All Climates World

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

All Climates World

Post by richk67 »

Hi. This is a sneak peak at something I am experimenting with. Ive always wanted to create a decent USA map with all 3 climates - so we can have nice arctic bits in the Rockies, desert in Arizona, tropical in Florida & Mississippi, temperate in New York state.

Using the 8bpp new land graphics, Zephyris has kindly put together a graphics set with the 3 major climates in. Using this, Ive rewritten the terrain drawing routines to allow maps with all 3 climates on at the same time. By default, I have it that snow appears in temperate 1 tile higher than in arctic. Still not sure whether to extend that into a tropical snow zone (Kilmanjaro). Also, you get completely shore shorelines by default.

The algorithm that places the climate zones has tropic as the outermost zone, then a temperate zone, then arctic. This prevents the oddity of arctic and tropic sitting next to each other.

There are further problems with this; the selected landscape option currently decides what your houses, road edges, rail edges, etc have as the base land. Sorting out the roads & rail wont be too bad. The houses is more of an issue, as all bits are currently taken in the landscape bitmap for houses. (Shows it was short-sighted to go to only m7, and not add m8 as well.)

Also note that at the moment, any .grf that requires a particular climate to work wont work. This is more a proof of concept experiment, and I know there are sizeable issues ahead.

I'd like to gauge reaction to this. Is it worth continuing? Arguably, it could make the other terrains redundant - or in effect single terrain selections within the range of all-climates.

I will only be playing with this for a while. I do not intend to release it as a patch until I am very very happy I have resolved almost all the major technical issues.

Anyone with ideas, and comments, greatly appreciated. Positive and negative - but if negative, please explain a good reason and offer an alternative that can provide all climates.

For once, newgrf is NOT the answer ;)
Attachments
Mix of terrains, including snow in temperate.
Mix of terrains, including snow in temperate.
Unnamed, 4th Feb 1943.png (105.42 KiB) Viewed 2905 times
Another example.
Another example.
Unnamed, 1st Jan 1943.png (122.83 KiB) Viewed 2610 times
The trees are selected according to the climate of the tile. Trees above the snowline in temperate are arctic trees.
The trees are selected according to the climate of the tile. Trees above the snowline in temperate are arctic trees.
Unnamed, 5th Feb 1943.png (337.45 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
Last edited by richk67 on 23 Mar 2008 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: All Climates World

Post by richk67 »

placeholder for releases - if I do them!
Attachments
Another random generation
Another random generation
Unnamed, 9th Jan 1943.png (148.58 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
closeup of tropic->temperate transition. note current cutting off of snow-in-temperate where it meets tropic
closeup of tropic->temperate transition. note current cutting off of snow-in-temperate where it meets tropic
Unnamed, 11th Feb 1943.png (211.1 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
temperate->arctic transition. works better, although i may ask for some temp grass->arctic grass transition tiles
temperate->arctic transition. works better, although i may ask for some temp grass->arctic grass transition tiles
Unnamed, 11th Feb 1943#1.png (255.8 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
Last edited by richk67 on 23 Mar 2008 17:08, edited 2 times in total.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

Sounds very interesting!
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
leno4
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by leno4 »

Yeah...... ...sure does
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

richk67 wrote:The houses is more of an issue, as all bits are currently taken in the landscape bitmap for houses. (Shows it was short-sighted to go to only m7, and not add m8 as well.)
But then why "only" m8, why not m8 till m65536? or m8 to m16777216? Because we might need more memory in the future.

Anyhow... *if* you're a little inventive you can free at least 2 bits from the houses, which should be more than enough for an all climates world.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

I only need 1 bit, so please tell.

re m7+: at the time m7 was needed, there was a debate on whether to add some extra spare space. Decision then (which at the time I thought was short sighted), was to only add "what you need for now". Really forward thinking.
Firework Photography
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Thanks. :D
Seems transition is a bit abrupt in small maps. I would limit its usage in large maps (> 1024) and eventually add new "climates" and features to make transition more smooth.

Now why did you omit toyland? ?(
No I am joking!
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Seems transition is a bit abrupt in small maps.
If there is enough interest in this patch I will gladly make a graphics set to provide smoother transitions between climates by tweaking arctic/tropical colours and adding transition tiles...
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

:]
Go Ahead!!!

el koeno
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by el koeno »

Looks pretty cool, keep it up!

I can see this opening up all sorts of cool possibilities. But it might be best to get it working first. ;)
jacke
Director
Director

Post by jacke »

This is very interesting, I would definitely play with it! I really hope you'll finish a patch! :bow:
Any plans how to handle the default industries and cargos? Whould all of them (well, except those from toyland) be available?
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

My idea is that all the standard industries would be available using an all-climate industries .grf, but I wouldnt know where to start coding it. Set restrictions for vehicle sets would need to be disabled to allow single climate .grfs in the multi-climate environment.
Firework Photography
zypa
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by zypa »

This is really interesting!
I'd really love to play in an all climates world.

I play temperate only...
The DB Trainset does not work in the desert and subarctic looks so "brown"...

If there'd be such a patch I'd always play in a multi-climate world.
Daz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Daz »

Would this replace toyland?
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

No!

richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Indeed no. At the moment it breaks toyland (and arguably breaks the other climates too). The intention is that it is a generation switch, and only available when one of the three classic climates is selected. The fourth climate would be unaffected.

However - that is for GENERATION only. In the scenario editor, I will let you paint in an area in toyland. Its then your own silly fault if you want to model Disneyworld. :)

PS. Nothing will happen on this patch for at least a week. I am going away on holiday to soak up some sunshine.
Firework Photography
cej123
Engineer
Engineer

Post by cej123 »

I've accually thought of this a wile ago. This would be a nice feature, if i made a map of the world, i could make it look realistic and have the different climates.
Darkn1ght
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Darkn1ght »

Love what u doing here i thought to myself that this would of been thought about before :D

Anyways i think 3 climates in 1 is more realistic and it going to be a massive hit

But i do have a few suggestion if you haven't thought about yet:

*Try and have all grass tiles the one colour type (e.g\temperate) ,cause snow & temperate tiles have been done witch leaves you to worry about deserts (if you know what i mean)

*With the trees i like how you were able to keep the tree with appropriate climate but i believe trees with snow should go with the snow and cactus should be in the deserts, the main thing that need to be improved is on the grass tiles that there should only one certain climate type of trees on the grass tiles or artic + temperate trees mixed together i think that would look cool to.

*What i love to see happen to Towns:

1. Have artic (Snow) towns located only in snow areas + (keep them the same style if town expand of the snow)
2. Have tropical (Deserts) towns located only in desert areas +( keep them the same style if town expand of the deserts)
3. Have temperate town located everywhere besides Desert, Snow areas

*Industries, Yes.
My idea is that all the standard industries would be available using an all-climate industries .grf,
But will the transition clash (meaning the ground tiles [e.g\ desert industry on snow climate and the industry having deserts tiles in the middle of the climate] ).

*Road , Railway Track, Canels , Airports etc, transition (e.g\ deserts around railway tracks & no fences for deserts, same for sonw )

*All Vechiles, Trains+carriages, Planes, Boats should be available from all climates + all cargo's if u plan to have all industry's

If you can add some of these suggestion i'll worship you :bow: :lol: lol

That my suggestion. :wink:

But i appropriate you going to all this work so far plus any work after this coment :bow:

Keep us posted if you do any changes
p.s im new here

Love what you doing
jixor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jixor »

Great idea.
Acerbus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Acerbus »

Wow, nice! This will certainly make for some interesting gameplay.

Is it also possible to change climates vertically? For example, 3 tiles from sea level, tropic transforms into temperate, 6 tiles from sea level, temperate turns into sub-arctic, 3 tiles on, sub-arctic turns into rock (like some of the screenshots SAC posted a long time ago), and finally 3 tiles from that, rock turns into snow.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”