Station Add Ons

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

well I thought about that, but remembered the taxis are usually already waiting at a taxi rank.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

me too...
And there are no "waiting rooms" for taxis. You call for it and taxi is at the right place in 5 minutes... Or you chatch taxi on the street.
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stumo »

I see your point, but at the moment it looks just like a strip of road, and it could easily get hidden behind other buildings or parts of the station.

I'm not sure. I'll put up an exe here using this graphic some time tomorrow. Just got back from a night out, I need sleep!
Atlantis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Atlantis »

Well taxi ranks do have a small office (where d'you think you ring to order one? :p) so you could have one of them....

EDIT: Kinda like this. In England they're usually Portacabins, so that's what i done (NB: You'll have to do your own, cos i aint used TTD colours.)
Attachments
taxi_101atl.png (1.08 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

They have one office somewhere in the city and it is why all taxi man has CB-radio and they hear from their office "go to Tycoon Street 15 in 5 minutes!" and they go there... :P

So this building could be restaurant or small shop.
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Latest Version

Post by Stumo »

Right. Here's the latest version, with graphics of my own invention. Diff is against 1047

Known bugs:
- No attempt made to do save/load
- The taxi rank doesn't change what a station accepts; however it does mean extra passengers come to the station.

I think everything else works, so it should now be useable. It is in the patches menu under "stations"

Swapping whether the patch is on or not during game play is likely to cause interesting behaviour if the Build Road window is showing.

If you build a taxi rank with the patch on, then turn the patch off the taxi rank keeps working - all that happens is you can't build new ones. Hopefully this is reasonable.

Don't forget to remove opntitle.dat

Now I'm sure there are bugs in this, find them for me!
Attachments
taxi_patch_v3.zip
Version 3 of the patch.
(417.08 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Any possiblity to code it into OTTD? Or it will be a patch all the time?
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stumo »

That depends on the devs. I'd like them to, because it means I won't have to keep updating the code as the svn version changes ;)

I guess the standard caveats apply: they have to be satisfied it's not buggy for starters. As I said, I haven't tried saveing/loading games and there's a couple of other things that probably need to be fixed before it goes in.

Have you had a chance to test it on a proper game? Did it make a difference? My few tests have suggested it makes some difference but not as much as I expected; possibly there's a bug in there somewhere...
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

well, the graphics don't line up with the road properly, and they look a bit toylandy.

Bugwise, there aren't any Ive encountered, Apart from being able to build them on 'ghost stations' (when the station has gone, but the grey name is still present)
MeusH wrote: So this building could be restaurant or small shop.
Well, since they need to be built next to a passenger place anyway, we can assume there are any Restaurants or shops in the passenger terminal anyway, and since this is a station add-on thread anyway, we could rig it to actually build shops and food places next to it anyway! This Is the reason I didn't add any buildings anyway, and its hard to write taxi small enough and diagonal, to read. The player already knows they are for taxis anyway!
Last edited by Born Acorn on 14 Dec 2004 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stumo »

I hadn't spotted that they didn't line up properly - which directions?

I'd use your graphics if you can come up with a good way of giving them some height and getting the player colour in.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I can simply recode the .nfo file so they don't need height, Ill also reline it in player colour.
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stumo »

I'm not sure what you mean about recoding the nfo.

At the moment, the grf file contains one graphic for the taxi rank and another for the sign which is displayed on top - if you make that completely invisible to test your stuff, I'll remove the code for the sign once that's done.

Alternatively if you want a building that'll go invisible, send me a graphic and a screenshot of where you want it placed and I'll sort out the code.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

well heres a simple rehash.

the walls can be made to be the invisible bits, so when/if there are taxis that move around at random, they wion't go on top of the wall upon entering
Attachments
taxi2.PNG
taxi2.PNG (2.68 KiB) Viewed 3292 times
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stumo »

Cheers; I'll code it in when I get the chance (not at home at the moment)

How are you finding the patch in general? No problems I hope?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

apart from the ghost stations thing, nothing as of yet :wink:
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stumo »

Ghost stations?
Stumo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Stumo »

Note for myself so I don't forget (but feel free to comment): Celestar suggested
1) Taxi icon added to station name
2) An extra part of the station gui listing the improvements present.

I'd also like to add to 2) something that would show which squares the taxi rank was allowing to access the station; at the moment that's somewhat difficult, but is a long term plan.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

ghost stations as in when you delete a station, the name remains behind. You can still build it then
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

how do I install the patch???

Overwrite everything?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

taxi patch and openttd.exe in the openttd folder, grf in the data, english.lng in the lang folder

and delete opntitle.dat in the data folder

Return to “OpenTTD Development”