Generating towns not working with custom GRFs

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Dax
Engineer
Engineer

Generating towns not working with custom GRFs

Post by Dax »

The problem seems to be present in particular in large maps for some reason that I absolutely fail to understand. For example, I just tried to create a 4096 x 4096 map with the number of cities set on "Normal" and the number is... zero. Nothing. Even if I set a custom number, like 10, it's still zero. It's funny because it does say that it is generating cities, but they don't appear at all.
In another test, one was created, because why not.

Once getting back to the menu, and going into the game options, I noticed that in the city names field, it says "undefined string" and opening the lists, my newGRFs disappeared. Just to be clear, yes of course they were there in the list and selected, before I created the world. It's as if creating it, broke them.
Of course, if I re-apply them, they come back in the list, but this won't solve the problem.

I tested with 3 of them that I got from OpenTTD and the problem is exactly the same.

What on earth could be the reason? I'm baffled.

edit: I just tried to create for example a smaller map, and told the game to create 18 cities.
It created 3
edit2: actually, even using the in-game names it still created just 4. Wtf?
edit3: run another test, told him to create 10, it created 1...
Last edited by Dax on 14 Jul 2015 21:25, edited 2 times in total.
Sylf
President
President

Re: Generating towns not working with custom GRFs

Post by Sylf »

Can you show us a screen shot of list of NewGRFs loaded when creating a map?
Are you starting a new game, or generating a new scenario?
If you've tried several NewGRFs, which ones have you tried?
Which version of OpenTTD do you use? Do you use any patches?
Dax
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dax »

Sylf wrote:Can you show us a screen shot of list of NewGRFs loaded when creating a map?
Are you starting a new game, or generating a new scenario?
If you've tried several NewGRFs, which ones have you tried?
Which version of OpenTTD do you use? Do you use any patches?
Sorry, I don't understand the screen part. Do you want to see the map, or my NewGRFs list?
I'm starting a new game, and this is the latest OpenTTD, downloaded today. No patches, however I have downloaded the NoCAB AI and currently I set a maximum of 4 AIs. Doesn't seem to be making any difference though, since I just tried with 0 too.

I have tried World Cities, Japanese City Names, Swiss Town Names.
However, something is not right even with the normal names (please refer to my first post edits)

I'd like to try to reinstall the game at this point but will my settings be saved? I didn't see anything in my Documents.

One thing I did do, instead, was tweaking a lot of games options (no script edit, just from inside the game), but nothing too radical, so I'm not sure.
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

I want to see list of newgrfs.
Perhaps a copy of openttd.cfg is helpful too.
Dax
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dax »

sure!
http://imgur.com/a/6V8pH#0

Screen 1 is the list
Screen 2 is one name set
Screen 3 is how it appears when I exit and reopen the game, or when I go back to the menu after creating a map

btw, just noticed a simple thing: exiting and re-opening the game still gives the same problem. Once opening, it will still show this:

also, apologies! I had forgotten that I had downloaded the zBase set. However, I just tested with OpenGFX, and there is no difference whatsoever.

edit: and, here the cfg file
Attachments
openttd.cfg
(11.18 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Dax
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dax »

edit: sorry, I posted something incorrect.

I was partially wrong, I'm so sorry. Some cities were generated, I just had to de-zoom the minimap -_- for some reason there never was one in the standard minimap. The names are fine.
(I'm sorry, really, but I got the game today)

However, something is still off. I just tried setting 100 cities as custom number, however only 15 were generated, which is still very little. Am I missing something?

Again, the names do appear just fine though even if there is that weird bug where it says undefinited string when I go out. But when I tried to create a new game they still work despite what's shown there. Sorry.
Of course, I need to re-apply the GRFs if I want to set another custom ones to make them appear in the list.

edit2: okay, epic fail. Basically the problem is that not only I had to de-zoom the minimap, I also had to stretch the window full screen or navigate on it with the right mouse button. 4096x4096 maps are so huge, oh gosh. I think there are 100 cities after all.
Unfortunately, since the game wasn't letting me reduce the zoom anymore, I had assumed that this was the full map. The fact that the map wasn't based on the real world didn't help me realize that it wasn't.
I realized that it wasn't when I loaded a real-world made scenario and it didn't made any sense that it was cut, so I found out that I had to use the right mouse :/.

Apologies for the disturb, please close xD
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

there is also a button in the main toolbar that gives you a list of all towns on the map.
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

The "undefined string" entry appears when you remove a town-name newgrf while the set of names it provides is selected.
The text for the list entry is provided by the grf, so when you unload it OTTD doesn't know what that text should be anymore.
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
Dax
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dax »

FLHerne wrote:The "undefined string" entry appears when you remove a town-name newgrf while the set of names it provides is selected.
The text for the list entry is provided by the grf, so when you unload it OTTD doesn't know what that text should be anymore.
Hmm there's something weird though.
Today I opened the game for example and undefined string was there. But, I literally did nothing. I
However, if I go on and play the game, it still works the the last selection I had made - even if it actually can't even turn up on the menu. So yeah, it's not really an issue.

I also tried to go on the GRF menu, press Apply without touching anything else, and then the latest one that I had set shows up in the game options.
However, if I exit the game and reopen it it shows as undefined (but, it still works). Dunno
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Dax wrote:I also tried to go on the GRF menu, press Apply without touching anything else, and then the latest one that I had set shows up in the game options. However, if I exit the game and reopen it it shows as undefined (but, it still works). Dunno
This is a known bug in OpenTTD caused by the opening game that is used in the start screen not being created by the same version of OpenTTD.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

kamnet wrote:
Dax wrote:I also tried to go on the GRF menu, press Apply without touching anything else, and then the latest one that I had set shows up in the game options. However, if I exit the game and reopen it it shows as undefined (but, it still works). Dunno
This is a known bug in OpenTTD caused by the opening game that is used in the start screen not being created by the same version of OpenTTD.
actually, it's the reverse of that. the opening game of release versions is very new, and this bug does not show with the very old opening savegame that is used in development versions.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”