Cargo getting "stuck" at transfer stations

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Cargo getting "stuck" at transfer stations

Post by Eddy Arfik »

It seems a few people are having the same problem, I thought I'd share somethings I've seen in my games
cargo stuck at station.png
cargo stuck at station.png (694.88 KiB) Viewed 4980 times
Trains are taking recyclables from this station to the recycling depot, then returning with manufacturing supplies which are transferred to trucks for distribution to the various factories around the city, the 1144 crates displayed are "stuck" and refuse to load onto the trucks, but when more supplies arrive they are loaded no problem. This has happened to me on several occasions at different stations with different cargo types. I saw in another thread it may be related to auto-refit, my trains use "transfer with refit to <fixed cargo>" orders in these situations. Something else I've noticed is that almost every time this occurs, the transfer station can also accept the cargo that is intended for transfer, as shown in the screenshot above. The cargo there got stuck some time after the fishing harbour was built, before that it didn't accept supplies. This has also happened when a town builds houses around a food transfer station that had accepted nothing before.

Basically, from what I have seen it's not Cargodist related, as I have that set to manual for all except pax/mail, but it could be related to auto-refitting or a change in station acceptance not being handled properly.

PS: I can't upload any savegames because I'm currently using a patched version of r26762
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Cargo getting "stuck" at transfer stations

Post by aantono »

Looks like I'm not the only one. Attached are my save, hope someone can figure it out.

Cross-posted http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p1131020 and http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p1131016

Edit: Updated the save game to remove grfs that are not on bananas
Attachments
Snowland Ltd., 13th Jul 1908.png
(277.96 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Snowland Ltd., 13th Jul 1908a.sav
(198.23 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Last edited by aantono on 10 Sep 2014 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

I have seen also that behaviour, but i was using the patchpack from reddit so never bothered to report it...

what i saw is that it was happening only on stations where trains are supposed to refit to another cargo, and that the stuck cargo was corresponding to the very first delivery made. Exemple : train unload metal for the very 1st time at a firs' supplies factory, then train refit to the supplies, and is supposed to, but unable to load the supplies that just have been produced with the metal. train leave empty, the supplies produced will stay there forever then. I should add, that i was never able to load them afterward, even with an other train, or a RV delivering supplies near by and serving a different line than the train.
Cargodist for freight was off btw.

Hope it helps somehow to track the bug ;)
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

I did a bit more experimentation, and it sure does seem like the problem is with cargo dist (or something in that regard).
Looks like when the transfer at the station is not taking place from ship to train, it somehow gets messed up and is no longer being picked up by a train, if it pulls up later and not waiting at the station.
An interesting experiment I've created is this: If I make the same ship that has delivered the ENSP to the station to change its auto-refit from metal back to ENSP, it is being able to load it back on the ship just fine. (but it for some reason only works if the ship shares the same orders as the one delivering the ENSP in the first place. If the ship has other orders, it won't work). Not sure if this is caused by auto-refit at station or cargo dist (even though I have "other cargo classes" set to "manual", thus it should not touch ENSP). Would love to hear any thoughts/ideas as to what could be causing it, as it seems that I'm not the only one experiencing this.
Panando
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Panando »

romazoon wrote: what i saw is that it was happening only on stations where trains are supposed to refit to another cargo, and that the stuck cargo was corresponding to the very first delivery made. ...

Cargodist for freight was off btw.
I concur. I have not encountered this bug when using cargodist but when I played a game with cargodist disabled it was plaguing me. It seemed to occur when I used 'unload and take cargo' orders with refit at station. The refit was generally not working (i.e. the train didn't refit as ordered), and cargo would get stuck and be undeliverable.

I was using a recent trunk build (unpatched). Unfortunately I abandoned that game without saving it, in part due to frustration with the stuck cargo.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

What happens when you let the cargo be dropped from the station by not doing any pickup for that cargo in ~2 years (not sure if available in 1.4.x, but is in nightlies)? Does the stuck cargo then reappear?
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Hmm,

I tried it in a game here (with aircraft) and things seemed to work fine. I tried both "transfer" and "unload", and both "take cargo" and "wait for any full load", with refit to another cargo.
Eddy Arfik
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Eddy Arfik »

If I build a new transfer station further down the line, and only use the terminus for loading, the stuck cargo does disappear after a few years
romazoon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by romazoon »

edit : i m badly awake and read too fast what pikka wrote ;)...
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

PikkaBird wrote:Hmm,

I tried it in a game here (with aircraft) and things seemed to work fine. I tried both "transfer" and "unload", and both "take cargo" and "wait for any full load", with refit to another cargo.
Did you have CargoDist on "manual" for those types of cargo?

Interestingly enough, I've only had this problem with ENSP cargo, the Metal being shipped to the Smithy Forge, which produces the ENSP, does not get stuck at the transfer, but ENSP does. Could it be only happening to some cargo labels and not the others?

P.S. I've updated the save game in http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 8#p1131054 to the one with all GRF coming from Bananas, so people should have no problems loading it in vanilla 1.4.2 version of OpenTTD.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Those cargo packets might be getting reserved for loading, but not loaded due to refit, then they're stuck.

I don't know if that applies without cdist active, but I found similar cargo reservation issues a while back. Fonso put fixes in for the ones we could reproduce. This might be related, or then again, might not be.

Station refits remain buggy imo, it's a nice feature, but there is odd or wrong behaviour in some cases. Needs more good and reliably-reproducible bug reports though.
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

I would love to help with whatever I can as far as testing, etc goes. Were you able to open the updated save game attached to the one of my previous posts? I've updated it to remove all non-Bananas grfs, so it should all be available from Bananas.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

I could load your game, and could see the one shipload of stuck supplies, certainly.
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

After doing more debugging it appears (still doing more extended testing, but...) after changing the ship's orders from auto-refit at station to going to depot and refitting in depot, that the cargo now does get loaded ok on the trains after transfer. Not sure if that helps to narrow down the area of the code to look at, but figured I'd mention it in case it helps in solving this issue.
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

The forum is not the better place to track that.

A proper bugreport would me more suited. Here is the place to go.
Patch - Let's timetable depot waiting time with the Wait in depot patch.
GameScript - Searching a new way to make your cities growing ? Try the Renewed City Growth GameScript.
My screenshots thread.
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

Opened a bug report - https://bugs.openttd.org/task/6110
Please comment if I missed anything.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I think I get same bug, discussed here:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=70854

Ps.
I can't login into flyspray service (I have no account here, only in bananas and translation service, and merge page does not let me to fix this).
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

Saw that https://bugs.openttd.org/task/6110 got closed and marked as fixed, but after downloading the latest nightly r26903 looks like the problem persists. :(
I've uploaded the new savegame to the issue to help reproduce the problem.
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

If you change an order the vehicle will only start following it after it switches to the changed order for the first time ...
The guy on the picture is not me, it's Alonso.
aantono
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by aantono »

Ah, I see. Thanks for the tip, will give it a try.
I changed the order of a train to full load with auto refit and it was just stuck at the station.
What would be the suggested way to do it right?

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”