OpenTTD 0.7.0-beta1 Trains do not go to service

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

dotnine
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD 0.7.0-beta1 Trains do not go to service

Post by dotnine »

Hi all,
I play 0.7.0b1, i found my trains do not go to depot at all regardless what interval i specify in their properties. I have to add depot order in their orders. Is there any specific points I need to look at what went wrong or it's a bug?
Thanks,
dotnine
flowover
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD 0.7.0-beta1 Trains do not go to service

Post by flowover »

If you find a bug, then try to boil it down to a case situation. One that can be recreated if someone else were to follow the right steps. Perhaps its a matter of your network design. Perhaps it is a bug. We need to be able to create it ourselves to understand. A save game file would help too. Create a new game on a small map and try to recreate. If it doesn't happen on a small map then you have narrowed the issue down some. Try the next size up and repeat.

Saying it doesn't work is not a bug report.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Most likely cause: you disabled breakdowns and enabled "disable servicing when breakdowns are set to none".
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Do you use path signals (aka PBS aka YAPP)? (a new signal type that was not available in 0.6.3)
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
changnian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by changnian »

IRC discussion has revealed that trains may not depot at maintenance intervals because they cannot "find" the depot. This is a pathfinder issue; or, more precisely, a conflict between default pathfinder settings and some depot layouts.

If you set up depoting sidings on your main lines, you will probably signal the sidings. By the time the pathfinder searches down this path, it may count too many penalties and ignore it. I found this when creating depoting sidings with 13 or 14 tile approaches signaled every 2 tiles.

The solution is to increase yapf.maximum_go_to_depot_penalty; I found a modest increase sufficient. You can do this either by editing openttd.cfg directly or by opening the ingame console ("`") and typing:

set yapf.maximum_go_to_depot_penalty 3000

... or other value of your choice. The default is 2000. Note that editing the config file will not affect savegames; you must use console.

Now my trains pass on the main line if they are not in need of service and switch onto the siding if they require it. No goto depot orders or waypoints are required.
-Xiong
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

changnian wrote:IRC discussion has revealed that trains may not depot at maintenance intervals because they cannot "find" the depot. This is a pathfinder issue; or, more precisely, a conflict between default pathfinder settings and some depot layouts.

If you set up depoting sidings on your main lines, you will probably signal the sidings. By the time the pathfinder searches down this path, it may count too many penalties and ignore it. I found this when creating depoting sidings with 13 or 14 tile approaches signaled every 2 tiles.

The solution is to increase yapf.maximum_go_to_depot_penalty; I found a modest increase sufficient. You can do this either by editing openttd.cfg directly or by opening the ingame console ("`") and typing:

set yapf.maximum_go_to_depot_penalty 3000

... or other value of your choice. The default is 2000. Note that editing the config file will not affect savegames; you must use console.

Now my trains pass on the main line if they are not in need of service and switch onto the siding if they require it. No goto depot orders or waypoints are required.
And when was that revealed? In 2009 or 2011?

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”