Modular Airports

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Modular Airports

Post by Ben_K »

richk67 wrote:The system is also flexible enough to allow seaplane airports... just need some seaplanes to land at them now!
Hmmm... thats interesting news... especially for these chaps!
Benjamin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Benjamin »

I think I'll wait out for the new grf loading system your proposing then. Sounds good and I'm looking forward to seeing it in action. Cheers for the reply.
You ain't seen me. Right?
Aydan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Aydan »

I just had an idea about how to achieve in game modularity without having to use a fancy editor:
use construction blocks like runway+taxiway of different lengths and terminal areas with their own state machines and interface them at certain points.
This way the user could "design" its own airport without the trouble of having to code it from scratch.
Each block might only have one entrance and one exit point to interface with another block and you might hav to build connectors (taxiways without intersections) to interface them.
Boom
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Boom »

couldn't you just for the moment make it so that you can build two intercontinental airports as 1, because i have an intercontinental airport which is served by 64 planes and it takes so long for some of them to land. Is this possible?
gks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by gks »

Yeah,wont it be just easier to have like two intercontinentals attached,not much new brain squeezing coding to do for it.Now your thinking build two airports in the town,no!I mean that some airports have many passengers,so it would be nice to put more flights.(im serious,no sarcasm)
Wup!wup!netherlands! Reds go together!! Forza ac milan!!
dave worley:IM BRIAN BLESSED!
visit my minicity!please increase mypopulation http://molinella.myminicity.com/[img]ht ... ture-1.png[/img]
Dimme
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dimme »

If you are playing with cargodest, you can simply place two airports close together, and make a train route between them, then they will act almost like one big airport :)
Try my modular airports minigame!

PhilSophus
Chairman
Chairman

Post by PhilSophus »

Dimme wrote:If you are playing with cargodest, you can simply place two airports close together, and make a train route between them, then they will act almost like one big airport :)
Discard the almost :wink:

Many huge airports have kind of an inter-terminal train. For reasonable distances of the flight segments and the very short train distance, stop-over penalty and using train should not alter the cargodest routing significantly.

There was a good example posted here somewhere, recently. Wait ... here it is.
"The bigger the island of our knowledge, the longer the shore of our ignorance" - John A. Wheeler, Physicist, 1911-2008
DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DerekCZ »

I KNOW, I KNOW, I am revieving very old topic. But guyz, we now live in fkin 2016 and still noone was able to make any progress in this patch :D Is anyone still interested in it?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

SPolygon wrote:I KNOW, I KNOW, I am revieving very old topic. But guyz, we now live in fkin 2016 and still noone was able to make any progress in this patch :D Is anyone still interested in it?
Nobody with any skills in coding and development. :/

Perhaps you should develop those skills and blaze a trail? :)
DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DerekCZ »

I can technically try to do something like this (I coded some not-OTTD game mods before). And I already have idea :D There already is patch that adds new airports, SO, there can be airport which is only landing strip, and every aircraft that lands is "converted" to RV, which can continue on road to terminals (stations for that RV). Not sure how can I explain it, but all theese things were already done before, but not together.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The devs have previously stated that they would prefer to see a modular NewGRF airport solution to develop. If you'd like to see modular airports included in the trunk game, that would be the route to follow rather than a different type of patch.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”