Game keeps freezing in lobby and in-game

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Kepti
Engineer
Engineer

Game keeps freezing in lobby and in-game

Post by Kepti »

Hello.

I've got Windows 7 32bit, E8400 and 8800GTS. 2gb of RAM.

Game keeps freezing in lobby and in-game. It works about 15 seconds and then freezes for 20 seconds or more. Mouse doesn't move and sometimes the game crashes.

What is the problem? Very annoying...

Kepti
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Game keeps freezing in lobby and in-game

Post by planetmaker »

what's your openttd version? where are the crash data (crash.log, crash.sav, crash.dmp, and crash.png)? Any particular savegame or servers?
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

If the game crashes there's a crash.dmp, crash.log and crash.png that should be reported to the bug tracker.

About the freezing: I've heard the same complaint from one other user, but we were never able to figure out what it is. As long as we do not know how to reproduce it, i.e. we have the exact same configuration of hardware and software as you have, we cannot trace the bug and thus find out what is going on. All reasons for freezing, namely looking up the address of the master server, has been separated into a secondary thread that prevents the user interface from stalling if the address resolution takes time. As such I cannot think of any reason why OpenTTD would freeze.

What could happen is that something, e.g. a virus scanner, is getting between OpenTTD and Windows, and by doing so unbearably delays the execution of sending or receiving some data. But again, that's just a guess and totally unproven.

Sadly enough the only way to get a hold on these kinds of issues is installing the development environment for OpenTTD, compile OpenTTD with debugging symbols, run OpenTTD and check the stack trace at the moments it is freezing. Beyond that, there's sadly enough not much we can do from here.
Kepti
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kepti »

planetmaker wrote:what's your openttd version? where are the crash data (crash.log, crash.sav, crash.dmp, crash.png)? Any particular savegame or servers?
Hello, it's the newest one (nightly). I've already tried the stable 1.1.1 one also.

The game itself doesn't crash. I think windows just shuts it down when it's not responding to Windows. So there is not any crash -file.
Konata
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Konata »

I have the same problem. Before a serversearch runs it normaly.

openttd 1.1.1 and 1.0.4 no bug report, the game freezes -> no crash
Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400
4 GiB RAM
Sapphiere Radeon HD 4870 1 GiB
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

It might be completely unrelated, but there was a similar issue in this thread, where the game froze on the server list. Not in the game, though.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

possibly unrelated, possibly not:

http://bugs.openttd.org/task/4697

the problem seems to be something to do with the [servers] entry in openttd.cfg
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”