Traffic Jam Map

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Do you need the Traffic Jam Map feature?

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes: 33

tut
Engineer
Engineer

Traffic Jam Map

Post by tut »

The idea is to show places with traffic jams on World Map.

Signal of any type is a place where we can measure traffic (don't forget depot since it contains invisible signal). There may be two traffic measuring methods for each signal:
  • easiest way - just count number of stopped trains due to red signal for the last period (month?) - in the case we have to normalize the absolute measured values probably;
  • another way is to measure percent of time when trains waited for green signal.
As for visualization it may be shown on Routes Map as points of appropriate color - see an example attached.
Attachments
traffic_map.png
traffic_map.png (132.63 KiB) Viewed 748 times
arpa_ks
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Traffic Jam Map

Post by arpa_ks »

I think this feature would be very useful. You could see any problem in your network in a glance.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

I thought this had always been a feature of the world map. Put it in vehicle mode, and look for the ones that are all clustered up not going anywhere.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
tut
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tut »

Brianetta wrote:I thought this had always been a feature of the world map. Put it in vehicle mode, and look for the ones that are all clustered up not going anywhere.
"Clustered" trains do not mean that the area requires your attention. On the contrary, this may be a result of good optimization so the area now can pass lots of trains at the same time without delays.

The original idea was to show problem areas.
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

I very much like this idea. Handy for spotting where something's being a pain (and also, it could be very handy for those interested in optimising throughput for the sake of it.
Jon
mullie0
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mullie0 »

I like this idea

though I would prefer not to see the time waited for red signals but the average speed of trains over a certain block. this would be more usefull also for improving corners and junctions
tut
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tut »

mullie0 wrote:though I would prefer not to see the time waited for red signals but the average speed of trains over a certain block. this would be more usefull also for improving corners and junctions
What if you have several trains with different max speed values? Also the same loaded train will have different speed. But perhaps if we normalize current train speed to its max empty/loaded speed, this have sense.

Actually waiting time or passing speed may be implemented as options of the traffic jam map view.

BTW, I saw a suggestion on the forum to use waypoints for gathering train speed statistics and I like the idea. At the same time the passing waypoints speed statistics and waiting time before signal statistics may be shown on the same jam map.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

tut wrote:
Brianetta wrote:I thought this had always been a feature of the world map. Put it in vehicle mode, and look for the ones that are all clustered up not going anywhere.
"Clustered" trains do not mean that the area requires your attention. On the contrary, this may be a result of good optimization so the area now can pass lots of trains at the same time without delays.

The original idea was to show problem areas.
I see you didn't read all the words I wrote. I have enlarged the three you missed:
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”