Mac compiled nightly r14263 download

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

nulio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Mac compiled nightly r14263 download

Post by nulio »

Hi,

I just downloaded the latest nightly from here http://nightly.openttd.org/devs/scoreboard.php

I chose osx and installed it properly (adding all the folders and files) but it didn't work.

Can anybody tell me if that build is for mac osx intel or ppc?

Since I have intel the reason it didn't work could be that it's a ppc build.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Mac compiled nightly r14263 download

Post by Rubidium »

You most likely have OS X 10.5 (leopard) and then you are officially screwed as we cannot build binaries that work on that version of OS X without having a real Apple running OS X (which is way too expensive). Asking someone to compile said binaries every night is not managable. The only options for you are: downgrading to OS X 10.4 or compiling OpenTTD yourself.
nulio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by nulio »

Thanks for the quick answer.

If you want I can volunteer to compile stuff for Leopard :D
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

that would be rather brilliant. to be honest i've been unable to play nightlies for about year, which resulted in for instance vehicle lists buggering up due to the new vehicle pool not being available in 0.6.2 and the like.

i guess just a weekly or bi-weekly 10.5 nightly would be more than welcome. :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
nulio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by nulio »

For me it could be daily (or close to that).

I have now a svn client working that should make things easier. I just need some lights in the best way to do this, losing less time and insuring I don't make mistakes.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

i guess a crash course by mail or via the #openttd IRC channel at OFTC should do the trick. theoretically it should be possible to automate everything using AppleScripts so you've not to worry about anything. :)

i'm really looking forward to this.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Detig
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Detig »

Hi guys,

I've also tried to compile some recent builds on leopard to no avail.

Some error messages kept popping up at the end of the make command.

Hopefully nulio will have more luck with the compiling stuff than me!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Detig wrote:Hi guys,

I've also tried to compile some recent builds on leopard to no avail.

Some error messages kept popping up at the end of the make command.

Hopefully nulio will have more luck with the compiling stuff than me!
"Some error messages" are a quite detailed error description. I'm sure people will find and feel like fixing that error soon given such detailed description.
Detig
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Detig »

Putting aside the irony and sarcasm of your comment,

Did I asked for the error to be fixed? No.

Was I submitting a bug report? No.

As I think the problem is probably located somewhere between the screen and the chair, it renders the whole point of fixing through a detailed description useless.

I only made the comment that *I* couldn't compile it, with the aim of encouraging nulio to compile leopard compatible nightlies. Nothing more.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Detig wrote:As I think the problem is probably located somewhere between the screen and the chair, it renders the whole point of fixing through a detailed description useless.
This is a serious issue and I can't do anything about it. The only solution I can think of is termination :P

Putting sarcasm aside, people should really talk nicely to each other. It's not like it's a sin not to be able to compile something.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Detig wrote:Putting aside the irony and sarcasm of your comment,

Did I asked for the error to be fixed? No.
Was I submitting a bug report? No.

As I think the problem is probably located somewhere between the screen and the chair, it renders the whole point of fixing through a detailed description useless.

I only made the comment that *I* couldn't compile it, with the aim of encouraging nulio to compile leopard compatible nightlies. Nothing more.
As it then seems not to be a problem for you, I wonder why you post this in the "problems" section and not under "general talk" or alike.

But if you're interested in getting it compiled, there's only one way we can help you: you need to describe your problem before in detail and sequential order with what you've done exactly on what kind of system and what exactly the output of your computer was. This might also then give you an answer whether it actually IS software, installation or user error. Otherwise it's IMO from a devolopers perspective plainly annoying and my posting was meant as a polite way to make you aware of this. Good reading on this topic is this: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
Detig
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Detig »

planetmaker wrote: As it then seems not to be a problem for you, I wonder why you post this in the "problems" section and not under "general talk" or alike.
Let's recap. A user opens a thread with a problem regarding the use of nightlies under leopard. He offers to compile them himself. I encourage him to do so in face of my own lack of success (which I duly attributed to my own lameness with compilers) because being unable to play recent nightlies is a pain in the neck.

Is it that hard to understand?

Did I open a thread whining about an unspecified error wasting everybody's time and attention? No, I just kept my comments ontopic following the evolution of *this* thread.
planetmaker wrote:But if you're interested in getting it compiled, there's only one way we can help you: you need to describe your problem before in detail and sequential order with what you've done exactly on what kind of system and what exactly the output of your computer was. This might also then give you an answer whether it actually IS software, installation or user error. Otherwise it's IMO from a devolopers perspective plainly annoying and my posting was meant as a polite way to make you aware of this. Good reading on this topic is this: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
I'm sorry but your first post was anything but polite. Irony and sarcasm seldom make for polite comments.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

No, irony and sarcasm are polite. We could be insulting you and cussing at you.
Or we could be ignoring you, which would be even worse.

For more on this subject, check the links in my signature for the phrase "departure of clueful participants".
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Detig wrote:Is it that hard to understand?
Indeed. Posting in the problem section, not adding to a problem solution but mentioning a problem, I though you would want help. But I'm honestly very sorry I even tried to be of help in your particular case. Be sure, I won't bother you again.

*PLONK*
nulio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by nulio »

Back on topic. :)

Does anybody on the Developing team see the need to have stuff compiled for Leopard? If so do you want me to try regularly compile and upload them? :D
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

nulio wrote:Back on topic. :)

Does anybody on the Developing team see the need to have stuff compiled for Leopard? If so do you want me to try regularly compile and upload them? :D
That sounds like you solved the compile issue :) - great news. I'd very much hope so that there'll be an official Leopard version available again, soon :) Then I might then upgrade my OS-X :P
nulio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by nulio »

I guess so :) At least I was able to compile r14263.

I also installed the fink and svn but didn't use it yet. Using svn I won't need to type "./configure --revision=rXXXXX" right?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

nulio wrote:I guess so :) At least I was able to compile r14263.

I also installed the fink and svn but didn't use it yet. Using svn I won't need to type "./configure --revision=rXXXXX" right?
That's right - unless of course you modify the source and want to spoof a version string ;)

I guess this is what you want to do (though for private use the bundle isn't necessary as you can call the binary from xterm directly):

svn up -r <revision#>
./configure && make
make bundle

There might also be means to make a dmg; the sticky concerning compilation and the openttd website know the details I don't remember :)

Regards,
pm
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

planetmaker wrote: (..)
There might also be means to make a dmg; the sticky concerning compilation and the openttd website know the details I don't remember :)
(..)

Code: Select all

make bundle_dmg
;) (yes, it is that simple ;) )
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

planetmaker wrote:svn up -r <revision#>
./configure && make
make bundle
Unless the build system has an unusual setup, "./configure && make bundle" (or && make bundle_dmg) should work in place of the last two lines.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”