[bug?] Strange PBS behavior

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

[bug?] Strange PBS behavior

Post by Vitus »

Hi,

I've been playing with friends quite a lot on net and we found quite annoying bug with PBS.

Sometimes, the PBS doesn't want to allow the train to enter station (terminus), although there is clear path (see attachement). I did try to enable showing of reserved path and it shows no reserved path in there either (should be on ss as well). Adding two-way PB signal in front of station seems to remove this problem, but I'm pretty sure it isn't required to use, as I used it many times without and it worked normally.

Now, I use 0.7.0 beta2 and it "seems" to be fixed. However, better words may be: I'm unable to reproduce it. I've been searching in new beta patch notes and even on bug report and haven't found anything on this. It's possible that some kind of side effect of another bug fix fixed this, though.

However, as I have only very little knowledge of pathfinder in this game and my debugging skills are non-existant, it would be great, if someone with better knowledge would look into it.

About the save: station name should be something like Great Bennbury Forrest (?). There are four two-way PBS in front of station, if you are running 0.7.0beta1, removing those seems to trigger the bug. Also note: this is friend's save as I wasn't able to reproduce this bug and the tracks might have some flaws.

Thanks for help!
two platforms free, yet the signal doesn't want to turn green (reserved path showing enabled)
two platforms free, yet the signal doesn't want to turn green (reserved path showing enabled)
pbs.png (66.13 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
Great Bennbury Transport, 27. led 1990.sav
save
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [bug?] Strange PBS behavior

Post by FooBar »

Just guessing, but I think that the livestock train doesn't want to go to that station and is looking for the shortest route to a point to turn around. Going straight ahead into the station is the shortest route to turn around, but is currently occupied. Therefore, the train is waiting for the platform to clear.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

check the setting "yapf.rail_pbs_station_penalty" (default is 800)

if you reuse a config from older versions of the YAPP patch, this setting may be wrong.
Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vitus »

Eddi wrote:check the setting "yapf.rail_pbs_station_penalty" (default is 800)

if you reuse a config from older versions of the YAPP patch, this setting may be wrong.
Oh, yes, I had there 3000. However, is there any way to test it in that save? If I'm not mistaken, savegame also remembers the settings. If so, is there any way to change this value directly?

Thanks for help!
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

yes, you can change settings from the ingame console.
Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vitus »

I guess it is the "setting" command. Well, I tried (the command was setting "pf.yapf.rail_pbs_station_penalty" 800), but the problem still persists.

edit: even tried to change the layout to be little less "messy", but that didn't work either.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

well, then you obviously messed around with even more pathfinder values. you have to fix those, too.
Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vitus »

Only thing I did in openttd.cfg prior to this was changing the small font size, so the values should be default (unless there was major change in values between 0.6.3 and 0.7.0). However, the strange thing is, that I've tried to build similar track, which worked perfectly. Tried three different layouts on the first track and the 3rd and 4th platform are left free most of the time, while the trains are waiting for free platform.
Tautrimas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tautrimas »

Set pf.path_backoff_interval to something really low. For more, try http://wiki.openttd.org/wiki/index.php/ ... ch_options
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

Tautrimas wrote:Set pf.path_backoff_interval to something really low.
Don't. I fail to see any relevance to the reported problem.

I tried to reproduce the problem with current trunk using the savegame, but wasn't successfull. Everything seems to work just as expected. You might try updating to beta2 in case the behaviour was caused by any of the fixed bugs.

-- Michael Lutz
Tautrimas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tautrimas »

True. When I was playing some precompiled version of cargodest, it used old revision which had exactly the same train pausing problem. Now it's gone and trains run smoothly.
Vitus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vitus »

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know, if this would happen again.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”