Pre-Civil Rights Bus Law?

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

spellingmistake
Engineer
Engineer

Pre-Civil Rights Bus Law?

Post by spellingmistake »

I was playing Open TTD tonight and I had a bit of an idea. TTD never really took into account the civil rights movement in regard to buses. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a mod that took into account black people being segregated on the US bus network pre-1960s?

I was half thinking of this in a historical/educational way, and half tongue in cheek, although I'm completely aware this falls into some pretty dodgy territory. I'm not sure if it's possible to present segregation in an appropriate way through a transport simulator! But indulge me in this idea, at least theoretically.

Some ideas for how this would manifest itself in the game would be through special segregated buses and black or white only buses. Perhaps the passengers are separate 'cargos' in the bus station :/. I had a quick search to see if (for some reason!) desegregation had any noticeable impact on bus companies profits at the time, but couldn't find anything.

I'm aware this is a bit of a weird idea. But I'd be interested if anyone had any (obvs non-racist) ideas how this might play out in a game like Open TTD??
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Pre-Civil Rights Bus Law?

Post by Supercheese »

spellingmistake wrote:I'm aware this is a bit of a weird idea.
Largest understatement of 2012 thus far, IMO.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

How can segregation in any way be non-racist? It is just a completely inappropriate thing to put in a game - OTTD is not a historically accurate game and even if it was why would anybody want to play with that just because some evil, twisted b****** in the US had such corrupt morals?
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Perhaps the passengers are separate 'cargos' in the bus station :/
omg-cat-400x300.jpg
omg-cat-400x300.jpg (18.64 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
spellingmistake
Engineer
Engineer

I found this academic paper on the political economy of segregation,
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/di ... id=4140176

According to Wikipedia many streetcar companies at the time refused to take part in segregation for up to 15 years, perhaps local authorities could be of different political persuasions, some could be more liberal, others more... well, racist. They could levy fines against you for not segregating your buses or become unhappy with you or the liberal ones could reward you for not segregating your buses?
Level Crossing
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Level Crossing »

Issues like racism do not belong in a game oriented for all ages.
Like my avatar? See my screenshot thread
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

It's all very interesting from a historical perspective, but as a suggestion for OTTD I think this is in rather poor taste (to say the least).
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

WTF, I am speechless after reading this crap.

You really want me to tell my three year old, who is glued to the screen like a fly on flypaper whenever OpenTTD runs whilst shouting "tsjoeke tsjoeke tuut tuut", that black people go in the back of the bus ... I don't think so mate.
Perhaps the passengers are separate 'cargos' in the bus station
Hey better would be to create a slave market and make them black people slaves instead of special cargo in a bus. You could transport them to farms and factories to boost production. eh?

spellingmistake, one more such suggestion and I will never ever speak to you again.
Welcome to the forums, you sure made an entry that won't be forgotten anytime soon

edit: typo ... thank you Level Crossing
Last edited by ChillCore on 04 Jan 2012 09:48, edited 2 times in total.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Level Crossing
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Level Crossing »

ChillCore wrote:you sure made an entree that won't be forgotten anytime soon
Agreed with the rest of your post. Not sure if this is a typo, so just a quick correction:

entry is arrival (in this case).
entree is the main course in a restaurant.
Like my avatar? See my screenshot thread
spellingmistake
Engineer
Engineer

I wasn't suggesting it as an broadly available feature of the game, I just thought it was interesting idea in theory.

The game deals with the changing technology of transport, I thought it'd be interesting to see if the changing politics of transport could be represented in the a game in such a way that was playable and of course, non-racist, perhaps even having a pro-civil rights slant to it.

And in case there was any doubt, earlier I was referring to white people as 'cargo' too.

Anyway didn't mean to upset anyone, I didn't seriously consider that someone would take the time to make this, just an idea.
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

spellingmistake wrote:I didn't seriously consider that someone would take the time to make this, just an idea.
It therefore boggles the mind why you would bother to post it at all. A suggestion you really didn't think anyone would want to implement is scarcely a suggestion at all.

Because I'm nice and want to give you the benefit of the doubt, I won't accuse you of premeditated trolling. But your original post sure looks a heck of a lot like just that.
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Try tourists in ECS Vectors. It's basically the same principle of having two types of passengers for which you need separate vehicles.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

And in case there was any doubt, earlier I was referring to white people as 'cargo' too.
In game passengers are refered too as cargo to be transported ... that was not what upset me at all.
The fact that you would even consider differenciating between people based on the colour of their skin did.

I've calmed down a bit now after a night of sleep.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt too and asume that you wanted to discuss the historical perspective.

The human race has many ugly faces and horrible things have happened during the course of our collective history ... that does not mean that we should include them in a friendly family game.
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

^ What Dave said.
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

You registered here just to make this suggestion?

I think you're better off producing Maya calanders.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

While we're at it, we could also consider having separate vehicles for separate races. I.e. buses for blacks that breakdown all the time or get crashed by trains every time they try to cross a rail line... No wait! A great idea: passenger ships for blacks only and all of them get named Titanic and all of them get the appropriate fate too!

Not funny, not even as a "historical" idea. :roll: :(
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Ye, the passenger capacity of the slave ships could be greatly increased to reflect the historical fact of how bad the conditions were on the ships at the time to make the largest profit...
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Maybe I'm just too insensitive to get all these reactions, but to me it'd just be something that would make some historic NA scenarios more accurate. Which, imo, is pretty much always a good thing (for scenarios; this wouldn't make sense on a random map without any context, obviously).
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Pyoro wrote:Maybe I'm just too insensitive to get all these reactions, but to me it'd just be something that would make some historic NA scenarios more accurate. Which, imo, is pretty much always a good thing (for scenarios; this wouldn't make sense on a random map without any context, obviously).
Maybe this helps: imagine someone asks for livestock vans to be refitted to carry Jews, to make a hsitorical accurate representation of how the German Reichsbahn transported Jews to concentration camps.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”