Alaska/Winter scenario - Why cant I get Trains??

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

mistermarky
Engineer
Engineer

Alaska/Winter scenario - Why cant I get Trains??

Post by mistermarky »

Hi there people,

Ive been playing TT for more years than I care to remember and was over the moon when I stumbled by accident accross OpenTTD.
However I am a newbie here on the forums.

Ive sort of got to grips with downloading and setting up new graphics but I wonder if anyone can help me here;

I normally play just the standard terrain (Is it called the British? Im not sure) however I occasionally like to play the Alaska/Winter terrain. And herein lies my problem.

Why can I not build Railways under this scenario? All the infrastructure is there (Stations/Tracks etc), however when it comes to actually wanting to get a train running, there are only engines, no carriages (neithe freight or passenger) for me to purchase???

What am I doing wrong?? Any suggestions??

All of the other vehicles (ie Road/Sea/Air) are available.

Im sure Im probably not setting graphics up correct.

Thanks in advance.
Marky
Plord
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Alaska/Winter scenario - Why cant I get Trains??

Post by Plord »

mmmmm that is odd, do you have any newgrf? or are you using the base set? and what is your start date?

1.- if the answer for question one is true, then that newgrf doesnt have support for that climate

2.- if the answer for question two is true and question three is also true, then you are beginning to early (or to late) in the game.

3.- second question true but thid question false, thats odd...
FLHerne
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FLHerne »

mistermarky wrote:Why can I not build Railways under this scenario? All the infrastructure is there (Stations/Tracks etc), however when it comes to actually wanting to get a train running, there are only engines, no carriages (neithe freight or passenger) for me to purchase???
Are you using any NewGRFs, particularly ones providing rail vehicles? If so, which?

What's the date? The baseset rail vehicles become unavailable after a while, in favour of monorail/maglev (electric trains don't exist in sub-arctic).
Temporary Permanent signature filling text. Content coming soon delayed indefinitely! Oh, and I have had a screenshot thread.
Linux user (XMonad DWM/KDE, Arch), IRC obsessive and rail enthusiast. No longer building robots; now I ring church bells.
Author of an incredibly boring stickied post about NewGRFs.
mistermarky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mistermarky »

Hi people thanks for the replies so far.
Im still confused :roll:

I usually start a game around about 1st Jan 1965 but I tried the above suggestions, both moving the date back and forward, but still no trains!! Lol

I have downloaded lots of new graphics but cant seem to incorporate them into the sub arctic scenario. One thing I will also try is playing a game in the desert/jungle scenario. (I never bother with that one so I will see if I get the same problem).

Regarding the new graphics - Is there something I am not doing when trying to apply them to a game? I seem to manage ok importing them into the normal scenario - is there something I need to do different on the arctic one?

Thanks again!
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

When you load a game or scenario, settings of that file are used. If you start a new game or make a scenario, the settings as you set them in the intro screen are used.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

mistermarky wrote:All the infrastructure is there (Stations/Tracks etc), however (...) there are only engines, no carriages (...) All of the other vehicles (ie Road/Sea/Air) are available.
mistermarky wrote:I usually start a game around about 1st Jan 1965 but I tried the above suggestions, both moving the date back and forward, but still no trains!!
Can you give us the list of NewGRFs you have selected for the Arctic game? If you still have no trains even when starting at the default year, then it's likely that none of your selected custom train sets are compatible with the Arctic climate. This is common because several train sets are only compatible with the Temperate climate.
mistermarky wrote:I have downloaded lots of new graphics but cant seem to incorporate them into the sub arctic scenario.
If by "scenario" you mean starting a new game with the Arctic climate, then selecting NewGRFs is the same as for the Temperate climate. From the main menu, go into "NewGRF Settings" and select the NewGRFs you'd like to use. As long as those NewGRFs are compatible with the Arctic climate, they should work.

If, on the other hand, you mean an actual scenario, as in, via the main menu option "Play Scenario" (rather than "New Game"), then that's different.

Fan-made scenarios are, essentially, saved games. When a scenario maker goes into the "Scenario Editor", and has NewGRFs currently activated (as explained above), the scenario, once saved, will remember that information, and when another user downloads it and tries to play it, they will need those NewGRFs in order to actually be able to load the scenario.

But if you mean a new randomized game in the Arctic climate, then that's not an issue. : )
mistermarky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mistermarky »

Hello - quick update.

By pure accident I messed about with a few parameters - I think I changed one of the settings to use the last vehicle or train set to be used when starting a new game - if that makes sense!

Anyway - whatever I did - it seems to have worked!! - I can now happily play in the Alaska environment with trains!

I know what I will be doing until the early hours :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all your help folks

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”