with the daylength patch - you can try to apply both patches (in any order) and the try to compile.

No idea on your problem with opening scenarios, though.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Yexo wrote:Same as why a lot of other patches and patch-packs disappear: the original author disappears or loses interest.
True. But sometimes the author reappears, even after a long delay :)

Well, I managed to rebase the patch to current git (r23992) and I attached the updated patch to first post of this thread :)
And yes, you're missing something. The limiting factor is not memory but CPU time. While CPUs do get a bit faster, they mostly get more cores which OpenTTD can't make use of.
The most demanding part of calculation at very large map sizes (like 8k x 8k) is the tile loop (at least when the map is still quite empty), so perhaps doing just the tileloop part using some sort of multithreading may help (though from what I know about OpenTTD internals and interaction between tileloop and newGRF's, even just this one won't be easy).

Ok, once you fill the large map with many many trains (like thousands...), then those trains may also consume some large part of CPU time ...
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
IronMan37
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Updated extra-large-maps patch, version 12 (for r23992)

Post by IronMan37 »

where do I have to put that patch so it works?
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

IronMan37 wrote:where do I have to put that patch so it works?
http://wiki.openttd.org/Patches
Putting a patch file in some directory on your computer will not work.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
IronMan37
Engineer
Engineer

Post by IronMan37 »

Supercheese wrote:
IronMan37 wrote:where do I have to put that patch so it works?
http://wiki.openttd.org/Patches
Putting a patch file in some directory on your computer will not work.

chester00
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chester00 »

Hey

i edited the source because i want to create maps with 16384^2. That was not a problem, but i cannot save the game. That is the message:

Code: Select all

Assertion failed at line 824 of ..\src\saveload\saveload.cpp: length < (1 << 28)
Is there an easy way to eliminate this crash?
Attachments
crash.txt
(16.73 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

chester00 wrote:Hey

i edited the source because i want to create maps with 16384^2. That was not a problem, but i cannot save the game. That is the message:

Assertion failed at line 824 of ..\src\saveload\saveload.cpp: length < (1 << 28)
I havent used this in a while so I dont know how things are going now, but are you running a 64-bit OS? 32-bit OS can't handle anything bigger then 8192^2
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
chester00
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chester00 »

NekoMaster wrote:

I havent used this in a while so I dont know how things are going now, but are you running a 64-bit OS? 32-bit OS can't handle anything bigger then 8192^2
Yeah, i´m using win 7 64bit. The game is running in the right way, there is just this saving-problem
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

chester00 wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:

Yeah, i´m using win 7 64bit. The game is running in the right way, there is just this saving-problem
Seems that largest chunk of data that can be saved is about 268435455 (2^28 -1) bytes, and 16384^2 is 268435456 tiles (2^28), so saving any part of the tile array (1 byte per tile) will hit the limit.

I guess that is the limitation of savegame format and can't be overcome without breaking compatibility.
I've not encountered this earlier mainly because I had not ~ 5 GB RAM needed to play at these sizes.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
chester00
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chester00 »

Bilbo wrote:
Seems that largest chunk of data that can be saved is about 268435455 (2^28 -1) bytes, and 16384^2 is 268435456 tiles (2^28), so saving any part of the tile array (1 byte per tile) will hit the limit.

I guess that is the limitation of savegame format and can't be overcome without breaking compatibility.
I've not encountered this earlier mainly because I had not ~ 5 GB RAM needed to play at these sizes.
Hey, thanks for your answer.

One more question: Is there an easy way to change savegame format?
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

There is a bug in the patch, which was created in a trunk at r24132. Hotfix is included in this post.

Also note, that I included every possible value (32-bit wise), but there are definitely more values than needed.
Attachments
large_map_hotfix_r24599.patch
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
huub007
Engineer
Engineer

Post by huub007 »

Could anyone please upload a compiled version that works with world airliners set (works with standard openttd 0.7.0 or higer)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

maybe you should try one of the patchpacks that are floating around, those are usually offered as compiled version.
huub007
Engineer
Engineer

Post by huub007 »

Eddi wrote:maybe you should try one of the patchpacks that are floating around, those are usually offered as compiled version.
already did try, but they have same problem, or other problems, so please anyone?

Return to “OpenTTD Development”