Game speed is too fast

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Sunny83
Engineer
Engineer

Game speed is too fast

Post by Sunny83 »

Hello.

I have downloaded the newest OpenTTD version, and the game speed is much faster then it used to bee, 1 month game takes like 60 seconds...

Is there any way to fix this? I kinda liked it when it was a bit slower :)

Thanks for all help!
Wold
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Game speed is too fast

Post by Wold »

Sunny83 wrote:Hello.

I have downloaded the newest OpenTTD version, and the game speed is much faster then it used to bee, 1 month game takes like 60 seconds...

Is there any way to fix this? I kinda liked it when it was a bit slower :)

Thanks for all help!
on the toolbar -> the second button ;)
high_nrj
Engineer
Engineer

Game speed is too fast

Post by high_nrj »

Hi,
the game is still quite fast, about 3s for a day, at least on my pc (Thunderbird 1.1Ghz with 380 DDRam).
Even in the old TTD the time elapse seemed a bit fast (I think it could have something to do with the performance of modern machines comparing to 486)
Can some file be edited? Is this mod hard to do?
Solving this issue would make the game much more enjoyable.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!
high_nrj
PhilSophus
Chairman
Chairman

Post by PhilSophus »

I think, you would have to change the sources for this, although it's possibly only a small change:

From src/date.h

Code: Select all

/**
 * 1 day is 74 ticks; _date_fract used to be uint16 and incremented by 885. On
 *                    an overflow the new day begun and 65535 / 885 = 74.
 * 1 tick is approximately 30 ms.
 * 1 day is thus about 2 seconds (74 * 30 = 2220) on a machine that can run OpenTTD normally
 */
#define DAY_TICKS 74
As far as I understand this, it should be independent of the speed of the computer (as long as the computer is fast enough).

You could try to change DAY_TICKS to a higher value and recompile openttd, although I am not sure whether this might break anything.

There also used to be a daylength patch http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=20006 but the last version was for r7031 (we are at r9623 now) and there was a report that something broke.
"The bigger the island of our knowledge, the longer the shore of our ignorance" - John A. Wheeler, Physicist, 1911-2008
gkirilov
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by gkirilov »

I think when the game balancing branch is finished it will have a option to change the day duration in real time (similar to the miniIN),
OTTDCoop NewGRF Pack|Different sets of GRFs for TTDPatch (some of them work in OTTD) - 1|- 2|GRF sets for OTTD|OTTD nightly
I hooked up my accelerator to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you. Spoilers and bodykits are how much of the wall you take with you. Rollcages and windownets are how much of a mess you leave on the wall.
chrissicom
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by chrissicom »

My brother is asking for this all the time also, but isn't there a huge economy problem with this? I mean you get paid differently for goods depending on how many tiles for how many days they are in transit. If you simply slow down the days you will be able to transport goods over the same distance in less days thus making your income explode and you're not low on money in this game anyway. I would really like time passing by slower myself in this game, but I think there's more that would need change like just the day speed, you would also need to change the cargo payment rates for this I think which might be a little more difficult.
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

Yes, I think, this is the main problem. I'd like to see a long-play version with one day lasting for about one minute. A game would last for about one month then. this would be great for multiplayer and large maps. Unfortunately the game would be too easy then.
gkirilov
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by gkirilov »

If this is important for you go get the miniIN. There was a economy problem(a long time ago) with it but was solved and the last time I played with miniIN everything was just fine!
OTTDCoop NewGRF Pack|Different sets of GRFs for TTDPatch (some of them work in OTTD) - 1|- 2|GRF sets for OTTD|OTTD nightly
I hooked up my accelerator to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you. Spoilers and bodykits are how much of the wall you take with you. Rollcages and windownets are how much of a mess you leave on the wall.
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

I tried that feature some time ago with MiniIN. Slower was easier by then, this may have been changed. The problem is, that I want to run a server with this feature - and most people will not download the right MiniIN version to join.
phil88
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by phil88 »

doktorhonig wrote:I tried that feature some time ago with MiniIN. Slower was easier by then, this may have been changed. The problem is, that I want to run a server with this feature - and most people will not download the right MiniIN version to join.
If you mod and re-compile the game to run slower I think the clients would have to have the same version that's on the server anyway, so they'd have to download the version you made.
- Phil
high_nrj
Engineer
Engineer

Game speed is too fast

Post by high_nrj »

Thanks all for your posts ... I have to thank PhilSophus for the hint and for the link. Following them I came to the conclusion that I will wait a little to see how this thing it will be developed.
This option of the patch should please players who focus more on economics and those who just like to build, and play an easyer game.
high_nrj

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”