Open TTD on Steam?

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

RAL
Engineer
Engineer

Open TTD on Steam?

Post by RAL »

After searching the forum with no result, I feel I should post. This topic could be already discussed or unrealistic, either way it'd be great if OTTD was featured on Steam! I expect the player-base to explode, seeing it has 25 million users and supports dedicated servers. One problem though is that commercially, OTTD has not much to offer. After all Steam is not charity, so they might oppose "open" content. Apart from that it's likely I'm overlooking some technical difficulties, of which I'd like to hear about. Anyone who is interested, visit: SteamworksBrochure2010.pdf

In my experience it helps a lot if the people at Valve itself know about the game (see GMOD, Peggle, Trine etc.). It'd be great if someone who does feel entitled, contacts Valve to explain the awesomeness of OTTD :wink: Allow me to paraphrase Gabe Newell:
Feel free to email me at: gaben@valvesoftware.com
Is it possible that in the near future one could see:
???

I'd even pay for that! :shock:
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Open TTD on Steam?

Post by Rubidium »

Just take a look at http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=785179#p785179 why it is unlikely to ever happen.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

So you want achievements, DLCs and such...?

RAL
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RAL »

Rubidium wrote:Just take a look at http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=785179#p785179 why it is unlikely to ever happen.
Ok, thanks for the link, it was to be expected. Now if I have your attention, I plead for a higher company limit in order to host a MMO like server. :twisted:
So you want achievements, DLCs and such...?
No way!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

OpenTTD is also a free game, and while Steam does carry a few free games, they are usually games by a publisher that also has paid-for games. There would be almost no value in Valve carrying Steam, since they wouldn't earn any money for it (and those servers cost money). Plus, due to the origins of OpenTTD, it may be legally grey offering the game on such a "visible" platform anyway - particularly considering at least one official Chris Sawyer(-ish) game is already on Steam (RollerCoaster Tycoon 3).
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

<offtopic>
But what is wrong with OpenTTD? If I remember correctly TTD licence didn't disallowed reversed engineering.
</offtopic>
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Why don't you just add it as a non steam game if you want to play on steam, there wouldn't be much more comparability built in than that offers if you did get it on.
Expresso
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Expresso »

It's not steam, but something like that... however, downloading updates and new games appears to be missing.

GNU Gaming Zone.

Widelands has recently added support for GGZ, it would be nice if OpenTTD got support for it too.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

That looks more dead than TTDPatch; no commits in the last half year, one commit in the last 11 months.
Lordmwa
President
President

Achievement System

Post by Lordmwa »

Is there any particular reason that OpenTTD cannot be on steam?

I think it would be a first and fair enough steam wouldnt get any money out of it but they would get traffic. If they link to similar non free games then there might be something in it for them?
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722
Arie-
Director
Director

Re: Achievement System

Post by Arie- »

Could. Use. Search. Function. But um someone was looking into it (not a dev. I think), no idea how it ended.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

C. Source SDK.

Your Subscription(s) may contain access to the Valve software development kit (the "SDK") for the computer game engine used in Half-Life 2 and other compatible Valve products (the "Source Engine"). You may use, reproduce and modify the SDK on a non-commercial basis solely to develop a modified game (a "Mod") for Half-Life 2 or other Valve products compatible with and using the Source Engine. You may reproduce and distribute the Mod in object code form, solely to licensed end users of Half-Life 2 or other compatible Valve products, provided that the Mod is made publicly available and distributed without charge on a non-commercial basis

If you would like to use the Source SDK or a Mod for a commercial purpose or activity, please contact Valve at sourceengine@valvesoftware.com.
That doesn't read particularily compatible with OpenTTD's license.
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

besides, what would one gain from that?
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

OpenTTD gains a whole new market and easy system for distribution. Steam automatically provides updates and so the main OpenTTD trunk can be run through it.

Planetmaker im sure there is an incompatability there but can you highlight it as i dont see anything
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

short answer: most likely aint going to happen ever

downloading a zip and extracting that does not need to be simplified, the people using steam should be well able to handle a zip file.

what if i do not want to have my copy of OpenTTD updated?
Last edited by dihedral on 03 Feb 2011 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Lordmwa wrote:Is there any particular reason that OpenTTD cannot be on steam?

I think it would be a first and fair enough steam wouldnt get any money out of it but they would get traffic. If they link to similar non free games then there might be something in it for them?
Please use the search function, read the lengthy discussion about this issue and ask any further questions in that thread.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Split and moved to proper thread (where indeed everything has already been said)
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

If only you would have read the whole thread, or specifically the second post of the thread...
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

Rubidium wrote:
If only you would have read the whole thread, or specifically the second post of the thread...
The threads were not together then :)

But yes i see thank you
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Lordmwa wrote:[...]The threads were not together then :) [...]
Maybe that's why some people suggested the search function to you.

Anyhow, OpenTTD has a very user-friendly interface for graphich and AI updates already. Is it possible to expand this interface to selecting game updates once you launch the game?

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”