OpenTTD - Special deliveries (Drugs, Alcohol, Cigarrets...)

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

davil96
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD - Special deliveries (Drugs, Alcohol, Cigarrets...)

Post by davil96 »

Hello dear OpenTTD-Community,

imagine a time where corruption and drugs where big things like in the serie 'Boardwalk Empire'. You are the head of a criminal organisation and have to transport goods and let your mans sell it in town.

Your task is to deliver goods to workplaces and towns and always bring resources to your productionplaces in order to make the 'big money'.

For the modders of openTTD, there are several things to impletend:

'special delivieries' like
  • drugs(heroin, marijuana, crystal, etc.)
  • alcohol
  • cigs
  • black money
  • illegal immigrants (slaves)
  • weapons(!)
  • and so on.
To bring a good game atmosphere and a good connection to these added goods there should be new buildings aswell, like:
  • bars, saloons
  • raffinaries(alcohol, drugs, etc.)
  • weapon factories (should be small and inconspicuous and look like little occupied houses in the landscape, because the most weapons were made in the basement and no one should have a clue whats happening in the house..)
  • drug plantations
  • cig factories
  • slave houses ( for slaves, should look abandoned)
  • maybe a little port for the illegal immigrants when arriving from the sea.
The black money could be deliverd to the bank as well.

Everyone who can port this idea to a mod is free to do it.
You don't need any permissions for it.
kamnet

Re: OpenTTD - Special deliveries (Drugs, Alcohol, Cigarrets.

Post by kamnet »

Why not yourself? It sounds like you've got a great idea, and this could easily be implemented as a NewGRF set that replaces industries and town buildings. Learning how to draw new sprites or to develop the code may not be simple, but it's not difficult to study and practice.
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

I'm not sure if illegal drugs, slavery and weapons are suitable for OpenTTD :lol:
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

It may not be suitable for OpenTTD developers to work on, but individuals are certainly free to develop anything they want.
davil96
Engineer
Engineer

Post by davil96 »

kamnet wrote:Why not yourself? It sounds like you've got a great idea, and this could easily be implemented as a NewGRF set that replaces industries and town buildings. Learning how to draw new sprites or to develop the code may not be simple, but it's not difficult to study and practice.
Unfortunately, i don't have time and desire to do it myself :P
UseYourIllusion wrote:I'm not sure if illegal drugs, slavery and weapons are suitable for OpenTTD :lol:
It is ! :D
I mean you have to transport resources and products to your bars, weapon houses, slave houses and so on ^^
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

While I indeed can imagine certain historic or futuristic scenarios, it depends on how you interpret item #3: https://secure.openttd.org/wiki/Objectives
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

davil96 wrote:
kamnet wrote:Why not yourself? It sounds like you've got a great idea, and this could easily be implemented as a NewGRF set that replaces industries and town buildings. Learning how to draw new sprites or to develop the code may not be simple, but it's not difficult to study and practice.
Unfortunately, i don't have time and desire to do it myself :P
Then it will likely never become a reality. Most people who can code or draw are tied up with their own projects to take up somebody else's cause. However, if you're willing to provide the initiative to do some of the groundwork, such as drawing the sprites or doing the code, it's much more likely that somebody else who has a few minutes of spare time will volunteer to help your project along.
davil96
Engineer
Engineer

Post by davil96 »

@kamnet So tell me what the suggestionarea is for.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

we've been wondering that for years.

the most convincing theory i heard was that it's a honeypot for things that the developers don't want to read, so it's easier to ignore. :)
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Sounds like a fun one :)

Maybe someone will take the bait ;)
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

davil96 wrote:@kamnet So tell me what the suggestionarea is for.
A suggestion is just what it says it is, it's an initial stage. With that said, the developers are not going to spend time creating deviations from the standard OpenTTD game and mechanics unless it brings a significant improvement to gameplay. Since your suggestion can be entirely fulfilled via independent NewGRF development, that's the best way to go, and the tools and code to do that is free, open, and available to anybody who is willing to put in some time and effort. Projects like this are typically more likely to succeed when the person who suggests them takes a significant role in helping to develop them. We have forums where you can ask questions and get answers from experienced players, developers, coders and artists, and the more active you are, the more you work on it, the more likely others will be to help. And it's not unusual to see a project that starts with one person blossom to a team effort with more people jumping on-board who can help to expand and polish what you've started.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

planetmaker wrote:While I indeed can imagine certain historic or futuristic scenarios, it depends on how you interpret item #3: https://secure.openttd.org/wiki/Objectives
I remember a discussion about someone suggesting making racial segregation possible in vehicles, IIRC separate black/white places or refitting to more places for "lower" races or even allowing cattle cars and boxcars to be reffitted to an extremely high capacity of people - no further comment on that suggestion is needed.

As I see it, this drugs/alcohol/slaves/... stuff should be treated with the same "respect", no offense to anybody who wishes to make "realistic" scenarios.

Yes, most of us are adults who know about this but we all have to remember that there are thousands and thousands of kids who play this game too.

Personally, if I were an OTTD developer, I wouldn't even allow making a non-trunk GRF for these things and I'd apply the rule #3 VERY strictly. My penny... if it's worth anything.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Eddi wrote:we've been wondering that for years.

the most convincing theory i heard was that it's a honeypot for things that the developers don't want to read, so it's easier to ignore. :)
Note that direct implementation is not the only thing that developers may do. Years of suggesting "make citybuilder possible in trunk" (I remember posting this suggestion or even some really bad patch) are probably in part reason for making Game Scripts possible.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

And here i was thinking the developers did everything in their power to destroy citybuilder communities :p

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”