Station style depots

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Station style depots

Post by Ben_K »

Im sure many of you have thought this before; How can those huge trains disappear into one tile? Hmmm. Id like to suggest the idea of setting up depots so that they are like stations. You could build them up tile by tile for your own aesthetic pleasures and they would look more realistic. However, Id like to link that in with a depot limiting system that only allow trains to be built that could actually fit on that depot itself.

Short term?
Maybe someone has the ability to code a way to 'attach' depots so that they act as one. We can build a few together so it looks good but they are still individual tiles....

Longer term?
The construction of GRF's that produce depot tiles. Id imagine this will be simpler if the above coding is possible - just like stations.
The above image includes a 'train washer' that Ive just drawn up as a rough idea of what we could aim for.

Website I was using as a reference:
Train Maintenance
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

That would get ridiculous, in real life there are very few depots that can house a complete train, let alone the massive long freight trains, often there is only space for a loco or two and wagons are stored outside.

Edit: Nice depots by the way! :P
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Nice idea.
I am one of those players, that build unnecessary things only because they look good.
I for sure would love drive-thru depots (Especially for RVs)
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Ameecher wrote:That would get ridiculous, in real life there are very few depots that can house a complete train, let alone the massive long freight trains, often there is only space for a loco or two and wagons are stored outside.
Hmmm... yeah, I was thinking that at the same time. Would cause hell on american scenarios.

Although, these maybe we could make tiles that look like empty track? Surely even the longest trains have to be stored somewhere!!

And yeah, I love these new depots :D Hope you dont mind them added to my photoshop! :D
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

There's already 'void' track tile in NewStations grf. Could be adapted to act as 'depot area'
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

Lol, train washer. Trains don't even get dirty. Anyway, I like this idea.
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

Even from a gameplay perspective, I would prefer drive through depots than the current depot system. <_< I had to do A LOT of awkard setups to make sure that train dosen't do a harsh curve when entering or exiting a depot.
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

Desolator wrote:Lol, train washer. Trains don't even get dirty.
Yes they do.

Anyway, I too like this idea. It would mean I could have even better eyecandy set ups on my networks.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

I mean in TTD. I didn't see any dirt on them.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

I 've already suggested on this, that train length should depent on depot size.
For the time being, there is a depot that covers the whole tile and so you can stick a number of them together to mock what you suggest. Check the threads, it is very old graphic and was recently locked, still you can download it.

Finally in TTD there are instructions on a German web page for TTD how to place some locos on rails and then hex edit the saved game to transform them to wagons, imitating all those "parked/abandoned" wagons we see in real life.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

I currently add a few 'new depot' graphics together, however its a bit scruffy and would be nicer as a proper set. It also makes me think of the AWESOME work some of the GRF artists do and could provide some great, great 'functional eye-candy'! 8)
AntBUK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by AntBUK »

A RO-RO type full-length depot would be good.

Code: Select all

/----==========----\
< ----/---------------------\---- <
> --/------------------------\-- >

= Depot
- Line
/ \ Junction
As people have suggested:
Use void tracks as depot and link them up as one depot so as trains leave going the same way they went in. Maybe expanding it station like...

Code: Select all

/-<--==========--<-\
       |->--==========-->-|
< ----/-<----------------<-\---- <
> --/-->----------------->--\-- >
Edits: ASCII Art..... meh!
Rasing Awareness: Aspergers Syndrome 1 (NAS UK)2 (BBC)3 (YaleDDC)

Something is driving you insane... It is me.
mosfet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mosfet »

IMHO depot building should be just as important as station building, rather than an afterthought.

Ameecher, the three depots I know of (Wimbledon, Selhurst and Victoria) are all of sufficient size to accomodate the largest passenger trains that SWT and the Southern railway companies run, so this is not entirely a problem, although freight may require rethink.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I'm keeping an eye on this thread as this is the ultimate intention with my depots and add things like washing plants and carraige sidings.

I know some depots can house complete trains but many others can't. Depots for the Class 180 'Adelantes' which are 5 car at Old Oak Common can only house 3 of the 5 coaches while the depot at Norwich for 10 car passenger trains (and a locomotive) can only hold 8 coaches.
mosfet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mosfet »

Ameecher wrote:I'm keeping an eye on this thread as this is the ultimate intention with my depots and add things like washing plants and carraige sidings.

I know some depots can house complete trains but many others can't. Depots for the Class 180 'Adelantes' which are 5 car at Old Oak Common can only house 3 of the 5 coaches while the depot at Norwich for 10 car passenger trains (and a locomotive) can only hold 8 coaches.
There's no reason a depot in OpenTTD can't have unhoused track - like the end-pieces in default dual platform/covered stations in TTD.
SyncViews
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SyncViews »

If it was implemented to also allow diffrent tiles as with stations the question of coverd/uncoverd would be irrelvant. You could build only 2 tiles coverd where the train locs stoped then have another 14 empty tiles to act as parking for the freight cars and passengers carriges if you wanted or a 20 tile coverd depot.

I think drive through depots should be made regardless of grfs though as when you want a depot on an 8 track mainline haveing to have all the depots at a 90 degree angle causes the whole lots to become about 40 tiles wide in order to avoid over sharp turns.
l_Blue_l
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by l_Blue_l »

YAY. I finally have a prototype of Station Depot. All i have done so far is make a station into two types station and depot. The only functionality a station depot has so far is building and releasing trains. Picture of a train leaving a Station Depot is below.

As this is such a large project and that i have other commitments such as University and other OpenTTD patches i doubt i will have much time to work on this patch but i will try my best.
Attachments
Depot Station.PNG
Depot Station.PNG (68.82 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
Juhl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Juhl »

I thought about differentiate between depots and service stations. Depots should be larger versions of what we have now and be able to both service trains as well as assembly them (read: buy/sell).

Whereas service stations should only be able to service trains but perhaps at a faster pace (or allow the trains to go faster through them, eg. as normal stations).
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Blue... you could potentially become my hero ;) Its a very interesting start! Do you think it will be able to support multiple platforms eventually? (As I think thats the main desire for people in this subject area).
Dave

Post by Dave »

But a lot of depots AREN'T Ro-Ro. Central's EMU depot in Soho isn't Ro-Ro, its linear, with connection back to the mainline only at one end.

The option to turn around is also required, I believe.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”