Subsidy Knockout

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

elleshar
Engineer
Engineer

Subsidy Knockout

Post by elleshar »

This'd be mainly for online play, but would add a nice twist to the game, if say the active players were forced to get one subsidy per year, or durations to be customizable, but there would only be one less subsidy per active players, therefore should any payer be inactive they would most likely be eliminated at the end of the subsidy turn.

Perhaps to make things easier all subsidies should be issued on the same date and for the same duration, with only offers included or retracted subsidies removed as per player numbers.

Basically its musical chairs :) :shock:

Of course all players could try to get all subsidies, which would also make this kind of a death-match, since its last active player standing.
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Subsidy Knockout

Post by oberhümer »

A game script might be able to do that (where has the documentation gone anyway? https://secure.openttd.org/nogo/ -> 404).
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Have a look at NoCarGoal and/or SiliconValley game scripts

As for the docs, http://nogo.openttd.org/api/ works for me, why are you using https at a weird hostname?
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Aphid
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aphid »

You know, this sounds like a fun idea. Although 'subsidies'? I think we can be more original...

I'm thinking along the lines of

- A script that lets the user define some time interval T, a startup time S, as well as a bitmask for which goals to include.

After letting everyone build up for a couple years (S years in more specific terms), the fun begins.
Every T years, the script comes up with a new 'random' goal, awarding a certain amount of points to companies based on relative performance at the end of the interval. Each new goal awarding more points than the last. The bitmask allows the user to select which goals he wants in the game. Of course the script will check for viability as well. In principle the bitmask can even be made changeable in-game. Of course T and S cannot.

Then, at the end of each k'th interval a company is eliminated, with k some integer (1, 2, 3, etc.). Alternatively the game is played for K intervals.

I think I'm going to have some fun with this :wink:
elleshar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elleshar »

Good stuff then :)

However without knowing about how to code stuff, the subsidy route could perhaps also be included as an optional toggle.
elleshar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by elleshar »

So its this now the busy bees script?
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Busy Bee only gives you assignments to do, Bee Reward gives you some money if you complete a goal.

Neither script forces the player into anything though.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”