When starting company prompt to set password.

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

eraser
Engineer
Engineer

When starting company prompt to set password.

Post by eraser »

Howdy,

I know A LOT of the regulars get fed up of the posting about ppl having their game destroyed by some idiot by him taking over the company. I suggest that we make it mandatory to set a password when making a new company. I also believe that this would have a huge impact on the amount of people wanting a central banning ip range system, as with the passwords in theory there would be A LOT harder for idiots to destroy games.

This would also help out those people who have just grabbed the game. For me the first time i learnt about the passwords was just after i got my game destroyed and i know i almost didnt want to play any more.

Post what you reckon.

-Marc
bob27
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: When starting company prompt to set password.

Post by bob27 »

Very clever idea! The only thing is that some people want to let anyone join and play without asking for a password. However that is a small inconvenience to pay for having less company destroyers! :)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Simple - allow an empty string as the set password. A user who wants to leave their company open can just hit ENTER.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
bob27
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bob27 »

Oh, Yeah! I completely forgot that was how you removed a password! All in all, it seems like a good idea to enter a password automatically when you make a company.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

If I want anyone to join, I can place a sign with the password.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

athanasios wrote:If I want anyone to join, I can place a sign with the password.
Well, but unless he joins the server first (at least as spectator), he can't see the sign. For this to work effectively, people should be able to move from spectator to a company (or to create new company and join it) without need for reconnecting.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

there is a config option ( not in 0.5.3 though - cannot remember when it was introduced)

default_company_pass =

whenever you create a company the pass will be set to that :-)
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

dihedral wrote:there is a config option ( not in 0.5.3 though - cannot remember when it was introduced)

default_company_pass =

whenever you create a company the pass will be set to that :-)
This got into trunk quite recently, though it have two disadvantages - in game you don't see whether there is some password or not (you have to look into the config file to check for that)

Second, it is stored in plaintext in config file. If you do not realize that and send config file to someone (like with some bug report to the bugtracker) ... oops, your password just became public.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

it's your own job to check the content of what you send!
openttd should not be responsible for peoples own sillyness!

btw: same thing for server config, server_pw and rcon_pw are both plain text, besids it's a game - you just dont use sensitive passwords there
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

I know. But unfortunately many people are probably not aware of that. Whil server owners are probably at least somewhat educated and may realize the password is there, players (or at least some of them) may have less computer skills and they won't realize the password is stored in config. We store high-scores in hs.dat, so we may store the passwords in some separate file too. That way anybody can send config to anyone without worrying about editing out the password first (or forgetting to do that and then ripping hairs out of his head)

Grolsch
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Grolsch »

Isn't there a console command to set a password? If so, then we can start using on_client.scr for automatically setting a password without having it typed in openttd.cfg.

edit: found it: company_pw does the trick!

edit2: strange, in the console it says "company_pw changed to blabla", however when I start another game, and check the server, my company isn't PW-protected... Weird :?
Beer equals power
pavel1269
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by pavel1269 »

athanasios wrote:If I want anyone to join, I can place a sign with the password.
:) i rename my company to ... "Password: PW" and ... i leave ... ;) almost same :P
sforget
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sforget »

Grolsch wrote:Isn't there a console command to set a password? If so, then we can start using on_client.scr for automatically setting a password without having it typed in openttd.cfg.

edit: found it: company_pw does the trick!

edit2: strange, in the console it says "company_pw changed to blabla", however when I start another game, and check the server, my company isn't PW-protected... Weird :?
Thats because "on_client.scr" is called before you actually join the company, thus the password is set, and then you join the company. FOr this idea to work, it would have to be the other way.
TT Player since 1994.
-| Home Page |- -| Save Server Passwords Patch |-
Image - Live ScreenShots
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

besids it would set the password when you join other peoples companies, and i dont think they would thank you for that!
and exactly how often do you have to pass your config file on to others that you cannot your default_company_pw ?
and exactly how many people actually touch their config files manually?
NukeBuster
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by NukeBuster »

I made a patch that shows the password dialog when you join a NEW company.

Please look here: Password at join
NukeBuster

Transport Empire: The Transport Empire Linux effort
Join the Transport Empire IRC channel: [url]irc://irc.oftc.net/transportempire[/url] !

OpenTTD patch(es): Password at join
eraser
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eraser »

really nice nuke buster. Hopefully it wil fall into the trunk.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”