The new transparency options

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

The new transparency options

Post by White Rabbit »

When the new transparency options were added, a very nice feature was sadly removed, and I would like to request to have it back. That feature was having transparent station signs in its own "transparency category", namely that no matter what your transparency options with trees or buildings were, transparent station signs would remain isolated and unaffected.

As you can see, the current system is too inflexible and forces me to play with large, blocky station signs and only have them transparent together with all the other stuff.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

wait one or two days for the patch, i have it done, but devs are quite busy and i prefer to not stress them so much

if you can't wait, the patch is in the development section in the first post of the transparency options topic
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Heh, I also ran into the same problem, it feels really strange to see a blocky station sign. But I run in transparent mode most of the time now as I can keep key things visible and things like trees and buildings invisible. Maybe something simular will solve your problem until it is fixed in trunk.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The new transparency options

Post by White Rabbit »

Was this ever addressed, or has the change been reverted? Station names are still blocky (and have been for a while now, I presume).
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

In my opinion, I hope they never revert the new transparency options as I find them invaluable... however, I'm pretty sure that I use the transparent station signs myself?! Its a separate option, like the town names, under the config drop down thingy.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

White Rabbit wrote:Was this ever addressed, or has the change been reverted? Station names are still blocky (and have been for a while now, I presume).
Set signs to invisible, or rather transparent.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

hmm.. Still don't get what are you talking about.. r12025
Attachments
trstation.gif
trstation.gif (84.71 KiB) Viewed 3964 times
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

He wants (and I can kind of understand it since I feel a bit the same way) a possibility to keep the station names "transparent" = smaller and less view disturbing all the time, even when the other stuff is set to opaque, without having to fiddle in the transparency window.

Just like before this whole transperency window was introduced - iirc back then there was a seperate setting for these signs, and it would just stay at what you set it to, while 'x' toggled the transparency of all the other stuff.

And since the station signs is something I think you don't want to change all the time if you toggle transparency but set it to one style you like and keep it like that, the old way it worked was nicer. I think that's exactly what White Rabbit meant aswell.

Understand it now? :)

Hey, that's an idea for a new patch I could make. How about making CTRL-clicking available for the transparency window - it sets a lock to the option you CTRL-clicked on, so it won't get toggled with 'x' anymore.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Instead of what I should be doing (learning for my exam) I made a little mockup:

I've drawn the lock myself - I'm not experienced in pixel arts, so if I (or someone else) decides to really code something like this, maybe someone else could make a better lock sprite.
the lock
the lock
lock.png (256 Bytes) Viewed 3913 times
CTRL-click on an option &quot;locks&quot; it to prevent it being switched by pressing 'x'
CTRL-click on an option "locks" it to prevent it being switched by pressing 'x'
lock mockup 1.png (2.72 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
after pressing 'x', only the non-locked options have switched.
after pressing 'x', only the non-locked options have switched.
lock mockup 2.png (2.73 KiB) Viewed 3914 times
In this example, I decided that I always want the station signs transparent, and always have the loading indicators displayed, even if I want to toggle all the other stuff. If I now press 'x', the sign option stays on true and the loading indicators option stays on false.

---
Before going heads first into this (me or someone else) we might want to talk to belugas who worked recently on transparency stuff and left some cryptic messages hinting at that he still has some stuff about transparency in the pipeline - for all that we know, he might be working on exactly what i'm imagining here...
Revision: 12022
Author: belugas
Date: 18:36:28, Mittwoch, 30. Januar 2008
-Revert(r12018): Invisible trees are now separate from the building concept.
So when you want invisible trees, just select the option of the same name in the Patch Options and toggle transparency of trees.
More to come on the saga of Invisibility. So stay tuned.

ImageImage
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

XeryusTC wrote:
White Rabbit wrote:Was this ever addressed, or has the change been reverted? Station names are still blocky (and have been for a while now, I presume).
Set signs to invisible, or rather transparent.
Do you mean like this (see attachment)? If so, that won't work, because whenever I press x, only the station signs are affected. I'd like to see them, as I wrote in the first post, isolated from other transparency options, just like they used to be (i.e. in 0.5.3)
Roujin wrote:He wants (and I can kind of understand it since I feel a bit the same way) a possibility to keep the station names "transparent" = smaller and less view disturbing all the time, even when the other stuff is set to opaque, without having to fiddle in the transparency window.

Just like before this whole transperency window was introduced - iirc back then there was a seperate setting for these signs, and it would just stay at what you set it to, while 'x' toggled the transparency of all the other stuff.

And since the station signs is something I think you don't want to change all the time if you toggle transparency but set it to one style you like and keep it like that, the old way it worked was nicer. I think that's exactly what White Rabbit meant aswell.
That's just what I've been writing about. :)
Attachments
stationsigns.png
stationsigns.png (9.87 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Well I looked in the source code and the comments are still stating that the sign option should NOT be toggled when pressing 'x'. So now I don't know anymore if it was intended to change it or just a bug.

If it's the latter, I made a micro patch that shifts some bits here and there, resulting in the sign option being never touched by 'x', like before introduction of the transparency gui.

This is NOT what I wrote about before (the idea with locking) but a small fix. I hope though that if a dev sees this and he says the change was not intentional but a bug, it can be applied to trunk. ;)

EDIT: patch removed because trunk now has the ability to lock the options. :)
Last edited by Roujin on 10 Feb 2008 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Thanks. :) It does just what I want.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

I have implemented the more sophisticated idea I made a mockup of. I will make a thread in the development section shortly. Here's a teaser (it's using the locks already in OpenTTD (indicating password protected servers normally) instead of including the lock i've drawn in my mockup.

Keep your fingers crossed that the devs are willing to include it to trunk 8)

edit: as of revision r12102, the feature is in trunk! :) yay :o now you don't need small fix anymore, so i'll remove it from my previous post.. ;)
Attachments
coming to a development forum section near you soon!
coming to a development forum section near you soon!
transparency lock teaser.png (57.73 KiB) Viewed 3615 times

ImageImage
Jump
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Jump »

Roujin wrote:I have implemented the more sophisticated idea I made a mockup of. I will make a thread in the development section shortly. Here's a teaser (it's using the locks already in OpenTTD (indicating password protected servers normally) instead of including the lock i've drawn in my mockup.

Keep your fingers crossed that the devs are willing to include it to trunk 8)

edit: as of revision r12102, the feature is in trunk! :) yay :o now you don't need small fix anymore, so i'll remove it from my previous post.. ;)

r12102 maedhros 2008-02-10 15:49:44 +0100 (Sun, 10 Feb 2008) 1 line
-Feature: Allow locking individual transparency settings so they will not be changed by pressing 'x'. (Roujin)

wheee.

Thanks Roujin :)
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

What? And nobody though of thanking Maedhros for that??

Well... here I do

:bow: Thanks Maedhros :bow:

Boring... tab-name completion is broken in ttforums...
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

belugas wrote:Boring... tab-name completion is broken in ttforums...
Should that be a feature then? Usually, in a webbrowser, tab skips to the next form element; as it should do.

Anyways, a very big thank you to everyone who made this feature possible:

Very Big Thank You! :D
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

FooBar wrote:
belugas wrote:Boring... tab-name completion is broken in ttforums...
Should that be a feature then? Usually, in a webbrowser, tab skips to the next form element; as it should do.
'was A joke...
Like...
Spending too many hours per day in IRC...
gaaaa... nevermind
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

belugas wrote: 'was A joke...
Like...
Spending too many hours per day in IRC...
gaaaa... nevermind
This sounds like Belugas wasn't very much awake (as I now..) :P
BTW. I've tried that tab.completion too in other places than IRC and OpenTTD Chat 8)
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

belugas wrote:'was A joke...
I can see the funnyness now I see that there was funnyness to see (errr...right :?). I wasn't familiar with that type of tab completion stuff thingies :D

I'd better go sleeping now. It just doesn't make sense what I'm typing and all...

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”