Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Color scheme in settings

Post by Voyager One »

Hi all!

Problem:
I usually play with the same company colors all the time: e.g. diesel locomotives red+orange, electric locomotives dark blue+orange, helicopters dark blue+white, large planes orange+red, small planes orange+green, etc.

I find it very tedious I can't pre-save these "settings" and just load them, instead I need to do them manually each time I start a new game.

Suggestion:
Actually two suggestions/possibilities. First one is to put this as a part of the settings menu that will affect new games but can still be changed in-game, I don't know if this is possible. The second idea is to make this "saveable" the same way a players "face" can be saved an loaded later.

I really don't know if any of this is possible or interesting to implement but I'd really like to see this in the game.

Thanks!
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Color scheme in settings

Post by siu238X »

Which makes me remember something: Can any two companies use the same colour scheme?
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Not that I know of...
Leon

Image Image Image Image
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Not for the main color, I guess ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Voyager One wrote:The second idea is to make this "saveable" the same way a players "face" can be saved an loaded later.
Now that you mention that, it would be a nice detail if the saved face is auto-loaded whenever joining a multiplayer game.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Andrex wrote:
Voyager One wrote:The second idea is to make this "saveable" the same way a players "face" can be saved an loaded later.
Now that you mention that, it would be a nice detail if the saved face is auto-loaded whenever joining a multiplayer game.
It's just a few clicks you lazy hu-man :wink:
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Mr Fox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr Fox »

Having more color choice could be fun. Instead of yellow, you have gold like in the original TT. A bit like on the right of this screen, the "font colors"
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

YNM wrote:It's just a few clicks you lazy hu-man
No it's not "just a few clicks" when you like playing with different colors for every single type of vehicle in the game. You need at least 20 clicks just for trains only.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Phreeze
Director
Director

Post by Phreeze »

i +1000 voyagers idea ! same for autoloading a face
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Voyager One wrote:
YNM wrote:It's just a few clicks you lazy hu-man
No it's not "just a few clicks" when you like playing with different colors for every single type of vehicle in the game. You need at least 20 clicks just for trains only.
It's just a few times a few clicks. What's the problem ?

(and assuming Andrex mostly play multiplayer, he can't do that on multiplayer anyway)
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Ben1338
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ben1338 »

It might be just a few clicks to do it on multi player, what about single player? You have to set it every time you start up a new game, which, when you're running many GRFs and encounter a problem, it might be a problem you can fix in-game, but most of the time,. it's to do with the GRfs themselves (balancing, setting the parameters) or just simply don't like it or some other reason.

Since GRF modifications and some advanced settings have to be done in the main menu, it's a "Start a new game" or "Live with it" situation.

The problem I have, is the fact the "Number of clicks" grows exponentially with every new game, and this gets rather frustrating after a while.

Also, for multi player games, you can't pause to set your company stats, it's always un-paused, and it does take a rather "long" time to set all of the company colours of all of the possible vehicles all at once. So rather then setting up your first service and earning money, you find yourself within the company profile setting company stats.

It's really annoying top have to set all of the company stats for every restart / join, as this can be the most time consuming and tedious job in OTTD.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Yes, I can see that it may be annoying from user perspective. Personally I think that the time it takes me to implement this is not worth the value of being able to have a company colour presets. However, OpenTTD is open source and you are welcome to work on whatever problem you think is important and thus can make a difference on how OpenTTD evolve.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”